Now my first smart phone was an iphone 2g and I have to say it was something new and improved and I couldn't keep my eyes of it lol.. Then after awhile I started to hate that I couldn't customize anything on the phone till I jailbroke it. As time went on my main focus become that I couldn't hear the phone ring at all which really what drove me to the breaking point to get another phone which was the 8100 mind you I got for free. Right of the bat I thought it was the best phone I ever used. Being able to use mp3 as ring tones changing the sms notifications etc.. Then the browser omg it was like using an old school nokia but needless to say it was a great phone. Then the problems started Busy...Busy..Busy..Busy. For a second I thought the phone had some problems but then doing some research BB are known for this. Who knew. Few months went by I yet again received another free bb a 8300. Now I was really enjoying this one bigger screen full keyboard but just like the other one none stop hour glass bs. Ok so I said screw it ill just deal with it. Then I find bolt which made me a lot happier actually that's what I'm using as we speak. Completely changing my thoughts about blackberrys right then and there. Until the friggen hour glass came up again lmao. This hour glass is driving me bonkers and about to back to a iphone an iphone3gs but I really like the bold and with the bold 2 coming out not really sure if ill get that if I choose to keep using a bb. In my eye they went backwards with it they made the screen tiny. Why.. that's what I thought made the bold look awesome nice big screen bigger keyboard. I don't know we'll see what's happen with my chocie and to top it off I should be getting a storm for free too but not really sure when. Just wanted to share I was bored at work.
    Last edited by BlackBerryUserBB; 11-09-09 at 08:58 AM. Reason: none
    11-09-09 08:56 AM
    Storm user here.... I don't have any trouble with the hourglass. I DID... until I learned to use the automatic off every day.

If I were you though, I'd avoid the "free" ones... they are usually the older/behind the times phones... (read... lower CPU, lower memory, etc) The storm isn't all that old... but the storm2 isn't that expensive, and has much more memory/etc. Everything I've been hearing seems to point to it being pretty decent.
    11-09-09 09:15 AM
    All right ill check it out. The only thing is I have att and with that being said I can't find a cheap storm2 anywhere which sucks
    11-09-09 09:25 AM
    Your experience with BB has been two very old phones. One (8100, original pearl, no wifi) came out in fall 2006. The other (8300, original curve, no wifi) came out in fall 2007.

You would have to get a current device to make a proper assessment of BB today. Any of the 8520/8900/9000/9630/9700/95xx phone will be worlds better than a 8100/8300. You'll still get an hour glass if you have a large (8gb or bigger) class 2 memory card for the first min or so after you turn it on. It will be busy indexing the memory card for a few mins then the hour glass will go away. The only other time the phone will slow down is if you let it stay on for a week or so. Without doing a full reboot every few days, any phone will slow down.

The 9700 is not a step down from the 9000 Bold. It has a a better (yet smaller) screen, better camera and a more compact size thats still easy to type on.

Going from a 8300 to a 9700 will be a BIG difference.
    11-09-09 09:29 AM
    Yeah I know the 9700 isn't really a step down from the 9000 but just figured they would leave the dimensions of the phone alone. As for the huge jump I take your word for it trust me
    11-09-09 09:48 AM
    For a second I thought the phone had some problems but then doing some research BB are known for this. Who knew. ...
    Well... it does happen, but it happens for a reason.

The spinning hour glass means Sun Java is servicing a high priority task, you have to wait for it to finish.

The most common high priority task is dealing with low memory, particularly on the 64 Mb Pearl and Curves.

The solution is simple, optimize the memory. Get rid of the memory space consuming samples and keep your free memory in the usable range. Once you have it optimized, it should run smoothly.

Is the BlackBerry the right smart phone for you? Perhaps not.

If your primary use is Internet Browsing, listening to music or viewing video clips and playing games there are other smart phones that excel.

If your time is important and you use Email or messaging to stay connected and earn a living, there is only one choice, BlackBerry.
    11-09-09 10:01 AM
    Guess that narrows it down. Blackberry lol
    11-09-09 11:35 AM
    I dunt get how so many people experience problems and wanna give up so fast with their blackberry... I have had 10 blackberries and now on my 11th. ALL of them never in my lifetime using them gave me one problem. No lag, no freezes, no hourglass, no bricks, not one thing.. EVEN if i did experience a problem i wouldnt feel like switching to iphone or another smartphone.. BB is the cream of the crop when it comes to smartphones..

But like previous people have said u were using older models so try the newer ones and u wont switch.
    11-09-09 11:53 AM
    i dont mean to bump this thread but i just wanted to say my friend just picked up the droid and i must say that phone is really nice and it hangs right there with the iphone. i have finally choosen to either go to a droid or an iphone but im am done with blackberry
    11-14-09 04:41 PM
    People who have a lot of problems with their BB usually aren't learning to use them and all of BBs features. If one is not willing to that then reed is right. Maybe the BB is not the device for them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-14-09 05:19 PM
    i dont mean to bump this thread but i just wanted to say my friend just picked up the droid and i must say that phone is really nice and it hangs right there with the iphone. i have finally choosen to either go to a droid or an iphone but im am done with blackberry

The Droid is not that great. I returned mine and went to the S2. Much better.
    11-14-09 05:35 PM
    People who have a lot of problems with their BB usually aren't learning to use them and all of BBs features. If one is not willing to that then reed is right. Maybe the BB is not the device for them.

No I've learned everything about the blackberry and I find them to be lacking a lot. The apps look horrible the fonts make it feel like your using windows 3.1. To top it off the screens should be a lot bigger. In the end blackberry will be the best smart phone once rim starts to put effort in making their devices besides adding a faster processor.
    11-14-09 10:20 PM
    Crackberry.com is for Blackberry users~ Droids and iphones have NUTHING on a Berry..

11-14-09 10:27 PM
    Honey, you haven't learned EVERYTHING about the blackberry. You've learned about two minutes' worth of material here, guaranteed. Pretty sure you signed up just to complain about it, after all, the majority of your posts are here...

Go with the suggestions that people have mentioned here. Use a newer Berry for longer than a minute. Then complain about it.

The DROID is no big deal - whoop-de-doo, it has Android. Ooh, and a slide-out keyboard. It's still a toy. If you can't roll with the grown-ups, then maybe you would be better with it..
    11-14-09 10:31 PM
    Ami I've had this phone for 4 months now and there isn't anything great about it. Just to let you know I do a lot of reading on every phone I get my hands on so I do know everything about this phone and other blackberrys. Don't get me wrong the blackberry is a great phone but its far behind the rest of them which would explain why rim is now updating their browser.

Last edited by BlackBerryUserBB; 11-14-09 at 10:49 PM.
    11-14-09 10:46 PM
    I know my phones are old.. Look ill go into att monday and try out the bold2 then ill give my review but just to remind you we're still using WAP in a new ERA kinda tells you something

11-14-09 11:22 PM
    I know my phones are old.. Look ill go into att monday and try out the bold2 then ill give my review but just to remind you we're still using WAP in a new ERA kinda tells you something

You don't have to use WAP while browsing on BB. The BB browser works for the sites that I need on the go and when I have time or need to go to a site that is more graphic I use Opera 5 beta or Bolt. Its a no brainer that the iPhone, Droid, Pre, etc have a better browser. If that's all your looking for in your phone then I reccomend one of those phones. Also, people need to realize that the BB browser is very capable if you know how to use it. There are settings that can be changed to make browsing fast and efficient, each site is different.

11-15-09 12:51 AM
    Well I've got my browser customized just for the record but its not for speed

11-15-09 11:11 AM
    What kind of 3rd party apps did you have in your BB?
    11-15-09 11:13 AM
    This is what I have on my phone Ubertwitter,viigo,bolt,opera 5,aim,facebook

11-15-09 11:43 AM
    As of lately the hour glass hasn't showed up that much after shutting off the phone every night

11-15-09 11:47 AM
    If you're still on the 8300 that your profile suggests, of course it's gonna be slow. I had an 8300 and then an 8310 and now an 8900. There are worlds of difference. I used to always have to delete my texts because of lagging in and out of the most frequently messaged people. Now I don't have to worry about that. Does it lag a little sometimes, yeah. But it's substantially faster. I'm not always rebooting mine now, and having over 100MB of memory is something I never fathomed with my old 8300 considering that hitting 20MB was a blessing.

Try a *new* phone before you start knocking BB. Does the Droid or iPhone really have that much in terms of processor speed?

I personally totally agree with Reed McLay, that maybe BB isn't for you. Every phone and brand excel at certain things. So get one that best fits your liking. Which, as far as I can tell, is just wanting something new, not a particular feature. So I would expect to see you complain about the Droid after a few months/days too.
    11-15-09 01:37 PM
    But that's if I get the droid right now I'm pretty sure ill get the iphone3gs and I won't complain about it because everything is updated as well as the speaker. All of the other problems on the iphone can be fixed by jail breaking it.

11-15-09 01:48 PM
    But that's if I get the droid right now I'm pretty sure ill get the iphone3gs and I won't complain about it because everything is updated as well as the speaker. All of the other problems on the iphone can be fixed by jail breaking it.

You can't "fix" not having a physical keyboard. What if you have problems with the touch screen keyboards?
    11-15-09 01:52 PM
    You can't "fix" not having a physical keyboard. What if you have problems with the touch screen keyboards?
    When I had the iphone 2g not once did I ever have a problem with the touch screen keyboard so I don't think that will be a issue. One of my fav things about the iphone once jail broken you can change the keyboard with themes so you'll always have a new look when needed. I had the storm style keyboard on my mine right before I got rid of it

11-15-09 02:06 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD