Oh ok I see it. But yes spell check saves me on my emails too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-08 01:15 PM
    I don't see a reason to a kid to have a cell under 13 never mind a BB. The only reason I might let my 9 y/o have a phone is so I can get the bold just add a line so I don't have to wait till contract is up. But I won't let him have it all the time only if he goes to friends or father's. Not to school.

06-01-08 02:12 PM
    I would say college is the best time to introduce people to a BB. That way they can begin to use it to its fullest.

I see many adults with Pearls and I know they're using them just as cell phones. Makes me laugh.
    06-01-08 03:04 PM
    I was just wondering how many have let their kids get a BB. At what age did they get their first BB? I have 3 kids age 14,12 and 8. They all have cell phones but I am the only one with a BB at the moment

Even your 3 year old has a cell phone?! Can he/she actually use it??
    06-01-08 03:44 PM
    Even your 3 year old has a cell phone?! Can he/she actually use it??
    lol no if you carefully read the OP it says he has 3 kids.... not a 3 year old
    06-01-08 03:58 PM
    Yea, I'm about to turn 19 now and I didn't even get ANY cellphone until i was about 15 or 16, and that's only because I had a part-time job, my little sister's dad bought her a cell phone when she was 8, she's had 3 replacements since then and she never keeps it charged. So the one reason he said he got it for her "so he knew where she was", isn't even legit anymore because she never has it turned on.
    06-01-08 04:04 PM
    This has always been an interesting topic. Not even how old for a berry, but how old for a cell phone.

With great talk time, comes great responsibility...

First phone I got was @ 17 when I started driving. Phone was a gift, the monthly bill was mine. I really don't see a reason for any kid to have one before Jr, or Sr. year of high school. Teach your children to check in every couple of hours and they shouldn't need one. We've just become spoiled with convenience. Pay phones were and still seem to be quite available where I grew up. Even with out change, I'd place collect calls to home, so my mom could hear... "You have a collect call from 'mom I'm playing basketball at the park' (spoken very fast)." To keep track of school work, schedule, assignments? Nothing a pen and pad can't accomplish.
    06-01-08 05:24 PM
    I find it so funny to see kids with phones. Not too long ago, when I was younger, I got odd looks from people when I talked on mine. Now everyone and their dog have cell phones!

06-01-08 05:47 PM
    Well when I was a teen I was just lucky to have my own personal phone line at home. There were no cell phones. I say if they can afford to pay for it themselves then by all means go ahead get them one.
    06-01-08 05:51 PM
    Your own personal line at home??! ****, my parents gave me a time limit on the phone. I had to be all quiet in my room after they went to bed to be able to talk...lol! And a pager? never. i finally got one when i was 16 cause the store i worked in sold them and they let me sign up for one without my parents.
    06-01-08 06:08 PM
    i was 18...

i was 14 when i got my first PHONE
    06-01-08 06:11 PM
    I was about 16 when my parents made me start keeping this monstrosity in the car with me...

I had the cheapo cell phones once I graduated high school and finally broke into the smartphone world when I hit my mid 20's since I had to help manage the family business. Now I see kids walking around with BB's and wonder "what could they possibly need that for?" But oh well. As long as someone is paying for it...
    06-01-08 06:32 PM
    lol no if you carefully read the OP it says he has 3 kids.... not a 3 year old
    ****, read it not so carefully and it says he has 3 kids.
    06-01-08 06:33 PM
    I was about 16 when my parents made me start keeping this monstrosity in the car with me...

I had the cheapo cell phones once I graduated high school and finally broke into the smartphone world when I hit my mid 20's since I had to help manage the family business. Now I see kids walking around with BB's and wonder "what could they possibly need that for?" But oh well. As long as someone is paying for it...
    Hey man don't hate on the old school bag phone. It was the latest and greatest thing back then. Just think in 4-5 years, what people might say about the Curve. Great thing and technology is that it doesn't sleep. I miss the old bag phone.
    06-01-08 06:56 PM

That looks just like my first cell phone...... of course I was about 27 when I got it
    06-01-08 07:16 PM
    if its that serious get them what I call a "Kiddie Kick" They would probably appreciate that waaaaay more that their age...
    06-01-08 07:21 PM
    My nine year old has a samsung slider.......the blast I believe. He talks to family members and enjoys all the games, but he really wants to get his hands on my pearl all the time. He likes to google EVERYTHING. Of course his searching is supervised because he is young still but when he's a bit older I will def get him one. Maybe when I eventually upgrade! I agree tho that you need to make sure your kids will take care of it. I'd hate to be the one footing the bill to replace it after a week. But then all my phones have equipyment protection for that reason!

M

06-01-08 07:52 PM
    My nine year old has a samsung slider.......the blast I believe. He talks to family members and enjoys all the games, but he really wants to get his hands on my pearl all the time. He likes to google EVERYTHING. Of course his searching is supervised because he is young still but when he's a bit older I will def get him one. Maybe when I eventually upgrade! I agree tho that you need to make sure your kids will take care of it. I'd hate to be the one footing the bill to replace it after a week. But then all my phones have equipyment protection for that reason!

M

Wow you have a 9 y/o you look verry young!
    06-01-08 08:18 PM
    I plan to give my son his first cellphone when he is 5-6 years old. It will be a phone designed for a kid that can only call a select number of pre-programmed numbers though. He will get a "more normal" phone when he hits his pre-teen/early teens, but it will be prepaid. If he wants a "cool" phone with bells and whistles, he is going to have to pay for it himself as well as prove to me that he can understand the financial liability involved with misusing it.

I would never buy a child a BlackBerry. There is no reason for it, and nobody can prove to me there is. I was a busy teenager with friends, after school activities, sports, and other things; yet I managed to make due with a pen and paper planner. I am 26, so it wasn't "that" long ago, and if I could do it, kids nowadays can too. I don't care how popular email and IMing has become, they still don't need access to it 24/7.

A traveling business man NEEDS access to data and email. A local business person that is constantly out of their shop/store/office NEEDS access to data/email. Their livelihoods depend on being in touch, so they have reasons to own a BB. A teenager doesn't NEED to constantly be on AIM, or have access to their email. There is nothing in a teen's life that would require they have 24/7 access to their email, so...

In short, if they want it, they can get it themselves. I believe in being in touch, but a simple flip phone is all they need for that.
    06-01-08 08:32 PM
    Ok well i must say that i agree with many of the above posts... i purchased my first smart phone when i was in college and since then i have never looked back and have owned several however in regards to the OP i feel that if the teen/child wants a black berry and they can afford to buy it and pay for the addt data then go for it... however you would be surprised as where i live in S. Florida children 12+ are very commonly seen with BB pearls... as a matter a fact i was eating at a small restaurant on Fri replying to an email when i saw this young girl had to be about 13y/o texting back and forth on her bright red curve... so ya down here in the south florida area (Palm beach) it is normal to see the youngsters with pearls and curves...
    Same here in S Tampa.....far too many children with bbs....but hey, I'm not their parents, so I don't care. My son isn't interested in any kind of PDA/smartphone--until he needs his info--then he calls me--bc he knows I have his entire life, formerly on my Palm, now on my BB.
    06-01-08 08:38 PM
    I plan to give my son his first cellphone when he is 5-6 years old. It will be a phone designed for a kid that can only call a select number of pre-programmed numbers though. He will get a "more normal" phone when he hits his pre-teen/early teens, but it will be prepaid. If he wants a "cool" phone with bells and whistles, he is going to have to pay for it himself as well as prove to me that he can understand the financial liability involved with misusing it.

I would never buy a child a BlackBerry. There is no reason for it, and nobody can prove to me there is. I was a busy teenager with friends, after school activities, sports, and other things; yet I managed to make due with a pen and paper planner. I am 26, so it wasn't "that" long ago, and if I could do it, kids nowadays can too. I don't care how popular email and IMing has become, they still don't need access to it 24/7.

A traveling business man NEEDS access to data and email. A local business person that is constantly out of their shop/store/office NEEDS access to data/email. Their livelihoods depend on being in touch, so they have reasons to own a BB. A teenager doesn't NEED to constantly be on AIM, or have access to their email. There is nothing in a teen's life that would require they have 24/7 access to their email, so...

In short, if they want it, they can get it themselves. I believe in being in touch, but a simple flip phone is all they need for that.
    REALLY??? a phone at 5? However did we survive without that?
    06-01-08 08:40 PM
    I find it so funny to see kids with phones. Not too long ago, when I was younger, I got odd looks from people when I talked on mine. Now everyone and their dog have cell phones!

shhhhh--my dogs still don't have cellphones, I keep telling them they don't need them-LOL
    06-01-08 08:43 PM
    I plan to get my child a cell phone when she turns five, also. It's more about safety and being able to check in on her myself, as opposed to having to call the school, sitter, etc and ask them if she's ok. At the end of the day, I trust nobody but myself (where she is concerned). It will be a prepaid flip, nothing fancy, but knowing my genes probably passed right on to her, I can safely assume she will have a pearl (or similar berry) by the time that she's ten. I am an organization freak, and definitely see bits of that in her. So based on the child's personality, it is true they may have legitimate uses for the berry after all.
    06-01-08 08:57 PM
    REALLY??? a phone at 5? However did we survive without that?
    We survived a different world... I don't want to give my kid a phone that young because of status, or because he wants one. I want to give him one at that age for safety reasons, which is also why it will be a child-safe phone that can only call pre-programmed numbers.
    Last edited by CrazEtooN; 06-03-08 at 07:54 AM.
    06-01-08 09:06 PM
    the spell check i intigrated more with your email on 4.5.0.3.7 it even dosn't ask youto send till your done checking
    I'm not sure what the intention of your post was other than to demonstrate that your spell check does NOT work!
    06-01-08 09:34 PM
132 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD