09-08-08 10:02 AM
32 12
tools
    HDMI cables are a must with digital optical for audio.
    And expensive , so everytime a cable or satellite tech comes out to hook something up, try to get another HDMI cable because a lot of companies scrimp and don't include them with your TV - even though you're spending a ton on it, . Most add-ons like blueray and surround receivers use them.
    09-05-08 10:58 PM
    I think someone already said it, but don't buy cables at the store...look for them online... Ifound a 6ft UCL rated HDMI for $15
    09-05-08 11:06 PM
    Also, 120Hz refresh rate on an LCD makes a big difference
    09-05-08 11:08 PM
    I bought my HDMI cables off amazon.com 65% less than best buy
    09-06-08 04:57 PM
    I have the Sony Bravia 1080p.
    Don't have a blueray player but I use the playstation3 for tht purpose
    I got the hdmi cable on amazon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Solachica; 09-06-08 at 05:36 PM.
    09-06-08 05:32 PM
    Oh the irony of me responding to this.

I'm a tech junkie, as much as I am a political, sport and legal junkie as well.

I personally have two LCD tvs and one plasma.

Advantages of Plasma: Produces blacker blacks, produces minimal blurry'ness when images move fast, crisper picture around the edges; and the plasma screen brings out the clarity of colors a bit more in the picture. Of course all this depends on the brand of the tv, just as it depends on the brand of LCD screens as well. Disadvantages of Plasma: Can be prone to burn-in (for example when you've got the tv on a channel, and the logo of the channel is on the tv for a while; for example CNN or somethig...well that logo might get burned into the Plasma panel so that you can still see the outline of the logo on the screen even after the tv's turned off; this happens from the heat that plasma screens tend to generate. Another disadvantage is that the same-sized screen in an LCD tv, will be priced higher in a plasma tv of the same size.

Advantages of LCD: Wider viewing angles; which allow you to view the tv from angles and still see images on the screen; whereas if you view a plasma from that same angle...all you may see is black. Compared to this option that comes in some plasmas, this option comes in most all LCDs...but you can connect your laptop/desktop to the LCD...and have the LCD serve as the computer's monitor. Also, LCD's don't have the burn-in problem because they produce much less heat than plasmas do. You can get a lot more screen real estate with the price of LCDs, than you can w/ plasmas. Disadvantages of LCD: Darker colors on screen; such as black...don't look as rich and deep as they look on plasmas. LCDs are prone to producing blur when images move fast (such as during basketball, football games, etc.) But all this is dependent on the brand of the LCD as well; just as all the pluses and minuses of the plasma are brand-dependent. But IN GENERAL; these are the pluses and minuses associated with these two types of technology.

There's 1080p and 1080i (p=progressive, i=interlaced); basically the refresh rate on the screen on a 1080p is much quicker...therefore it produces even sharper images. Whereas the refresh rate on a 1080i is interlaced/sequenced...doesn't produce as sharp of an image compared to "p".

Here's another thing to take into consideration; the output of a screen is only as good as the signal going into it. Most all channels, even most "HD" channels are only broadcast in "720" signal...so although the 720 image looks better than what the image on a non-LCD/non-Plasma screen would look...it obviously wont look as nice as an image broadcast in true 1080. Slowly most transmission and signals will offer more of a true 1080 lineup. For now, you'll truly get the 1080 image experience on a 1080 screen when you watch High-Definition movies (Blu-ray for example) and when you watch channels broadcast in 1080 (HDnet for example).

Some LCD and Plasma screens also have built-in tuners where you can pick up shows that are broadcast in HD over the air. So let's say you dont have any HD channels that come w/ your cable or dish package, or don't have any HD-quality movies to watch...you can watch a football/basketball game in HD if its broadcast in HD on Fox, CBS, NBC, ESPN for example...if they're offering that game in HD.

Either way, a 1080 (whether "i" or "p")...is a good buy. Whether you go with a LCD or Plasma screen is your call. And remember, this is KEY after you decide on which technology screen to buy...GET HDMI cables for your tv...they work with either LCD or Plasma. Let's just say this...after a long day at work, if im not socializing, after the cold beer(s), before sleep...oh how my PS3 hooked to my plasma playing Call of Duty/Madden keeps me entertained.

I've got my xbox360 hooked to one of my LCDs...and that looks mighty handsome as well...well almost compared to the guy holding its controller .

Hope that sheds a bit more light than was there to begin with.
    Dang!!! i Just bought me a 46" Panasonic Plasma.... and im starting to regret it. so when something burns into the screen thats that stay on there permanently or is there a way for it to come off??
    09-08-08 09:34 AM
    Don't forget too that there are 2 different types of HD. There is truer HD and broadcast HD. True HD is going to be your espn, discovery and a few others depending on your cable provider. You will need an HD cable box inorder to get those programs. Broadcast HD is when they take the program and pass it through a filter. Although the picture may look a little sharper, it is not going to be as clear as you would think. You can tell the difference between the 2 NY looking at the program. If there are black bars on the left and right of the program, and it lists as HD, its going to be a broadcast program. True HD is going to fill your screen completely.

Dish companies will advertise they "broadcast" 180 channels in HD. Keyword being broadcast. You are looking for programs that are broadcast in true HD. And signal will play a huge part in picture quality. If you have a poor or weak signal they HD stations are going to have what's called digital breakup or pixilization. That's when you see little squares during the program and sometimes the audio will sound like someone is scratching a record.

Hope all this info has helped and if you have anymore questions you know where to find us.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-08 10:02 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD