So I came across this today:

iOS Unicode bug crashes iPhone when a specific text is received - SlashGear

Does anybody have the unicode to copy and paste? I like teasing my younger brothers how much BlackBerry is better.

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    05-27-15 04:38 PM
    i think the idea is NOT to spread it. LMAO
    05-28-15 10:30 AM
    I do... but it crashes the messaging app and requires some minimal knowledge to get it to work (simple reboot doesn't help).

Also some people are sending the string out and spamming people endlessly... which is probably really annoying.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-15 10:35 AM
    The good thing is Apple will have it fixed in the matter of days and sent out to all it's devices without worrying about carrier support, etc. Something BlackBerry can't do when there are vulnerabilities (HeartBleed, OpenSSL "FREAK")
    techvisor and LazyEvul like this.
    05-28-15 12:10 PM
    The 3rd thread. Great.
    05-28-15 12:40 PM
    The good thing is Apple will have it fixed in the matter of days and sent out to all it's devices without worrying about carrier support, etc. Something BlackBerry can't do when there are vulnerabilities (HeartBleed, OpenSSL "FREAK")
    Yes and and Microsoft is also planning direct updates with Win10. It would be in BBs best interest to do the same.
    05-28-15 12:54 PM
    I hear it's only IPhone to IPhone though.... :/ I just wanted to have fun with my siblings and tell them my BlackBerry is better.

I think it's almost be a good idea to share it. The more publicity it gets should breed more of a sense of urgency for Apple...

If BlackBerry advertised, I could see a lot of funny commercials they could do making fun of stuff like this.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-15 04:47 PM
    effective.
    Power
    لُلُصّبُلُلصّبُررً ॣ ॣh ॣ ॣ

CB10 - Q10 - 10.3.2.680
    Tstark14 and habs_fan like this.
    05-28-15 04:52 PM
    Yes and and Microsoft is also planning direct updates with Win10. It would be in BBs best interest to do the same.
    They already do it with unlocked device purchased on amazon or shop BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    05-28-15 07:59 PM
    I do... but it crashes the messaging app and requires some minimal knowledge to get it to work (simple reboot doesn't help).

Also some people are sending the string out and spamming people endlessly... which is probably really annoying.

Posted via CB10
    No, it reboots the phone.
    05-28-15 08:29 PM
    I also read that if the text is displayed in a web browser that it can crash that way too because the vulnerability is also in webkit. Since our BB10 browsers are based on webkit, are we vulnerable too?
    05-29-15 01:43 AM

CB10 - Q10 - 10.3.2.680
    05-29-15 02:27 AM
    No, it reboots the phone.
    I it also crashes the messaging app and renders it useless after a reboot.

You need to do a couple of "fixes" to get it going again like sending a text message to yourself

Posted via CB10
    05-29-15 11:11 AM
    I also read that if the text is displayed in a web browser that it can crash that way too because the vulnerability is also in webkit. Since our BB10 browsers are based on webkit, are we vulnerable too?
    It's not a vulnerability or virus. It's an iOS bug and how it handles certain characters and resize them. So it has nothing to do with browsers, Android, BlackBerry 10... Sybian, DOS.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-15 11:13 AM
    It only works when you reply with the same message too..It shuts down both phones.

Always happy to help!
    05-29-15 11:18 AM
    It's not a vulnerability or virus. It's an iOS bug and how it handles certain characters and resize them. So it has nothing to do with browsers, Android, BlackBerry 10... Sybian, DOS.

Posted via CB10
    Its interesting how pervasive the affects can be, include the short version into a Snap crashes the app. Put it into the name of a hotspot: crashes phones who try to connect.. Put it in as a contact and then send the contact info and apps that read it will crash.
    05-29-15 11:33 AM
    I it also crashes the messaging app and renders it useless after a reboot.

You need to do a couple of "fixes" to get it going again like sending a text message to yourself

Posted via CB10
    Easy fixes, don't defend apple lol its a fun game and easy to fix

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 11:33 AM
    Its interesting how pervasive the affects can be, include the short version into a Snap crashes the app. Put it into the name of a hotspot: crashes phones who try to connect.. Put it in as a contact and then send the contact info and apps that read it will crash.
    Actually it only works when it's displayed in the lock screen or in the banner. It happens when iOS tries to resize those special characters.

I tried it on an iPad and in theory, it should have the same bug. But since it's much larger, I couldn't figure out how long the message has to be

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 08:18 PM