...how many of you have got a 9700 for your family members, especially older ones?
    My Mum is currently using an 8310 and it's running fine but it's so old I wanted her to have a shiny new device. So I got her one exactly like mine, which I love.
    Have any of you got your parents kicking and screaming into the 21st century?
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 04-11-10 at 08:02 AM.
    04-10-10 11:06 AM
    My mum hasn't mastered the TV remote yet... so there's no chance of her getting a berry anytime soon
    04-10-10 11:50 AM
    Amen phill_UK...my mum asked me how to turn on the pc the other day...great (:

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-10-10 02:18 PM
    I gave my mom a 8330, she doesn't really use it all that much except for calls. She finds that the buttons are too small without her glasses. So it pretty much just sits on her desk. I'm really looking forward to a theme to come out for it that has large icons/text.
    04-10-10 02:33 PM
    Hey there! Well, at least she's used to a BlackBerry, even if it's an old one. She'll probably be fine. My mum could never understand how a smartphone works, she's 90 and has not one shred of technology in her.
    04-10-10 02:37 PM
    My mom uses a 8100 pearl lol. I don't think she would be able to use a 9700 though. that's nice of you to get her a new phone

04-10-10 05:09 PM
    LOL!!! Well my Mum must be a rarity...she's a spunky old broad. She's got a laptop an a desktop, her mobility is a bit impaired so I got her a laptop and when she saw my BBerry a few years back she immediately wanted me to replace her Motorola V551 with the 8310. She uses it for calls, but she's a messaging/texting fanatic as well.
    I actually was thinking about the 8520 but thought I could troubleshoot better if we both had the same device, just if she got into any trouble, which she never has. That was the reason for the 9700 - she won't use it to its full capabilities, I know, but it will be easiest to have her on the phone if she has any trouble with me telling exactly what to do and looking at the same thing she's looking at.
    So it will arrive here Wednesday. I'll set up her email and load up her contacts I know she wants, set up her one key dialing contacts and then send it along to her place in Florida.
    Got it for $99.00 at AT&T - they must be ready to release something because the prices have absolutely dropped. They had the regular Bold for $49.99!
    04-11-10 05:25 AM
    My mom and I both got our tours together. It didn't take her long at all to figure it out but if she has issues I can usually help.

04-11-10 07:11 AM
    Yeah, my family's latest BBerry converts were my nephew and my sister in law. He got a Tour and got my sister in law an 8530.
    We have one family member who's still a holdout - my niece. She still has a Chocolate something or something Chocolate...something like that that. I'm sure I've got the name wrong.
    04-11-10 07:45 AM
    Dang that's awsome she is a texting fanatic! My mom doesn't even know how to text lol. She just uses hers for calling

04-11-10 03:29 PM
    I gave my mother my 8530 yesterday, her first smart phone, she was very excited.
    04-11-10 03:34 PM
    I couldn't imagine my Mom with a BB, she doesn't even have an ATM card. She uses cash and still writes checks.

04-11-10 06:05 PM
    Dang that's awsome she is a texting fanatic! My mom doesn't even know how to text lol. She just uses hers for calling

Yeah, sometimes she gets lost trying to attach a picture or gets BBM mixed up with SMS and can't figure out why someone she's trying to text who doesn't have a BBerry doesn't show up on her contact list. So that's when I get the frantic "Where did everybody go?!?!" calls.
    04-11-10 08:27 PM
    Ha... my folks still think Color TV is just a fade
    04-14-10 03:15 PM
    haha my mom has my old motorola flip phone.. which the dog totally chewed up the battery cover, but she's still insistent on using cuz she doesn't want to buy a new phone. Tho she does finally learned to text. My father on the other hand, i think, uses the HTC Hero. I did convert my sister to BBs tho!
    04-14-10 03:41 PM
    My mother (62) has a laptop and a Virgin Mobile cell that she uses for texting and photos. Not too high tech, but pretty good for someone who originally thought computers were the devil's tools.
    04-14-10 08:46 PM
    My mom just got a 9700 also and let me tell you, she is loving it. Huge upgrade coming from a winmo device. She took some time gettin used to the bberry though, but I wouldn't sweat it, she's pretty tech savvy.

05-02-10 10:35 AM
    Everyone in my family already has iPhones, wouldn't make sense to buy try to make them step backwards into a 9700.
    05-02-10 12:51 PM
    My mom got the 9700 Bold 2 not even i tiny scratch perfect condition..... and i got a 8520 5.0.0.411 i am running a newer os then hers she has 5.0.0.351..... but still both are awesome phones!
    05-03-10 04:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD