I've been shocking EVERYTHING. Static shock, you know? Anyway? I've tried everything, changed my sheets, socks, laundary detergent, even when I'm barefoot I still shock crap. Excecially my truck door when I close it. The computers at work shock me a lot too, you can see the static jump over an inch and get me sometimes! I'm just so sick of it. My doornob, lightswitch, other people a lot, everything. I'd I had to guess I'd say I shock things atleast 75 times a day...anyone have any other ideas to make it stop??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-08 05:47 PM
    Yeah I hate getting shocked. The key is to ground yourself to something before you touch metal. Like when I get out of my car I keep my hand on the door when I slide out and its fine.

05-27-08 05:52 PM
    Old PC technician trick... Spray down you carpets with a solution of fabric softener and water.

Smells good and helps with static charge on carpets. Also consider a humidifier...

05-27-08 05:53 PM
    I had the same problem at my old job. I found that I could usually feel the static charge before I touched something, so I'd put my foot on the ground and that'd usually take care of it.
    05-27-08 07:57 PM
    Stop wearing wool.

05-27-08 09:58 PM
    This used to happen to me, I used to walk around with dryer sheets in my pockets!
    05-27-08 10:00 PM
    Maybe that is your superpower. Staticshockman!

05-27-08 10:13 PM
    Here's the reason why shocks happen, especially in cold climates or during the winter. Let me start off by explaining why it doesn't happen in the spring or summer months (i.e. hot and humid months).

Electricity, static in this case, is made possible by electrons - hence ELECTRicity - ELECTRons. Every atom has electrons, and since everything is made of atoms, everything has electrons. Somethings have more than others. An excess of electrons causes an object to become electrically CHARGED. A deficiency of electrons causes an object to become DISCHARGED. Electrons are passed from one object to another by contact or friction. In your everyday life, you are constantly touching things - picking up electrons from some things, and dropping off electrons on other things. Essentially, charging and discharging. All the time. Non stop.

The spring or summer air has a lot of water in the form of humidity attached to each air particle. Since you're picking up electrons from some things you have become electrically charged. Believe it or not, the tiny water particles attached to the air particles are enough to cause friction against your body, therefore causing you to transfer or lose the excess electrons you picked up, into the water particles. You are rubbing the electrons off on the air+water particles.

In the winter months, or in cold climates, the air is very dry - hence dry and cracked lips and noses. There is little to no humidity or water particles attached to the air particles. This means that there is nothing for you to transfer or lose the excess electrons into. You can't rub off the excess electrons into the air, causing you to remain electrically charged.

So since you have a lot of extra electrons, continually picking up more and more, every time you rub up against something - drag your feet on the carpet (which is a land mine of electrons), or put your arms through a long sleve, you are constantly becoming more and more electrically charged. More and more, constantly. And all of a sudden, KABOOM!!!!

You quickly discharged an incredible amount of electricity when you touched your friend's ear or your cat's nose or touched the door knob. So many electrons were transferred so quickly, you could actually see it and hear it. The reason for the spark is because the area where the transfer took place was so small that all of a sudden there was a massive electron traffic accident. That's why you can shock someone if you barely touch them, barely making contact with them. If you pat them on the back, no shock.

In short, in the winter, the season of snuggling, door knobs get lonley and cold and are looking for love and warmth. Here comes the warm, lonely, overcharged hand. They touch and sparks fly.
    Last edited by johnnywoods; 05-27-08 at 10:53 PM.
    05-27-08 10:48 PM
    I live in Iowa where the winters are very dry. Get a humidifier! Run it at night. Most humidifiers can cover an entire house. It will be the best 30 bucks you ever spent!

05-27-08 10:48 PM
    thanks everybody! ill give the "technitians trick" and if not, ill get the humidifier. and the theperson about the wool, i dont wear wool. and the guy who explained about it, i understand where your coming from, but i live in orlando florida, its like 90 here every day and it still happens.
    but ill try to ground myself when i get out of my truck too haha.
    well see how it goes!
    05-27-08 11:17 PM
    I am with the camp that believes this is your Superhero Super Power!

Get thee to a Hollywood audition for Heroes and work with Hayden!!! You're sitting on every man's dream come true and you're going to buy a humidifier and toss your wool socks? Oh, come on!!!!!

05-27-08 11:37 PM
    and the guy who explained about it, i understand where your coming from, but i live in orlando florida, its like 90 here every day and it still happens.
    Then you certainly have superhero skills, for you defy even physics. I would try to cash in on them! Hahahaha. I'm sure the ladies love it!
    05-28-08 06:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD