This will sound like a dumb question I know but.....

I am expecting my first wireless router in the mail any day now. I have never had a landline (I always used mobile broadband in one way or another), and so have never installed one before.

I'm relatively computer-savvy, and the actual installation will be a doddle I'm sure. But can you install the router without it being connected to the internet to begin with?

I only have one phone line socket in my house, which is at the other end of the house to my only PC. So either I will need about 20m of cabling, or need to move the computer lock and stock to the living room (albeit temporarily). Both ways are a pain in the neck.

I know that they will run without a PC attached to it once they are set up, but could i just plug the router into the PC in the bedroom, and then plug it into the socket in the living room?

I've made a real hash of explaining my problem, so if you can't pick apart what I mean then please ask me and I'll try and re-phrase.
    03-28-11 08:49 AM
    Your modem from your isp needs to be plugged into the router, then your desktop plugged into the router and then your wireless devices will connect wireless of course.
    03-28-11 09:03 AM
    Thanks for the answer;

Is that just installation or does it have to be plugged into a PC all the time?
    03-28-11 09:24 AM
    "I'm relatively computer-savvy, and the actual installation will be a doddle I'm sure. But can you install the router without it being connected to the internet to begin with?"

Yes.
    But you need to have an Ethernet cable first. Connect it to the Computer, set it up make a password and user, then get the SSID to broadcast.

While the router is still on, connect it to some device with wifi(Preferably a laptop) and make sure it works.
    It should say no internet access.

Disconnect from the laptop and connect to the ISP: and you have internet
    Batters9700 likes this.
    03-28-11 09:30 AM
    Thats much better news. I have visions of having to haul my PC through to the living room to install the damned thing.

Any other pitfalls I should look out for before installation?
    03-28-11 09:45 AM
    The router will have to be wired connected to the modem for internet access.
    03-28-11 10:22 AM
    The router does NOT need to be wired to the pc unless you do not have a stand-alone modem like a cable modem. I have cable internet and a D-Link dr 615 router. The cable modem and the router sit on the table alone. Nothing is after the router, wire wise. There needs to be a modem prior to the router on the system.
    Last edited by kellyjdrummer; 03-28-11 at 11:22 AM.
    03-28-11 11:09 AM
    The router does NOT need to be wired to the pc unless you do not have a stand-alone modem like a cable modem. I have cable internet and a D-Link dr 615 router. The cable modem and the router sit on the table alone. Nothing is after the router, wire wise. There needs to be a modem prior to the router on the system.
    A computer has to be wire connected to the router 1 time to configure it, but then yes, after that, it can be all wireless, except of course for the incoming internet from the cable, FIOS, or DSL modem.

EDIT: It IS possible to configure the router WITHOUT it having an internet connection, BUT, it's better with a connection. Generally there is a step by step guide telling you what to do with the routers instructions, a quick start guide. Look for that, it's the best thing to follow and should have you up and running in no time. Do you have a laptop? The router will also come with an ethernet cord which you can use to connect the laptop to the router to do the configuring step.
    03-28-11 11:46 AM
    A computer has to be wire connected to the router 1 time to configure it, but then yes, after that, it can be all wireless, except of course for the incoming internet from the cable, FIOS, or DSL modem.

EDIT: It IS possible to configure the router WITHOUT it having an internet connection, BUT, it's better with a connection. Generally there is a step by step guide telling you what to do with the routers instructions, a quick start guide. Look for that, it's the best thing to follow and should have you up and running in no time. Do you have a laptop? The router will also come with an ethernet cord which you can use to connect the laptop to the router to do the configuring step.
    I set mine up wirelessly from my Win 7 x64 bit laptop. It can be done.

Edit: Sorry, I had set up my net work a year ago on the desktop I do not have anymore. My mistake. But as far as the original question, a modem of any sort and a router after it can sit on the shelf and send a signal to the neighborhood without being wired to any computer.
    Last edited by kellyjdrummer; 03-28-11 at 01:34 PM.
    03-28-11 12:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD