So here's a story. I'm on a train heading home and getting extremely bored. I decided I wanted to see my trains movement on Google Maps in real time. I opened Maps on my Q5 but as we all know the location is neither accurate nor does it update in real time, but refreshes sporadically. I grabbed my mother's Samsung S4 and opened Maps, and enjoyed the accurate and real time location tracking. It was fun.

That's not the point. Obviously Maps will work better native, and this is not a reason to complain.

I decided to download a speedometer as well, so that I could calculate parameters like average speed, maximum speed etc. I downloaded one from Google Play and it worked extremely well, including giving me the speed in the notification bar at the top and in the pull down notification centre in Android. Impressed. I then opened up Maps again, and to my surprise found that the speedometer map had added UI elements on top of Maps that kept me updated on direction, speed, trip time etc.

Now this impressed me. I didn't know apps could interact with each other on Android, and it's pretty useful in certain instances. I couldn't dream of doing this on BB10, as much as I love it.

I supposed Android has the advantage of being more open, but it doubles as a disadvantage when it comes to security. However, does security come at the cost of consumer satisfaction? I really enjoyed the experience, and now my Q5 just seems a bit more dull.

Channel for BlackBerry users in India
    07-07-14 11:36 AM
    App connectivity is a big reason folks use Android in some cases. When Google is generous with APIs (not always the case) there are some great pairings that can occur.

For the average consumer, such easy access to tools is tough to give up.
    07-07-14 11:43 AM
    App connectivity is a big reason folks use Android in some cases. When Google is generous with APIs (not always the case) there are some great pairings that can occur.

For the average consumer, such easy access to tools is tough to give up.
    I agree. The list of permissions I was asked to grant was a long one. It was actually very creepy. The fact that the developer explained the reason for the permissions did help though. I was surprised by how much apps can do and the extent to which they can control the OS!

Channel for BlackBerry users in India
    07-07-14 12:01 PM
    For apps to do anything other than open and close, they're going to need some sort of permission...

often the reason why you've d/l'ed them in the first place...

it it asks for things that have nothing to do with why you chose app then it could be a lazy dev or someone after your first born..

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3247
    07-08-14 04:58 PM