The thing is my machine can only run upto 2GB of RAM and that's all I ordered, is that enough for Windows 7 32 bit running smooth or is that too little of RAM and stick to Windows XP?
    04-28-12 05:06 AM
    The thing is my machine can only run upto 2GB of RAM and that's all I ordered, is that enough for Windows 7 32 bit running smooth or is that too little of RAM and stick to Windows XP?
    my Acer Aspire One D260 netbook has an Intel Atom N450 processor @ 1.66 Ghz, 2GB RAM (maximum allowed). This thing came with Win 7 Starter. I was afraid of running Ultimate, thinking it would really stress it out or something. but it runs it like a champ. Never lags at all. like i said, my circa 2004 Dell Dimension 4600, with an Intel Pentium 4 (945 chipset) running at 2.8 Ghz, 4 GB RAM (maximum) with an 80 GB HDD is also running Win 7 Ultimate BETTER than it ran XP. Im sure your computer would be fine. oh and why can you only run 2 GB of RAM? 32 bit WIndows 7 can only see up to 4. you must have more than one slot on your motherboard for RAM. i bought 2 x 2GB chips and called it a day.
    04-28-12 05:44 AM
    my Acer Aspire One D260 netbook has an Intel Atom N450 processor @ 1.66 Ghz, 2GB RAM (maximum allowed). This thing came with Win 7 Starter. I was afraid of running Ultimate, thinking it would really stress it out or something. but it runs it like a champ. Never lags at all. like i said, my circa 2004 Dell Dimension 4600, with an Intel Pentium 4 (945 chipset) running at 2.8 Ghz, 4 GB RAM (maximum) with an 80 GB HDD is also running Win 7 Ultimate BETTER than it ran XP. Im sure your computer would be fine. oh and why can you only run 2 GB of RAM? 32 bit WIndows 7 can only see up to 4. you must have more than one slot on your motherboard for RAM. i bought 2 x 2GB chips and called it a day.
    Because I have the dell dimension 3000 and while I was checking the right type of ram to buy at crucial.com, it also told me the max amount of ram it can hold and plus it has 2 slots only. I know it sucks.
    04-28-12 09:36 AM
    Because I have the dell dimension 3000 and while I was checking the right type of ram to buy at crucial.com, it also told me the max amount of ram it can hold and plus it has 2 slots only. I know it sucks.
    Mine said the maximum was 512MB, but I put 1GB into it. A compaq evo d310v. I suggest going until it beeps at you, then you know the limit. It'll likely take 4GB no problem.
    04-28-12 03:05 PM
    Mine said the maximum was 512MB, but I put 1GB into it. A compaq evo d310v. I suggest going until it beeps at you, then you know the limit. It'll likely take 4GB no problem.
    i agree with that.
    04-28-12 07:01 PM
    i agree with that.
    Will give that a try thanks guys
    04-28-12 07:21 PM
    Will give that a try thanks guys
    worst case, return it!!
    04-29-12 01:45 AM
    worst case, return it!!
    What do you mean? Return the 2GB ram and order 4GB?
    04-29-12 03:01 AM
    if you buy RAM and find out your system cant use it, check with the vendor you bought it from about a return policy. i did my homework on my motherboard, BIOS and operating system and determined that 4GB was my maximum so thats what i bought. i just find it strange that you can allow for more than 2GB. but according to Dell's specs, it does indeed say 2GB max. i would call and ask to verify though. thats strange.

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...n/SM/specs.htm

but i think it would run fine. on my netbook with half the memory and processing speed it runs Win 7 just fine. Win 7 requires 1GB minimum so im sure you will be ok.
    Last edited by dictoresno; 04-29-12 at 07:11 AM.
    04-29-12 07:05 AM
    Windows 7 Can run with a minimum of 512MB, but it'll be a bit sluggish, I had it running on test computer before it was sold for parts. But you'll have to disable all eyecandy. I think the bare-minimum it could handle is 36MB, but that would be pushing it to extremes. The minimum XP could handle was 25MB. Then again, such low memory was tested in a virtual machine.
    04-29-12 11:30 AM
    if you buy RAM and find out your system cant use it, check with the vendor you bought it from about a return policy. i did my homework on my motherboard, BIOS and operating system and determined that 4GB was my maximum so thats what i bought. i just find it strange that you can allow for more than 2GB. but according to Dell's specs, it does indeed say 2GB max. i would call and ask to verify though. thats strange.

Documentation

but i think it would run fine. on my netbook with half the memory and processing speed it runs Win 7 just fine. Win 7 requires 1GB minimum so im sure you will be ok.
    I spoke with Dell today and they said 2GB is the max for this model. I'm ok with that as long as everything is running smoothly. I'm not even planning on upgrading to windows 7 because it's not a huge deal to me, windows xp is fine for my needs.

Also when I try to stream HD videos on YouTube its very laggy on 720p and on 1080p the video is pretty much unwatchable. Do you think this is because of the RAM or processor?
    04-29-12 07:42 PM
    I spoke with Dell today and they said 2GB is the max for this model. I'm ok with that as long as everything is running smoothly. I'm not even planning on upgrading to windows 7 because it's not a huge deal to me, windows xp is fine for my needs.

Also when I try to stream HD videos on YouTube its very laggy on 720p and on 1080p the video is pretty much unwatchable. Do you think this is because of the RAM or processor?
    How fast is the processor? I find that HD videos play well on firefox, and on Linux Mint/Ubuntu.
    04-29-12 07:54 PM
    How fast is the processor? I find that HD videos play well on firefox, and on Linux Mint/Ubuntu.
    A 2.8 Ghz pentium 4 processor. Also I use the chrome browser instead of ie8
    04-29-12 08:08 PM
    A 2.8 Ghz pentium 4 processor. Also I use the chrome browser instead of ie8
    Mine is 3.06 GHz with 533MHz FSB. If yours is the same, then we've got matching or similar boards.
    04-29-12 08:10 PM

Most likely due to shared memory between graphics and RAM. Also, Dictoresno hit upon the best option for reinstalling XP with the USB tool from Windows. You'll somehow have to make an iso image from your XP disk, this I'm not certain how you'll accomplish with whatever condition your drive is in. With MagicISO or PowerISO you can copy your CD to an iso with the trial version of either; you can use another machine to do this and move the iso afterwards to your laptop to use with the Windows USB tool.

@Dictoresno and Rootbrian - where are you two getting that a 32-bit OS can address more than 3GB of RAM?
    04-29-12 08:10 PM
    Most likely due to shared memory between graphics and RAM. Also, Dictoresno hit upon the best option for reinstalling XP with the USB tool from Windows. You'll somehow have to make an iso image from your XP disk, this I'm not certain how you'll accomplish with whatever condition your drive is in. With MagicISO or PowerISO you can copy your CD to an iso with the trial version of either; you can use another machine to do this and move the iso afterwards to your laptop to use with the Windows USB tool.

@Dictoresno and Rootbrian - where are you two getting that a 32-bit OS can address more than 3GB of RAM?
    The 32-bit version of Windows XP, Vista and 7 isn't licensed to use more than 3.85 GB of RAM, where the 64-bit versions are licensed. Linux, regardless if it's 32 or 64-bit, can utilize all available RAM, no license needed.
    04-29-12 08:16 PM
    The 32-bit version of Windows XP, Vista and 7 isn't licensed to use more than 3.85 GB of RAM, where the 64-bit versions are licensed. Linux, regardless if it's 32 or 64-bit, can utilize all available RAM, no license needed.
    32-bit OS (any) can't address anything past 3 gigs, it's a physical limitation.
    04-29-12 08:18 PM
    It has been proven, with PAE, you can use more than 4GB. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hc4x02ujQs
    04-29-12 08:31 PM
    It has been proven, with PAE, you can use more than 4GB.

Well how about that. That's pretty nifty, wish I didn't have to pack to move this week - I'd like to try that. Thanks lol
    04-29-12 09:42 PM
    actually, its also software related. Windows 7 starter can only address 2GB. If standard Windows 7 and use 4GB, there has to be something in the OS thats restricting it.

Windows 7 - Physical Memory Limits
    04-29-12 10:36 PM
    So does that mean I'd have to upgrade my graphics card in for HD videos to play smoothly?
    04-30-12 05:40 PM
    So does that mean I'd have to upgrade my graphics card in for HD videos to play smoothly?
    Yes, I did. An ATI HD 4650 graphics card is plenty, if your board takes AGP type graphics cards, I recommend sticking with AGP types. It is truly an awesome card, they have newer ones, but more are moving to PCIe and so on. You could get them used, or new, depending.
    04-30-12 05:50 PM

Agreed with Rootbrian. You can't ever go wrong with beefing up your graphics card. Here's the few AGP cards left on Newegg; if you're an ATI fan there's either the 4670 or 3450 unless you really want to wait for the 4650 to be restocked. I recommend not waiting.

Newegg.com - List of AGP 4x/8x AGP Graphics cards
    Last edited by Reubechs; 04-30-12 at 06:27 PM.
    04-30-12 06:25 PM
    I'm not too familiar with graphics cards so I'm looking for something not too expensive that will get the job done.
    04-30-12 08:39 PM
    I'm not too familiar with graphics cards so I'm looking for something not too expensive that will get the job done.
    FWIW, im running the stock graphics card that came with my system and it gets the job done just fine.
    04-30-12 10:27 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD