07-15-11 06:46 AM
114 ... 2345
tools
    The point about RIM not making any money on the Playbook is silly --- because neither AT&T nor Verizon is selling the Playbook. So there is no way RIM gave huge discounts to the carriers in the first place.
    07-13-11 04:40 PM
    The point about RIM not making any money on the Playbook is silly --- because neither AT&T nor Verizon is selling the Playbook. So there is no way RIM gave huge discounts to the carriers in the first place.
    No dice. RIM "shipped" 500K Playbooks last quarter, leading to a 15% increase in revenue over the same quarter last year. However, their profit fell 10%. In light of what was reported in BGR's piece, these numbers now make sense.
    07-13-11 04:47 PM
    No dice. RIM "shipped" 500K Playbooks last quarter, leading to a 15% increase in revenue over the same quarter last year. However, their profit fell 10%. In light of what was reported in BGR's piece, these numbers now make sense.
    Tablets has lower profit margins than handsets.

The more Apple sells the ipad, the lower the whole company's profit margin --- because the iphone has higher profit margin than the ipad.
    redantz likes this.
    07-13-11 04:51 PM
    Crrucial i have to ask...did you write one of the letters? lol

It seems you change your "stance" on the company in the recent months alittle and I feel that you are frustrated with the heads of the company or atleast the way things have shaken out this year so far. I understand if you dont want to share feelings on the subject.
    07-13-11 04:52 PM
    Wow if a company making $700 Million a quarter and $3 Billion in the bank is struggling to keep its head above water, then Motorola must be in cement shoes at the bottom of the pond since they are losing money every quarter, even with their $3 Billion in the bank.

On a side note it was a pleasantly quieter past month.
    What's RIM's stock currently going for?

I'm sure the laid off RIM employees cheered on the company for making 700 million a quarter and 3 billion in the bank.

When was the last time RIM released a new mobile device?

All signs of a healthy company.....you're right
    07-13-11 04:56 PM
  6. T
    Most consumers don't give a crap about security vulnerabilities.
    Well, yea. That's why I said that the noble blogger should educate them ...
    07-13-11 05:13 PM
    Considering all the media coverage RIM has received over the last 6 months you'd pretty much have to living under a rock to not know the problems they're facing.
    Agreed. Apparently a dead horse can be beaten well into the afterlife.
    chiefbroski likes this.
    07-13-11 05:30 PM
    Your argument is that RIM hasn't fallen because its the biggest smartphone vendor in the UK? Wow. I think you'd fit in really well over at RIM with the way you're able to keep your head buried in the sand.
    There are 6.6 Billion people outside of the United States... who's head is buried in the sand?
    07-13-11 08:48 PM
    Really? What would you call it?

While you may want to argue about it's accuracy or not, there is a better argument for it's accuracy than it being completely false.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...9/#post6479647

See Post #9
    That would have been an accurate title to a well done Opinion piece.
    He very much lived up to his tweet, it was a wild and excellent story.

He's reporting the news. .
    Wait a minute now!
    Yes he reports news,
    Yes he reports leaks, and uncovers things
    BUT a large amount of what he posts are opinion articles, which are not news,
    That isn't to say that is bad, really if it was just news he reported the site would probably be boring as he does have some good insite into things, and is a smart man ( except for his love of apple hehehe)

My over all impression is nicely put together story of RIM's rise to greatness, and fall from dominance.

They still are not done, they can still rise again, but they really need to do a better job these next 2 years to make up for the crap choices of the last 3 years.
    07-13-11 09:03 PM
    Well said! If a sales model works or fails in the US that's a good indication how it's going to do word wide. Basically, if you can make it in the US you can make it anywhere worldwide, many companies including RIM know this.
    The US sales model actually over the last decade has been following the Canadian sales model

You are also seeing this in your teleco sector now, following the Canadian Model,

Making it in the US does NOT equal world wide sales, Making it the US means you've made it in a rich country with lots of competition which shows you have a potentially valuable product, but the US has very very very lax laws and regulations when it comes to consumer and industrial goods compared to countries in the EU, and even Canada.
    the US is a great test bed market, as you can charge more, and then play with your costings against competition, while getting volumes up and refining the manufacturing process, only dealing with a single import body, that is what makes the US favourable.

RIM certainly CAN NOT give up the US market for India, and China, that was a giant mistake on their part, it is acceptable they scoffed at the iPhone and had their pants down, but once Android hit, they should have been ready and not still with their pants around their ankles, it looks like it took till the end of 2010 for them to realize they need a belt!
    07-13-11 09:14 PM

It seems you change your "stance" on the company in the recent months alittle and I feel that you are frustrated with the heads of the company or atleast the way things have shaken out this year so far. I understand if you dont want to share feelings on the subject.

He's been infected with the iPhone!! aaahhh

though I do agree, the spark of excitement over the new devices is gone, BUT!! that is probably because a spark can only last so long!!
    07-13-11 09:18 PM

I agree, not to say that CX is bashing on RIM but for a while now I've seen CX's posts become negative.
    07-13-11 10:18 PM
    I agree, not to say that CX is bashing on RIM but for a while now I've seen CX's posts become negative.
    Some people say "negative". Others, like me, prefer the word "realistic".
    07-14-11 12:51 AM
    It's because there isn't blood in the water yet. I suspect a lot of the major shareholders are taking a "wait-and-see" attitude because both co-CEOs built the company and have stated that they are at the end of a major transition.
    Uhh, the stock price dropped 80% since 2008 and over 60% in 2011 alone. How long does the average "wait & see" period take?

The media's sentiment on RIM is not a witch hunt. The BlackBerry was a transition device, just as the PDA was a transition device. Palm couldn't do anything to transcend the PDA while RIM couldn't do anything to transcend the BlackBerry. Guess where the iPhone/iPad evolved from...

Unless RIM can introduce the first device that displays holographic images by the end of the year, they are pretty much dead.
    07-14-11 01:38 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...9/#post6479647

See Post #9
    That would have been an accurate title to a well done Opinion piece.
    He very much lived up to his tweet, it was a wild and excellent story.

Wait a minute now!
    Yes he reports news,
    Yes he reports leaks, and uncovers things
    BUT a large amount of what he posts are opinion articles, which are not news,
    That isn't to say that is bad, really if it was just news he reported the site would probably be boring as he does have some good insite into things, and is a smart man ( except for his love of apple hehehe)

My over all impression is nicely put together story of RIM's rise to greatness, and fall from dominance.

They still are not done, they can still rise again, but they really need to do a better job these next 2 years to make up for the crap choices of the last 3 years.
    Just about every tech site that I follow does what he does. Heck, Crackberry Kevin has been having a lot of opinion articles lately. It's just just the BGR that does this.
    07-14-11 06:35 AM
    Uhh, the stock price dropped 80% since 2008 and over 60% in 2011 alone. How long does the average "wait & see" period take?
    I can't think of any other good explanations. I'm open to ideas, so...
    07-14-11 08:35 AM
    I think I speak for many of us here in saying this article is complete s***. My mom could write a better article that this. lol sorry. No offence to the author, but they write garbage.

I agree they have missed the boat and they have suffered for it. Their phones WERE a year behind the competition. They didn't capitalize on those opportunities. I'm hoping they have been humbled enough to make a comeback and I think they are really trying to step up their game.

This article barely talks about the rise, and talks about the fall as if they don't have any products to show that compete with the competition, which is not true. The Playbook competes, and the new 9900,9860,9810 will all compete just fine because their specs are about the same as the iphone. (And I don't want to hear "Oh, but the newest android phones have dual-core...blah blah" 98% of people don't care about that s***.)

Oh, and quoting random ex-execs who are likely working for rival companies who have reason to gain from bashing RIM is not a credible way to talk about a company. There is no effort to put anything in context or talk about anything positive they have done (despite doing better than 99% of companies).

It's just the spin on this article is ridiculous. Blackberries have had decent cameras on their phones for YEARS, they are increasing their display qualities (look at the playbook) and the cameras are good. (Don't give me that android has an 8megapixel s***, because if so then you know nothing about cameras). They have put mp3 players on phones as old as the 8310 so it's not like they are still oblivious.

If you seriously believe Mike and Jim STILL have their heads in the sand, then how do you think the playbook came around? They focused on higher-end hardware AND software(which is still in progress).

Oh, and the the majority of people also say Apple doesn't suit their needs, or HTC, or Samsung, or Motorola. Nobody has over 50% market share. It's not like it's RIM against the world. Other companies are working hard to compete too.

This is just slander against Mike and Jim. If BGR really cared more about article quality than celebrity company gossip, they would talk about RIM's increased sales in numerous countries, worldwide growth and their strong research as well.
    07-14-11 08:39 AM
    The venom spewed at BGR on here is ridiculous. Do a number of the BB related articles have a negative slant? Sure. They should. RIM has given very little in the way of positive news for a good year, if not more. I'd seriously question the site's validity if it posted happy go lucky articles every week about RIM. And, lost in the "BGR is the devil!" and "RIM should sue BGR!" rants are the positive articles that they do write, such as "The Blackberry Playbook is My Favorite Tablet."

As for the post asking if the site puts out negative stories about other companies... when warranted, yes, they do. And, yes, most articles about Apple and Android/Google have been positive. As they should be. What has RIM given news wise within the last year? No new products, product delays, product cancellations, incomplete products, layoffs, etc. Apple and Android are constantly upping their games, innovating, improving the customer experience, etc. If RIM gave them reasons to get excited, they would be writing good things about them.

Crackberry has become a joke when it comes to the "BGR is the devil!" attitude.
    The playbook counts as a product. And RIM is constantly uping their game too. I don't see them releasing a Storm1 again. They can write negative articles, but they need to put them in perspective.
    07-14-11 08:57 AM
    Spot on RIM failed to innovate and isnt that what technology is all about?
    07-14-11 08:57 AM
    If you seriously believe Mike and Jim STILL have their heads in the sand, then how do you think the playbook came around? They focused on higher-end hardware AND software(which is still in progress).
    The Playbook came around only AFTER Apple sold millions of iPads. What was the last ORIGINAL idea that was generated by RIM's two-headed monster?

“So the question you have ask yourself is when it comes to tablet, what market or what opportunities still it’s solving, what problem is it solving, and is it just a replacement laptop. I think that’s a difficult one to judge. But I think again if you look at what’s happening with smartphones are getting bigger, screens are getting bigger and getting more powerful and faster CPUs, more memory, we go in the 4G networks, we’ve got Wi-Fi, it’s just got everything, the operating systems are becoming more, more powerful, the tools are becoming more, more powerful, more applications are being developed, and are being used in more and more both enterprise and consumer spaces. So, I think at this point if you have to take the whole thing into consideration, you can’t say what’s the market for tablets in exclusion of the other devices, you have to put the whole thing together and I don’t think it’s that clear yet.
    Mike Lazaridis, Co-CEO, Research In Motion, Inc, 16 April 2010
    07-14-11 11:23 AM
    This article barely talks about the rise, and talks about the fall as if they don't have any products to show that compete with the competition, which is not true. The Playbook competes, and the new 9900,9860,9810 will all compete just fine because their specs are about the same as the iphone. (And I don't want to hear "Oh, but the newest android phones have dual-core...blah blah" 98% of people don't care about that s***.)
    The Playbook sorta competes. The lack of e-mail was a massive mistake..IMHO.

While the 9900, 9860 & 9810 may have the similar "specs" as the iPhone; they're not the iPhone...or an Android phone. And regarding dual core and all that other blahblah, I'm going to go out on a limb and say people do care; because phones with those specs are outselling RIM.

While they do have new phones in the pipeline, it's not something people will be lining up for. I mean the 9900 is neat, but who outside of the BB community is going to get excited about that? I don't see people jumping from a touch screen to a phone like that. Part of the problem is the software and the apps. BB can say they're staying away from fart apps all they want. And people like myself will continue to get frustrated half baked version of apps that run much better on the other aforementioned platforms.

I think it's time for everyone to take off their BB fanboy hat and start looking at things a little more objectively. The company isn't dead...but it's at a pretty critical point. I'd love to see RIM turn the ship around; it would be a great success story.
    07-14-11 11:48 AM
  22. T
    Which apps on Earth are you getting half-baked versions of? I mean what apps is everybody crying about? You wanna watch movies on your phones? Is that it???

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-11 12:12 PM
    The Playbook sorta competes. The lack of e-mail was a massive mistake..IMHO.

While the 9900, 9860 & 9810 may have the similar "specs" as the iPhone; they're not the iPhone...or an Android phone. And regarding dual core and all that other blahblah, I'm going to go out on a limb and say people do care; because phones with those specs are outselling RIM.

While they do have new phones in the pipeline, it's not something people will be lining up for. I mean the 9900 is neat, but who outside of the BB community is going to get excited about that? I don't see people jumping from a touch screen to a phone like that. Part of the problem is the software and the apps. BB can say they're staying away from fart apps all they want. And people like myself will continue to get frustrated half baked version of apps that run much better on the other aforementioned platforms.

I think it's time for everyone to take off their BB fanboy hat and start looking at things a little more objectively. The company isn't dead...but it's at a pretty critical point. I'd love to see RIM turn the ship around; it would be a great success story.
    No one will be lining up for it because RIM is just awful at marketing. They don't build hype, they never release things in a timely manner, and even when these products do finally get released there are still bugs everywhere. Even their own employees are now coming out to speak about how the company is failing.

I'm sure a lot of people will be disagreeing, but if you look at consumer satisfaction, the delayed releases, the decreasing value of RIM and all of the disgruntled employees it's hard to think that RIM knows what they're doing.
    07-14-11 12:16 PM
    Which apps on Earth are you getting half-baked versions of? I mean what apps is everybody crying about? You wanna watch movies on your phones? Is that it???

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Angry Birds. I rest my case.
    howarmat and ADGrant like this.
    07-14-11 12:17 PM
    tonis have you ever tried another platform?

There are several apps with more features on other platforms and many more apps on other platforms BB dont have. you cant deny it.
    07-14-11 12:17 PM
114 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD