I figured I would start a thread on what folks are doing during this Quarantine shutdown period.

My twin brother and myself are getting caught up on our maintenance around the house and seem to be watching more TV then we normally do.

Find ourselves watching vintage NFL and NHL games along with some vintage golf on the golf channel. Just wanted to start a thread to keep folks upbeat during this crisis in our country.

Be safe and healthy, watch over your friends, neighbors, family and we will all get through this as a nation and be stronger in the end.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-29-20 07:12 PM
    I'm home schooling our 2 kids while the wife works (medical field). FWIW, teachers don't nearly get enough credit for the work they have to do or their patience.

I also do a lot of leather craft work and can make a lot of different things. This keeps me occupied for now...

Posted via CB10
    Laura Knotek and bakron1 like this.
    03-29-20 11:47 PM
    I’m getting all those annoying little jobs around the house done.

Also posting on Crackberry.
    bakron1 and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-07-20 08:01 AM
    I’m getting all those annoying little jobs around the house done.

Also posting on Crackberry.
    My sister has my brother in law doing her honey due list, so far they have remodeled half of their house which is a good thing.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-07-20 09:20 AM
    Working from home unfortunately! Keeping busy with that along with my gf and her 2 boys

Posted via CB10
    05-08-20 08:42 AM
    I am currently working online at home too. We were transferred home from the office. I'm already used to it and I'm starting to like it. The most difficult thing is to establish systematicity and discipline.
    I worked out of my home office for many years and I used the same discipline as if I was working for someone.

The nice perk was when I got caught of on my current workload, I could just take off and run my errands during normal business hours, not running my tail off trying to get there before the store closed.
    nevilleadaniels likes this.
    12-23-20 04:04 PM
    I'm home schooling our 2 kids while the wife works (medical field). FWIW, teachers don't nearly get enough credit for the work they have to do or their patience.

I also do a lot of leather craft work and can make a lot of different things. This keeps me occupied for now...

Posted via CB10
    Interesting about the leather-craft. I know this an old post but if you see it..... what type of leather item do you enjoy the most?
    01-10-21 12:22 PM
    It is very important to remove all distractions while working at home and focus on work. I also use the Pomodoro technique to focus my attention.
    I have been self employed and working out of a home office for over 20 years and have never had an issue focusing on the task at hand.

I treat it like I was working for another employer and my work ethic has been the same my entire life. Be on time, stay focused and get the job completed on schedule.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    01-10-21 02:25 PM
    It is very important to remove all distractions while working at home and focus on work. I also use the Pomodoro technique to focus my attention.
    I don’t think I could do 25 minute intervals but I could see 50-60 minute intervals. At some point, your job performance does become some factor of diminishing returns.
    01-10-21 07:40 PM
    Hi, I'm currently working on a home cinema. I'm searching for a good beamer at the moment. I found a article about beamers but it's in german, but you can translate it with an browser tool. I think there are some good ones..does anyone know a good beamer for using at home? The Link to the article is: https://www.heimkinoheld.de/beamer-test/
    01-13-21 03:21 AM
    I took up photography during quarantine, which I have been meaning to do for years. I especially love instant cameras because I think the pictures make such nice keepsakes and you can have a lot of fun with them. I read a lot of articles about Polaroid camers such as this one before finally getting myself one for Christmas. (The article is in German, but you can easily translate it with Google Translate if you’re interested.) I already took a few pictures out in the wild, but I am still figuring out the best amount of lightning and stuff like that. But I can’t wait for summer, when I’ll hopefully be able to use my camera with family and friends!
    bakron1 likes this.
    01-28-21 07:43 AM
    During my stay in quarantine, many talents were revealed to me, I learned how to make furniture from wood and now I make handmade tables and tables to order.
    Sounds like your being rewarded for you hard efforts, good luck on your newfound talents.
    02-12-21 05:31 PM
    I figured I would start a thread on what folks are doing during this Quarantine shutdown period.

My twin brother and myself are getting caught up on our maintenance around the house and seem to be watching more TV then we normally do.

Find ourselves watching vintage NFL and NHL games along with some vintage golf on the golf channel. Just wanted to start a thread to keep folks upbeat during this crisis in our country.

Be safe and healthy, watch over your friends, neighbors, family and we will all get through this as a nation and be stronger in the end.
    My latest endeavors were the Super Bowl events before and better yet, after.
    02-13-21 04:11 PM
    I've been working from home as a tech writer for over 10 years. I'm also a homebody so I haven't had many issues "adjusting" to the new reality. The worst part is knowing it's hurting many people, including loved ones, and lots of people are struggling.

I am comfortable at home, doing projects, working, watching weird sci fi/horror, watching not those with my wife, writing, going on walks, yoga, playing bass, sleeping, eating, drinking, reading, listening to podcasts etc. Recently I converted our home VoIP line (rarely used) to a fax machine...just because! Have had to send faxes as alternatives to mail or going somewhere in person.

On a BlackBerry-related note, I set up my old Keyone BE for my wife and set myself up with an SE. I was back on a Q5 for awhile and my wife had a Classic, but we both wanted something that ran apps decently and supported the covid app. The rear cameras are botched so I ordered some new ones. I love how easy it is to replace a part on some BBs.

Stay safe and we'll, everyone. We take the situation very seriously. We are in NL and just had a huge outbreak tied to the UK variant. Everyone needs to do their part and stay home. Find a way to be comfortable with it because not everyone is so fortunate. Be kind to yourself and others
    02-13-21 07:16 PM
    I've been working from home as a tech writer for over 10 years. I'm also a homebody so I haven't had many issues "adjusting" to the new reality. The worst part is knowing it's hurting many people, including loved ones, and lots of people are struggling.

I am comfortable at home, doing projects, working, watching weird sci fi/horror, watching not those with my wife, writing, going on walks, yoga, playing bass, sleeping, eating, drinking, reading, listening to podcasts etc. Recently I converted our home VoIP line (rarely used) to a fax machine...just because! Have had to send faxes as alternatives to mail or going somewhere in person.

On a BlackBerry-related note, I set up my old Keyone BE for my wife and set myself up with an SE. I was back on a Q5 for awhile and my wife had a Classic, but we both wanted something that ran apps decently and supported the covid app. The rear cameras are botched so I ordered some new ones. I love how easy it is to replace a part on some BBs.

Stay safe and we'll, everyone. We take the situation very seriously. We are in NL and just had a huge outbreak tied to the UK variant. Everyone needs to do their part and stay home. Find a way to be comfortable with it because not everyone is so fortunate. Be kind to yourself and others
    A fellow tech writer like myself, I worked out of a home office for many years. I am pretty much retired now and only do small technical manuals for one long time client.

It keeps my brain fresh and gives me and my brother extra golf money. It may sound funny, but I still enjoy doing technical writing, keeps me focused.
    02-19-21 04:58 AM
    Spending my time under seemingly more and more unnecessarily misguided health house arrest, and researching some of the horrible aspects of the development of those experimental treatments known as covid-19 "vaccines", and other vaccines in general. I never knew how bad they really are in the human, yes human ingredients used to test each batch and in the development and sometimes the contents of said vaccines (lifesitenews). I won't be taking any of them. I'll stick with Hydroxycloriquine and Invermectin if i must (that's if I develop anything serious beyond the seasonal sniffles). Don't get me wrong I'm all for not spreading something dangerous to the most vulnerable and maybe keeping that social distancing thing with strangers going - but shutting down the entire economy? Whose idea was this, other than bureaucrats, their projections and politicians trying to look like they are an essential business, or needed for doing something? Seeing the absolute damage to the livlihoods for all small retail business owners and workers alike is terrible. Although reduced traffic pollution and reduced car travel for most, but not all, is just a tiny silver lining, and working from home most of the time for most could be a permanent boon? I'm finding television is tedious, especially for what passes for most contemporary entertainment and News, and would rather watch a televised Catholic Mass or even a Stations of the Cross instead - its more soothing and peaceful. But been looking online for used cars and been watching youtube car repair videos with some fascination lately, especially since i own one of those most often dissed by some people, those North American made people movers (Grand Caravans/Town & Country) - which have served me quite well as far as ownership problems, contrary to a lot of the hype, maybe i've been lucky or just maintained them properly? Not sure why, But I Am also keeping my distractions to the maximum apparently....
    bh7171 likes this.
    02-20-21 11:34 PM
    Spending my time under seemingly more and more unnecessarily misguided health house arrest, and researching some of the horrible aspects of the development of those experimental treatments known as covid-19 "vaccines", and other vaccines in general. I never knew how bad they really are in the human, yes human ingredients used to test each batch and in the development and sometimes the contents of said vaccines (lifesitenews). I won't be taking any of them. I'll stick with Hydroxycloriquine and Invermectin if i must (that's if I develop anything serious beyond the seasonal sniffles). Don't get me wrong I'm all for not spreading something dangerous to the most vulnerable and maybe keeping that social distancing thing with strangers going - but shutting down the entire economy? Whose idea was this, other than bureaucrats, their projections and politicians trying to look like they are an essential business, or needed for doing something? Seeing the absolute damage to the livlihoods for all small retail business owners and workers alike is terrible. Although reduced traffic pollution and reduced car travel for most, but not all, is just a tiny silver lining, and working from home most of the time for most could be a permanent boon? I'm finding television is tedious, especially for what passes for most contemporary entertainment and News, and would rather watch a televised Catholic Mass or even a Stations of the Cross instead - its more soothing and peaceful. But been looking online for used cars and been watching youtube car repair videos with some fascination lately, especially since i own one of those most often dissed by some people, those North American made people movers (Grand Caravans/Town & Country) - which have served me quite well as far as ownership problems, contrary to a lot of the hype, maybe i've been lucky or just maintained them properly? Not sure why, But I Am also keeping my distractions to the maximum apparently....
    The world has seen 2.5 million covid deaths so far, but models suggest it would have been over 40 million without interventions.

What would your plan have been?

The intention was never to eliminate the virus - it was to keep the case numbers low enough to not overwhelm the health care systems. And even with the existing restrictions, they often still did.
    anon(5597702) and pkcable like this.
    02-21-21 12:06 AM
    The world has seen 2.5 million covid deaths so far, but models suggest it would have been over 40 million without interventions.

What would your plan have been?

The intention was never to eliminate the virus - it was to keep the case numbers low enough to not overwhelm the health care systems. And even with the existing restrictions, they often still did.
    Models aren't facts. They're just models and they can be way off.

Canada is a case in point, they are so panicked because they have the lowest number of hospital beds per capita of Western Nations, what are they doing with you tax money instead? Special parades? I'm thinking a few field hospitals would have been far more appropriate this far in, instead of draconian lockdowns. Sure let some opt out of close contact labor (by special legislative force for designated risky businesses) but don't force closures and force handouts. Its a bad thing.

Africa is doing well, no lockdowns - but they also take their "Sunday Sunday pill" - Hydroxycloroquine for malaria regularly, it is another interesting story that is buried.

Also look more closely at those numbers, people with pre-existing serious conditions (co-morbidities) make up the vast majority of deaths (including very old age).
    bh7171 likes this.
    02-21-21 09:38 PM
    Models aren't facts. They're just models and they can be way off.

Canada is a case in point, they are so panicked because they have the lowest number of hospital beds per capita of Western Nations, what are they doing with you tax money instead? Special parades? I'm thinking a few field hospitals would have been far more appropriate this far in, instead of draconian lockdowns. Sure let some opt out of close contact labor (by special legislative force for designated risky businesses) but don't force closures and force handouts. Its a bad thing.

Africa is doing well, no lockdowns - but they also take their "Sunday Sunday pill" - Hydroxycloroquine for malaria regularly, it is another interesting story that is buried.

Also look more closely at those numbers, people with pre-existing serious conditions (co-morbidities) make up the vast majority of deaths (including very old age).
    Ok, I don't want to jump down the wacko conspiracy hole with you. End.
    02-21-21 09:55 PM
    Ok, I don't want to jump down the wacko conspiracy hole with you. End.
    What conspiracies? None, do a little research. But fine, don't if it is too disturbing for your comfort.

Hospital beds per 1,000 (2016) US: 2.77 vs 2.58 Canada
    Intensive care beds per 100k US: 29.4 vs 13.5 Canada
    Occupancy rate: US 64% vs 91.6% Canada (potentially no capacity for an increase of patients that a pandemic might cause)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._hospital_beds

Canada may have a decent healthcare system for some things, that's not what i'm championing or disputing, I'm disputing their reserve capacity - which explains draconian lockdowns that have caused a whole host of other problems for individuals and families, including health related ones. They don't (or didn't) even know how many respirators they have? And remember all the expired strategic health reserves? Or did you forget that one already. I won't get into the policy problems of government medicine imposes over the consciencious objections of medical personal in the Canadian system, especially when run by the latest rushed batch of not ready for governance people governing Canada following some extremist agendas disguised as your old governing parties.
    Last edited by i_plod_an_dr_void; 02-21-21 at 10:38 PM.
    bh7171 likes this.
    02-21-21 09:59 PM
    I'm finding television is tedious, especially for what passes for most contemporary entertainment and News
    Smacks of white (assuming male?) privilege. If this is one of your main "hardships", count yourself lucky and figure out something else to do. Hopefully you get some small amount of satisfaction that your boredom is actually helping someone and it's not all about you.

do a little research
    Sharing a Wikipedia link, coupled with conclusions that you choose to see to make your own point hardly qualifies as "research."

Can't count the number of logical fallacies in your overall argument, but gotta love this statement. No lockdowns, rapid spread of variant, extremely high case numbers/death count...not sure how you can dub that "doing well" with a straight face.

Sure, I differ with conite from time to time, but in this regard he's right...it's not worth going down this rabbit hole. I hope, for your sake and others, you're just a keyboard warrior and you're not actively going out of your way to put others at risk, nor complaining about a little piece of cloth on your face while healthcare workers have to suit up and deal with so much more risk than you.
    misterabrasive likes this.
    02-22-21 08:32 AM
    Smacks of white (assuming male?) privilege. If this is one of your main "hardships", count yourself lucky and figure out something else to do. Hopefully you get some small amount of satisfaction that your boredom is actually helping someone and it's not all about you.

Sharing a Wikipedia link, coupled with conclusions that you choose to see to make your own point hardly qualifies as "research."

Can't count the number of logical fallacies in your overall argument, but gotta love this statement. No lockdowns, rapid spread of variant, extremely high case numbers/death count...not sure how you can dub that "doing well" with a straight face.

Sure, I differ with conite from time to time, but in this regard he's right...it's not worth going down this rabbit hole. I hope, for your sake and others, you're just a keyboard warrior and you're not actively going out of your way to put others at risk, nor complaining about a little piece of cloth on your face while healthcare workers have to suit up and deal with so much more risk than you.
    While I’m not going down the IPA rabbit hole, I can state that much of the rest of the USA has been following similar guidelines as discussed. My state, Florida, is the one state where things have been pretty much throttles open and proceed at your own risk. My kids have been attending school, attending school and club sports activities as volleyball players since last May full-time under USAV guidelines. We’ve attended one Stanley Cup event and two Super Bowl events. I would say other than masking inside retail, school and sports facilities, our lives aren’t really different than before.

Florida has what’s considered a high percentage of senior citizens than most if not all states. I don’t think our death rate or positivity test results are measurably different than any other state. We are third largest state by population. New York is fourth largest state and we have many geographic and demographic similarities. Our COVID-19 response has been almost 180 degrees opposite and I don’t believe results have been measurably different.

I don’t really believe anyone can state conclusively why or what has been different or successful. Our approach has been go outside at own risk and social distance when possible.
    bakron1 and i_plod_an_dr_void like this.
    02-22-21 01:12 PM