Heys peoples.

I recently switched over from an iPhone 4 to a Bold 9780 for the reason of it being able to have the camera removed. (I'm going into the army and can't have cameras)

Well, so obviously I'm left with out a mp3 player. To be honest, I love my BB but their native music player kinda sucks. Especially with the trackpad and all.

I do already own a iPod nano (1st gen) and an iPod shuffle (3rd gen). But they're both only 1gb and my nano had very bad battery life now. And the shuffle, come on, seriously...

So I'm looking at either getting the previous generation of iPod touch (without camera) or the iPod classic.

So here's what I have to work around:

� Can't bring chargers into camp! So battery life is VERY IMPORTANT.
    � I kinda wanna watch my TV shows that I would have missed out over the week(s). Will be downloading them, not watching over 3g.
    � Occasional games would be fun?
    � The refurbished iPod touches are getting hard to find, and I don't want a crusty old 2nd hand one.
    � Need it to be hardy, nothing to fragile. I know the iPod touch runs on flash memory which would lead to lesser HD problems compared to the iPod classic. But what about the physical hardware?

Thanks!
    04-30-11 09:11 PM
    Why not use the ip4 as an ipod?

[sent via Cyanogen powered Android]
    04-30-11 10:44 PM
    Why not use the ip4 as an ipod?

[sent via Cyanogen powered Android]
    He said they can't have cameras, and I'm assuming you can't take it off the iPhone.

Back to the OP, I would probably go with the Classic. I have one myself and I can tell you that the battery power is fantastic on its own, and extraordinary compared to the iPod Touch. As far as hardware is concerned, the Classic is pretty sturdy on its own. I always like to get cases for my important electronics though, and I'd recommend an iSkin Evo. It makes the iPod a little bulkier but it protects everything, even the track wheel. And since the only size for the current Classic is 160GB, that is way more than enough space to probably meet your needs. I have just a bit over 6000 songs, 3 seasons of Californication, 1 season of Modern Family, and all 9 seasons of Seinfeld on mine. Still have 70.5GB left. The only aspect the Touch would win in would be games. There's nothing really good for the Classic, and the Touch has Angry Birds. Enough said.

Out of curiosity, how will you be able to charge your iPod or any of your electronics if you can't bring chargers to camp?
    Last edited by lcambriz; 04-30-11 at 11:59 PM.
    ariztiong likes this.
    04-30-11 11:56 PM
    Back to the OP, I would probably go with the Classic. I have one myself and I can tell you that the battery power is fantastic on its own, and extraordinary compared to the iPod Touch. As far as hardware is concerned, the Classic is pretty sturdy on its own. I always like to get cases for my important electronics though, and I'd recommend an iSkin Evo. It makes the iPod a little bulkier but it protects everything, even the track wheel. And since the only size for the current Classic is 160GB, that is way more than enough space to probably meet your needs. I have just a bit over 6000 songs, 3 seasons of Californication, 1 season of Modern Family, and all 9 seasons of Seinfeld on mine. Still have 70.5GB left. The only aspect the Touch would win in would be games. There's nothing really good for the Classic, and the Touch has Angry Birds. Enough said.

Out of curiosity, how will you be able to charge your iPod or any of your electronics if you can't bring chargers to camp?
    Thanks for your input! I actually just went out to my local Apple store and got a classic. Seemed like the best choice I guess? Fingers crossed I don't regret it.

I'll check out the iSkin Evo you mentioned.

I do kinda miss angry birds on my iPhone... HAHAHA!

I'm thinking I would get one of those juice packs? In case it runs out of battery. As for my BB, I'm just gonna get extra batteries.

I do get to leave camp every weekend, so I can do my charging at home then. Except for my first weekend when I'm enlisted, I would have to stay there straight for 2 weeks! So I need some serious juice on the iPod.
    Last edited by ariztiong; 05-01-11 at 12:08 AM.
    05-01-11 12:06 AM
    Thanks for your input! I actually just went out to my local Apple store and got a classic. Seemed like the best choice I guess? Fingers crossed I don't regret it.

I'll check out the iSkin Evo you mentioned.

I do kinda miss angry birds on my iPhone... HAHAHA!

I'm thinking I would get one of those juice packs? In case it runs out of battery. As for my BB, I'm just gonna get extra batteries.

I do get to leave camp every weekend, so I can do my charging at home then. Except for my first weekend when I'm enlisted, I would have to stay there straight for 2 weeks! So I need some serious juice on the iPod.
    Well if battery life is a concern you certainly bought the right phone. The 9780 is a tank, probably the best battery life of any smartphone. You might want to consider picking up an extended battery from a company like Seidio. You would probably be able to get 3 or 4 days without a charge, depending on your usage. Also, if you're not using 3G, set your phone permanently on 2G, and that should boost your battery life considerably.

As for the iPod... I would have said Touch simply because it's flash based instead of a spinning hard drive. I broke 2 iPod classics in the past (not abused, just the hard drive seem to die after a while), but I have a 1st gen and 4th gen iPod touch, and they both work perfectly (although the battery life is getting bad on the 1st gen!). The 1st gen has probably been dropped 20+ times, no case, and it refuses to die.
    05-02-11 09:39 AM
    Go the Ipod touch all the way! Apple music is simply the best and has not yet been ruined by the corporation.
    05-03-11 04:54 AM
    Once you do get one, be sure to jailbreak it for maximum functionality. I did once my brother left his under the bed in a box filled with junk. I won't use it for a phone, but it's great for gaming (only used it 20 times, I still love my blackberry to death!)
    05-03-11 05:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD