There will always be exceptions, in the same way some non-tattooed people might say tattooed people are drop outs, I'm fairly sure we're not haha.
    Recently I discovered a rant on quite a respected figure in the tattoo community's Myspace. I say rant, it was more like pure venomous hatred.
    It would seem that some find young people with visible ink, impatient and disrespectful, and they must all just think it's cool to have visible work.
    I'm 23, My first tattoo was on my shoulder, then my wrists, then I got a full sleeve. Then I moved to my hands, then neck and I also have a large part of my leg tattooed.
    It took me about two years to get the opportunity to get my hand tattooed by my idol, and then my neck by an artist I greatly admire, a lot of time, effort and thought was put into both of these.
    Even though I'm somewhat older and do have a fair bit of coverage, I might still be classed as young and "under-tattooed" to have such visible work, and I can't help but think that's kinda crazy!
    Sure I've seen some 18 year olds with kanji on their necks or poorly executed skulls on their hands, and you can almost tell they rushed into it, wanting everyone to see their new work as clearly as possible, and fine that to me is impatient and maybe even attention seeking.
    Basically what I'm trying to say is that not everyone who has visible work is disrespectful to the art, some people invest a great deal of time, money and effort into getting that particular location inked with the highest standard work possible.
    It's kinda funny to find prejudice within a community that tries so hard to divert it away from itself.

Thoughts?
    06-13-08 01:19 PM
    I think a lot of kids get it to be cool. At least a couple of the kids I know did. There was no thought or meaning behind their tattoos.
    I don't look at tattoos as bad or anything, I myself wouldn't get one however. I just think those that do it as an art and form of expression feel their form of expression is being violated by those who look at it as pop culture.
    06-13-08 02:34 PM
    One main concern is your work environment. There is a principal in Japan who is covered head to toe, but every morning he goes through his routine to cover everything up for the little children.

Tattooed or not, it's all about how you present yourself. Maybe it's not the ink people are seeing as disrepectful, but the way our younger generation is such a BESNATCH! I hate to sound old (Being 25) but "kids these days" don't have as much respect as they use to.

I'm still in the process of finishing my sleeve, but luckily for me, having visible ink at work isn't that big of an issue. But I do cover it up for the most part. If I know I have to be in a meeting with one of my BIG WIGS then of course I'm not going to wear a short sleeve shirt to the meeting. But outside the office, it's a free for all. I find it kind of funny when out kicking it with coworkers and they get very surprised to see some of my tats because they never expected it.
    06-15-08 02:30 AM
    Doesn't affect me either way. Never really thought abt tattoos. I like watching Miami Ink. See some real works of art there.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-08 03:13 PM
    I have no tattoos or prejudices against those who do, but I think the OP may be right in one of his statements.

A lot of people, young and old get them with absolutely no forethought or understanding.

Funny story. About a year ago I stopped into a 7-11 here in CT to get gas and some coffee. The young man at the register had a tattoo on his arm of some Chinese symbols.

He noticed me looking at them and before he could say a word I said, "Wow, you must really like pork fried rice"

By the time I left I thought the kid was going to cry. He literally had no idea what those symbols meant (me either for that matter), just thought they looked cool.

I should be ashamed of myself, but it kinda made my day
    06-15-08 04:08 PM
    I must say amazinglygraceless, your posts are highlights to read on this forum. Hilarious and informative.

About tattoos...I do agree that most people don't think a lot before they get them. Most of the people I know have names of someone, or the "tramp stamp" area done. But it seems like I've been around people tattooing or getting tattooed for a large portion of my life. So it's considered to be somewhat normal in my family. My brother has his head, hands, and neck done with full sleeves. Me, I'm too young yet to have all that (he's 26). But I do have my neck done and a large piece on my leg, to name a few. But when people see me and my brother together, it's like fear strikes there eye. And we couldn't be more polite and or more respectful people. That's just how we were raised. I don't know, I think people always just think the worst. Clutch their children in fear, oh yes, I'm going to eat them because I have ink....
    06-15-08 06:48 PM
    Both my husband and myself both have ink.
    I don't judge others with or without ink.

06-15-08 07:24 PM
    Tattoos have always been a big part of my life. My daddy was a canadian merchant, and got tattoos in all the different places he visited in the world. Needless to say, he is relatively covered - two sleeves and a chest piece. He now runs a port in california, tats and all. His ink never affected his job, and he has never regretted any of his work because each piece has a meaning abd a story behind it.
    That being said, I've always thought it was foolish when a person gets a tattoo with no meaning. Ink is a very permanent decision. When I decided to get my first tat at 18, I made sure it had meaning. I have 7 total at present, and they all have meaning. I decided early that I would get a lot of the same things my daddy has, as we are very close. My first tats were two sailor jerry sparrows on my back, which are meant to bring protection. I still love them to this day. my most recent tats are on the front of my hipbones. One is an anchor with an oldschool banner that says dad, the other is a heart with a banner that sats mum.

I also made sure that all my work was easily covered. tattoos are not really appropriate in my line of work, but I still can enjoy mine in my offtime.

06-15-08 07:37 PM
    I have loved tattoo's all my life, I waited till I was 30 and after I had kids to get my first tattoo... I now have over 24 and love every one of them. The stigma that comes with having tattoo's is unfortunate...I get alot of looks, and not all are appreciative. I feel to each their own, and maybe just don't judge someone before you get to know them...
    06-15-08 07:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD