Since I've been spending some time on these forums with renewed obsession with all thing blackberry.... Thought I'd ask for your opinion on how I can get myself out of Jury Duty? Not just from being selected, but from wasting the whole day in the courthouse and possibly being exposed to covid-19.

Date of summons: September 30th.

Yeah yeah, it's my duty, and courts need to resume **** - but why me?

I'm self employed and spend the days with my father with failing kidneys (low immune system)

Thoughts? Advice? Thanks!
    09-06-20 01:37 AM
    Since I've been spending some time on these forums with renewed obsession with all thing blackberry.... Thought I'd ask for your opinion on how I can get myself out of Jury Duty? Not just from being selected, but from wasting the whole day in the courthouse and possibly being exposed to covid-19.

I'm self employed and spend the days with my father with failing kidneys (low immune system)

Simple, get a letter from your doctor.
    bakron1 likes this.
    09-06-20 01:45 AM
    That in itself should excuse you. But I'd get a note from yours and your father's doctors.
    bakron1 and anon(10694483) like this.
    09-06-20 07:53 AM
    Simple, get a letter from your doctor.
    That in itself should excuse you. But I'd get a note from yours and your father's doctors.
    That all sounds way too much effort. Just show up and simply declare something partial against the case or defendant that won't allow fair trial.
    09-06-20 10:26 AM
    Trying to avoid a doctors note because she has not been helpful in the past. Also due to Covid it's over the phone.

I really don't see how they expect us to physical distance when we're sitting there for hours crammed in a waiting room.

Isn't there something I can say to the court admin, like a sure exemption?

I'm in the peel region of Ontario, where the latest reports say half the province's cases are from.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-20 10:39 AM

Tell the courts that you are nursing a highly vulnerable person and have no wish to put him in jeopardy they should understand this and remove you from jury Duty.
    09-06-20 11:01 AM
    Tell the courts that you are nursing a highly vulnerable person and have no wish to put him in jeopardy they should understand this and remove you from jury Duty.
    The biggest reason for dismissing prospective jurors is when the judiciary feels those persons would jeopardize fair trial.
    09-06-20 05:12 PM
    That all sounds way too much effort. Just show up and simply declare something partial against the case or defendant that won't allow fair trial.
    This ^^ is what is wrong in America today.
    09-08-20 02:16 AM
    This ^^ is what is wrong in America today.
    Why? I’m responding to a Canadian wanting to get out from their civil duty?
    TGIS likes this.
    09-08-20 07:24 AM
    The biggest reason for dismissing prospective jurors is when the judiciary feels those persons would jeopardize fair trial.
    Someone stole a lawn more from me years ago.... that got me out of serving, but not out of wasting a whole day at the court house.

I have a friend at the court house, but she told me if you get excused, you go right back into the pool.... it's better to show up and then your name is out of the pool for five years (here anyway). Crazy thing is how many show up, and then ask to be excused for some reason.... and they go right back in the pool. If you show up, why not sit it out?
    09-08-20 07:39 AM
    Just show up wearing a MAGA hat
    09-08-20 08:46 AM
    I showed up like 4 years ago, and was not selected. I arrived at 830am on a snowy Canadian winter day. The damn lot wasnt even plowed and I struggled to double park my then new rear wheel drive'd bmw there. I make the trek to the doors, and there's a huge line up to get, mostly potential jurors and lawyers I guess - lined up in at the door because it's a soupy mess on the floor. I gave and received dirty looks from the cops/secutity - and made my way to a room filled with 100's of people.

Sat there all day until 2pm. Then sat for a few more hours with less people in a smaller room with no food in me, except for a donut (Canadians love donuts) and $4 less in my pocket.

got home at like 630pm, exhausted and unwell. I thought to myself, never again! phuck that ****e!

tl/dr

it's a huge waste of time and there's no appreciation for attending - felt like a punishment for not being clever enough to get out of serving.
    09-08-20 08:52 AM
    Just show up wearing a MAGA hat
    That should go over well in a Canadian Court.
    09-08-20 09:06 AM
    I showed up like 4 years ago, and was not selected. I arrived at 830am on a snowy Canadian winter day. The damn lot wasnt even plowed and I struggled to double park my then new rear wheel drive'd bmw there. I make the trek to the doors, and there's a huge line up to get, mostly potential jurors and lawyers I guess - lined up in at the door because it's a soupy mess on the floor. I gave and received dirty looks from the cops/secutity - and made my way to a room filled with 100's of people.

Sat there all day until 2pm. Then sat for a few more hours with less people in a smaller room with no food in me, except for a donut (Canadians love donuts) and $4 less in my pocket.

got home at like 630pm, exhausted and unwell. I thought to myself, never again! phuck that ****e!

tl/dr

it's a huge waste of time and there's no appreciation for attending - felt like a punishment for not being clever enough to get out of serving.
    So US and Canadian legal systems are pretty similar.... only I got paid. Worked out to about $1.50 an hour.

But as I said, there is no really getting out of it here.... you just delay it for a while. It's one of the government inefficiency that has just gotten worse and no one seems to care... and we have no more control over it than we do over property taxes (just got that notice the other day - now if someone has a way out of paying those.... ).
    09-08-20 10:52 AM
    only I got paid
    Not sure about other provinces in Canada but here in Ontario we get paid AFTER the 10th day of duty. I think it's $40.00 per day fwiw.
    Chuck Finley69 likes this.
    09-08-20 11:29 AM
    Not sure about other provinces in Canada but here in Ontario we get paid AFTER the 10th day of duty. I think it's $40.00 per day fwiw.
    I believe here it's $150/day if the defendant pays for the optional tampering per juror.
    09-08-20 04:45 PM
    Tell them that you strongly believe in the doctrine of Jury Nullification.
    09-08-20 04:59 PM
    I believe here it's $150/day if the defendant pays for the optional tampering per juror.
    LMAO!

Posted via CB10
    09-08-20 05:03 PM
    LMAO!

Posted via CB10
    BTW - I hear it's $200CAD on your side with $25CAD + for Toronto and Vancouver....
    09-08-20 06:08 PM