Well, in my life, so far...

We have tickets scheduled to go to Phoenix and meet his folks Wednesday-Monday (25th-30th).
    That's a good thing. But wait. There's more.

I was just recently diagnosed with thyroid cancer. I have my surgery scheduled for April 2nd to have a thyroidectomy.

But wait, there's more!!

I started again, for the second time in my life, to have some major anxiety attacks. To the point of shivering uncontrollably and throwing up. I'm constantly afraid of a recurrance, and it's interfering with my life.

But wait, there's more!!

My fiance's BP has been rocketing back and forth. Up to 200, down to 110, with an average pulse of 40-45.
    He can barely get off the couch most days. They say exercise helps, but he's a skinny guy, and is crazy out of breath from walking across the room.
    He needs a pacemaker.
    He finds out Monday when they're scheduling him for that.

And it gets better!!!

Yesterday, my fiance was laid off. He was a microsoft contract employee, one of many such employees that got affected by their planned layoffs.
    I make half what he makes.

And even more!

He found out today that insurance cuts out the end of the month. That's right, 2 days before my surgery. And who knows how many days before *his* pacemaker.

So now, we have no idea what's going to transpire. Will I have to move my surgery date back, before the 31st, so I can have insurance help me?
    Will we get to go to Phoenix?
    Who is going to take care of who when we're both recovering?!

Sorry to vent but..........yeah. This has been my week.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-09 08:30 PM
    hey kitty- im really sorry to hear about all that....wow. i remebr ur post about ur thyr cancer...and now your fiance's health on top of that all. I cannot imagine the stress your feeling right now. i think my head would of self combusted. You both must be strong to keep one another focused. If it was me, i think i would def consider pushing back the surg you need so that you are still covered under the ins. As for your fiances surgery, try to do that asap obviously. I do know that in family emergency, you can cancel your tickets(unless airlines have changed this-i havent flown anywhere in 15 yrs.) ...maybe his folks can come out to you? Whatever you both decide, i really do hope the best for both of you.....
    03-20-09 09:00 PM

We have tickets scheduled to go to Phoenix and meet his folks Wednesday-Monday (25th-30th).

I was just recently diagnosed with thyroid cancer. I have my surgery scheduled for April 2nd to have a thyroidectomy.

But wait, there's more!!

I started again, for the second time in my life, to have some major anxiety attacks. To the point of shivering uncontrollably and throwing up. I'm constantly afraid of a recurrance, and it's interfering with my life.

But wait, there's more!!

My fiance's BP has been rocketing back and forth. Up to 200, down to 110, with an average pulse of 40-45.
    He can barely get off the couch most days. They say exercise helps, but he's a skinny guy, and is crazy out of breath from walking across the room.
    He needs a pacemaker.

And it gets better!!!

Yesterday, my fiance was laid off. He was a microsoft contract employee, one of many such employees that got affected by their planned layoffs.

And even more!

He found out today that insurance cuts out the end of the month. That's right, 2 days before my surgery. And who knows how many days before *his* pacemaker.

So now, we have no idea what's going to transpire. Will I have to move my surgery date back, before the 31st, so I can have insurance help me?

OMG It's more than enough to deal with in a life time. I feel sorry for u both and hoping everything gets better by next month. Remember from at the bottom there is only one way. Up!

follow me on Twitter / krisztibi

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."
    Never regret anything that made you smile.
    03-20-09 09:04 PM
    That is terrible, i so feel for you, honestly...
    03-20-09 09:07 PM
    Sorry to read this ill be praying for both of you.

03-20-09 09:08 PM
    I can only imagine how you feel right now, i have friends who are hurting, but not like you are, i wish you the best...
    03-20-09 09:10 PM
    I am so sorry to hear this. That is really sad.
    03-20-09 09:29 PM
    Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. <33

We'll get through this. It's just going to be very rough for a while.
    I don't know how many times I've cried in the past few days, but...well, if we recover well, and then this is the worst life will ever throw at us (at least for a long time)...then we'll be all the richer for it.

It's just really hard to think positively at times like this. And with anxiety, it can make it a hundred times worse.

Thanks again for your warm thoughts. Hope life treats you all very well. :3

03-20-09 10:12 PM
    Wishing*praying for the best!

03-21-09 07:15 PM
    Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. <33

We'll get through this. It's just going to be very rough for a while.
    I don't know how many times I've cried in the past few days, but...well, if we recover well, and then this is the worst life will ever throw at us (at least for a long time)...then we'll be all the richer for it.

It's just really hard to think positively at times like this. And with anxiety, it can make it a hundred times worse.

Thanks again for your warm thoughts. Hope life treats you all very well. :3

keep your head up kitty - just like you say, wen you both recover well, you will be richer, you'll be 'millionaires' stay well, we'll all be praying for you and your fiance!
    03-21-09 08:32 PM
    Oo I'm sorry so to hear this. I will send good
    thoughts ur way.
    Could ur fiance pay for COBRA until after
    the surgery?

03-21-09 10:46 PM
    Hi SK,
    Sorry I haven't posted sooner. So sad for you that life is throwing all this at you. Wish I could take it all away, and leave you nothing but the positive. As always, I will be praying for you, and your fiance.
    G_d bless you both!
    03-21-09 11:32 PM
    Wow...that's so sad for all of you. I will keep you in my prayers that everything will be ok.

03-21-09 11:40 PM
    Insurance is ALWAYS effective until the end of the month! I know it's fast, but trust me... I admit ppl that need pacers every couple weeks and they are in, cathed and paced in 1-2 days... is there ANY way you can just get him admitted NOW? At his age, it's practically an outpatient procedure... I know it's hard to think at this pace...

But seriously.. go to the ER and say he had a syncopal episode and they will admit and get him a pacer NOW. If he gets the pacer put in in the AM and is rate controlled and doesn't bleed.. he could go home in the evenning or next morning .... it's not a major surgery though it sounds scary.

Jeez.. you're coming to Phoenix... if there was ANY way you could go to the hospital I work at... I'm an ER resident.. but I know the cardiology guys... just sayin..
    Last edited by jdoc77; 03-21-09 at 11:54 PM.
    03-21-09 11:43 PM
    We are here for ya Kitty...
    03-21-09 11:47 PM
    It's kinda rough for you right now. Hang in there and you're in my prayers.
    03-21-09 11:51 PM
    Where is there the most family support? Where YOU are or here in PHX? My initial thought is you should put off the PHX trip.. the airline might charge a reschedule fee, but if you use the ticket in a certain time-frame... and you can always claim medical emergency.

COBRA -IS- expensive... but might be worth it even if you have to borrow the $500 from someone... As someone who HAS used COBRA on a couple of occasions.. it takes at least 30 days to get the paperwork through... you can schedule and get it all done on the float...

Sorry.. I'm brainstorming your life here... PM me if there is any way you think I can help.. no I can't get you anythying gratis... but ... anyway... I'm just trying to help...
    03-21-09 11:51 PM

But wait, there's more!!

But wait, there's more!!

He needs a pacemaker.

And it gets better!!!

And even more!

The only thing missing from this post is FML
    03-22-09 12:22 PM
    LMAO, had to scroll back up to see if it was think.

03-22-09 12:26 PM
    Wow... until someone started the FML thread and explained what that is... I thought you meant "Family Medical Leave" Act...
    03-22-09 11:55 PM
    Actually, family medical leave would make sense - but I don't know the rules for a contract employee. But I do think Cobra (everyone laid off is to be allowed to continue his or her insurance if they agree to pay for it) should apply to your fianc�e's case. I just had an employee go out on long term disability and he qualified for Cobra. Have him contact the HR department before he's laid off. The cost is high - but a lot less than the medical bills you are facing. If you just pay it for a couple months with his severance or unemployment. This is terrible for you two, soda. Another idea is if he does have long term disability coverage along with his health coverage, he sounds sick enough to go out on it before he's laid off. It's insurance so have him look into it as well.

03-23-09 03:17 AM
    Unfortunately, I don't think 10-99's are covered under the FLA, but it's certainly worth checking out.
    03-23-09 03:37 AM
    So...finally some good news!!!

On Saturday, I thought I was going to have a breakdown. His BP was 192/45 and HR was about 38. I drove him to the emergency room, and they immediately took him as priority...his HR was 37 at that point, and they had a very hard time getting a BP reading since it was so erratic. All day it had been all over the place.
    They put him in a wheelchair, got him on a bed in the ER, and started strapping all the little metallic/plasticky stickers all over his chest and body, and even had him hooked up to a defibrillator, with pads at the ready. It was very, very hard to be strong with them calling up to reserve him a room already, saying he'd be admitted, and talk that he wasn't leaving there without a pacemaker.

The alarm on the EKG machine (pressure, pulse, etc) kept going off due to his pulse being so low. It was all very frightening.
    Luckily, a cardiologist who works in the same office as *his* cardiologist was working, and he was able to access his files and check him out.

Long story short, they released him. And of all the crazy things...he was prescribed a diuretic! The doctor said it's a really rough decision to put a pacemaker in someone as young as him, since that's signing him up for surgery every 5-7 years for a replacement, and could end up shortening his life after all. :x So they wanted to be 100% sure there was no other remedy.

And would you know, the darn diuretic worked!! His BP has been around 140/65 up to 160/70, etc. So, while not perfect, something close to normal! Whoa.
    He saw his cardiologist today, and the doc said that unless it went so crazy again, it was basically his choice for the pacer now or not.
    And he was cleared for the trip to AZ.

As for COBRA, they're kind of not exactly sure what's going on as of today, they need to figure out if I'll be covered or not since I'm not his wife. But even if I'm not covered with the whole new 65% stimulus thing, our max that we'll be paying is $800, in 45 days.
    Which isn't bad. Our medications, without insurance, would be double that, with all his BP meds and my asthma and allergy and cortisol-related meds.

So...there's our silver lining, for now.

Now I've just got to relax and prep myself for surgery. Anesthesia makes me nervous for so many reasons, and I also get anxious before flying.
    Heh.
    So on a lighter topic...anyone got suggestions for relaxing on a flight?
    Alcohol doesn't work for me (and I haven't smoked *stuff* in a looong time )...and sleepy stuff (excedrin PM) doesn't seem to work well.

Thanks again to all for all your warm wishes and prayers. :3
    You're all very sweet for it! And you'll be in *my* thoughts!

03-23-09 04:15 PM
    Ask your doctor for a couple valium for the flight.

03-23-09 04:27 PM
    I was thinking of that.
    However, after I get off the plane at the end of a 3-hour flight, I have to meet his parents for the first time. So I don't want to be super "out of it".

Maybe I'll have to just suck it up.

03-23-09 04:58 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD