Really just looking for general tips here, since I'm not much an expert on the current tv market. I'm not rich but wouldn't mind paying extra for something really nice. My biggest considerations are things like whether to go the full 1080p or what technology to get (dlp vs lcd vs plasma). Any hd experts in the house?
    09-04-08 03:03 PM
    Not an expert, but I have two LCD TV's 13" Sharp Aquos and 32" Panasonic Viera HD. I find LCD to be superior to plasma. You generally get a wide angle of viewing for LCD and no reflections. Don't know about DLP.
    09-04-08 03:22 PM
    I bought a vizio just for the in home service that comes with it for free. After 6 months, pic is still great no problems.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-08 04:58 PM
    I have a 47 inch aquos and it is great. Definitely get the full 1080 and lcd is much better and slimmer then dlp but it is much more expensive.

09-04-08 05:02 PM
    I got a 62 inch dlp mitshubishi, love it. I also have a 42 inch lcd from vizio. I recommend lcd for anything 50 and below and dlp for anything 50 and higher.

09-04-08 05:23 PM
    Really just looking for general tips here, since I'm not much an expert on the current tv market. I'm not rich but wouldn't mind paying extra for something really nice. My biggest considerations are things like whether to go the full 1080p or what technology to get (dlp vs lcd vs plasma). Any hd experts in the house?
    Oh the irony of me responding to this.

I'm a tech junkie, as much as I am a political, sport and legal junkie as well.

I personally have two LCD tvs and one plasma.

Advantages of Plasma: Produces blacker blacks, produces minimal blurry'ness when images move fast, crisper picture around the edges; and the plasma screen brings out the clarity of colors a bit more in the picture. Of course all this depends on the brand of the tv, just as it depends on the brand of LCD screens as well. Disadvantages of Plasma: Can be prone to burn-in (for example when you've got the tv on a channel, and the logo of the channel is on the tv for a while; for example CNN or somethig...well that logo might get burned into the Plasma panel so that you can still see the outline of the logo on the screen even after the tv's turned off; this happens from the heat that plasma screens tend to generate. Another disadvantage is that the same-sized screen in an LCD tv, will be priced higher in a plasma tv of the same size.

Advantages of LCD: Wider viewing angles; which allow you to view the tv from angles and still see images on the screen; whereas if you view a plasma from that same angle...all you may see is black. Compared to this option that comes in some plasmas, this option comes in most all LCDs...but you can connect your laptop/desktop to the LCD...and have the LCD serve as the computer's monitor. Also, LCD's don't have the burn-in problem because they produce much less heat than plasmas do. You can get a lot more screen real estate with the price of LCDs, than you can w/ plasmas. Disadvantages of LCD: Darker colors on screen; such as black...don't look as rich and deep as they look on plasmas. LCDs are prone to producing blur when images move fast (such as during basketball, football games, etc.) But all this is dependent on the brand of the LCD as well; just as all the pluses and minuses of the plasma are brand-dependent. But IN GENERAL; these are the pluses and minuses associated with these two types of technology.

There's 1080p and 1080i (p=progressive, i=interlaced); basically the refresh rate on the screen on a 1080p is much quicker...therefore it produces even sharper images. Whereas the refresh rate on a 1080i is interlaced/sequenced...doesn't produce as sharp of an image compared to "p".

Here's another thing to take into consideration; the output of a screen is only as good as the signal going into it. Most all channels, even most "HD" channels are only broadcast in "720" signal...so although the 720 image looks better than what the image on a non-LCD/non-Plasma screen would look...it obviously wont look as nice as an image broadcast in true 1080. Slowly most transmission and signals will offer more of a true 1080 lineup. For now, you'll truly get the 1080 image experience on a 1080 screen when you watch High-Definition movies (Blu-ray for example) and when you watch channels broadcast in 1080 (HDnet for example).

Some LCD and Plasma screens also have built-in tuners where you can pick up shows that are broadcast in HD over the air. So let's say you dont have any HD channels that come w/ your cable or dish package, or don't have any HD-quality movies to watch...you can watch a football/basketball game in HD if its broadcast in HD on Fox, CBS, NBC, ESPN for example...if they're offering that game in HD.

Either way, a 1080 (whether "i" or "p")...is a good buy. Whether you go with a LCD or Plasma screen is your call. And remember, this is KEY after you decide on which technology screen to buy...GET HDMI cables for your tv...they work with either LCD or Plasma. Let's just say this...after a long day at work, if im not socializing, after the cold beer(s), before sleep...oh how my PS3 hooked to my plasma playing Call of Duty/Madden keeps me entertained.

I've got my xbox360 hooked to one of my LCDs...and that looks mighty handsome as well...well almost compared to the guy holding its controller .

Hope that sheds a bit more light than was there to begin with.
    Last edited by Hi-Definition; 09-04-08 at 05:31 PM.
    09-04-08 05:27 PM
    Get a Samsung LCD!

09-04-08 05:30 PM
    I would say buy as big as you can afford. With tvs bigger is better. I have a 42" sharp aquos 1080p lcd and it is great. I have directv feeding me hdtv and a ps3. The only regret i have is not buying a bigger one!!! Mine feels so small compared to my friends 60" or other friends 61" . Oh and one last thing no matter what they tell you at best buy or whatever store yuo go to DO NOT buy monster cables!!!!! or any other high priced cable!!!! Search the web you can find $10 hdmi cables!!!! Because it dont make a difference. hdmi cables transfer digital signals and unless your running a super high end setup $10 no name cables work just the same as $80 monster cables
    09-04-08 06:15 PM
    the sony ones with the 120hz refresh are crazy insane sharp, but when you watch almost anything on it in HD, motion almost tends to look "over exaggerated" kinda like when you see raw video from a camcorder... i dunno, to me it's not quite ready but to alot of of other people it is absolutely the greatest thing ever. Almost has a pseudo 3D effect... like a high definition view master... and many many times more expensive

jmo
    09-04-08 06:27 PM
    After YEARS of envious drooling over other people's HDTV's, my wife and I finally took the plunge and bought a Sony Bravia LCD 52" wdl3000 series. Came in at $2500 (tax extra) plus we did a Blueray to bring the total to $3K.

How good is it? We just helped her parents purchase their new Sony (this year's ver of mine is the V4100). The olympics came in crystal clear.

A few other points:
    - regular sat or cable tv is fuzzy and can't compare to HD quality. But the 52" makes up for the low quality. DVDs are awsome! Inlaws get 16 HD channels over the air for free - I'm so jealous.

- recent consumer reports (summer 2008) claim that Sony and Panasonic are the most reliable over time.

- built in speakers are so good you don't even need to dish out extra for the home theater system ... At least at first.

- the claims of slow LCD refresh compared to plasma are not apparent on my system. My pic quality is breathtakingly beautifull. But I admit that I'm past the gaming age. And, there is a Bravia with a faster refresh rate if it's a big deal (xbr). I don't regret not spending more.

- watch out for the fact that the TV can make the existing room look outdated. After new TV, Wife needed a new couch and chair and paint to match ..... Cost more than the TV!

Next project is to build an HTPC. Have sort of decided on LinuxMCE. But that's a whole other story.

No regrets here .... Go big or go home!

W.

09-04-08 06:35 PM
    I have had a Vizio LCD for 2 years and am very satisfied with it. It is a great value for the price and has a terrific picture.

09-04-08 06:42 PM
    =And, there is a Bravia with a faster refresh rate if it's a big deal (xbr). I don't regret not spending more.
    Yeah thats what i'm talking about, when you watch it has sporadic bursts of speed that just feel really odd...

Does your BluRay do the dvd up-scaling?

I helped setup my friend's 52 bravia, first thing we watched was the SuperBit Fifth Element...... wow! couldn't believe how clear it was, slight pixelization here and there but you REALLY have to look for it! Fantastic for a format that is more than twice as small as the native resolution of the screen...
    09-04-08 06:47 PM
    Check out Westinghouse. You can get them at best buy for a good price. I bought a 47" LCD 1080p there for $1299. I absolutely love it. However, as said above it will only be as sharp as the service you have coming in. I hooked my xbox 360 to my friends HDTV(not LCD) and it looked like crap compared to when it's hooked up to mine. I really don't think you can beat the size and quality for the price.
    09-04-08 06:56 PM
    Check out Westinghouse. You can get them at best buy for a good price. I bought a 47" LCD 1080p there for $1299.
    I actually saw a 42" 1080p westing at costco for 700 bucks...
    09-04-08 07:07 PM
    I actually saw a 42" 1080p westing at costco for 700 bucks...
    Yeah the price and the stats are the reason i bought it. I just looked at best buy online and they have my tv for $1199 now.
    09-04-08 07:14 PM
    Everyone has given such good advice, . I read your title and had a great speil, but everythings been covered. I'll just mention source. The debate between cable and satellite TV can go on all night, but you owe it yourself to get one or the other's HD package with DVR. You won't regret it.

Sure sports and movies are incredible on HD, but I am hypnotized by the natural history and nature channels. There are some channels that are just for HD that are spell binding. The other day I watched an aerial tour of Ireland. I was trapped by the beauty of it and couldn't move from my sofa until it was over.

I often wonder what I ever did without it. My advice is to make sure you get 1080 and try to get the biggest screen you can afford. I don't want to anger anyone, but a projection model really isn't worth it because the quality of the picture rapidly degrades as your angle to it moves. Other than that, just have fun; it's an awesome experience.

09-04-08 07:35 PM
    Everyone has given such good advice, . I read your title and had a great speil, but everythings been covered. I'll just mention source. The debate between cable and satellite TV can go on all night, but you owe it yourself to get one or the other's HD package with DVR. You won't regret it.

Sure sports and movies are incredible on HD, but I am hypnotized by the natural history and nature channels. There are some channels that are just for HD that are spell binding. The other day I watched an aerial tour of Ireland. I was trapped by the beauty of it and couldn't move from my sofa until it was over.

I often wonder what I ever did without it. My advice is to make sure you get 1080 and try to get the biggest screen you can afford. I don't want to anger anyone, but a projection model really isn't worth it because the quality of the picture rapidly degrades as your angle to it moves. Other than that, just have fun; it's an awesome experience.

I gotta 2nd this, once you go HD for sports or nature, (discovery HD rocks), it's hard to watch regular programming.

09-04-08 09:20 PM
    I have a Philips 46inch Full HD LCD. Its really amazing with my PS3 hooked up to it and also a Philips 32inch HD LCD hooked up to my XBOX

09-04-08 09:29 PM
    SamSung LCD or Vizio my suggestion
    09-05-08 06:08 AM
    Wow, thanks to everyone for the great advice...I should print this thread out and bring it with me to the store!

I guess one thing that still has me wondering is whether or not name brands are really worth the extra money. It seems like by and large brands like Sharp and Panasonic are more reliable, but plenty of people are more than satisfied with their Vizio or Westinghouse too. Is it worth it to get a bigger screen from a no-name brand or a smaller screen from Sony or someone?
    09-05-08 10:01 AM
    Wow, thanks to everyone for the great advice...I should print this thread out and bring it with me to the store!

I guess one thing that still has me wondering is whether or not name brands are really worth the extra money. It seems like by and large brands like Sharp and Panasonic are more reliable, but plenty of people are more than satisfied with their Vizio or Westinghouse too. Is it worth it to get a bigger screen from a no-name brand or a smaller screen from Sony or someone?
    Go with the best picture, but consider the warranty. When I got mine, I was petrified at the thought of having to unhook and take a 100 pound half a wall tv into a shop to get it fixed. In home is nice. You're already doing the best thing you can, homework on big buys like this saves a lot of regret down the road.
    Also you need to really think out how your going to mount it and wire it, that can get pricey and complicated REAL quick.

09-05-08 10:17 AM
    I agree on the warranty/service. We added 3 year in home on our Panasonic. They will come out once a year and clean the thing even if nothing is wrong. If there's screen damage such as lost pixels or ghosting, or anything they will replace the thing for free.
    09-05-08 10:32 AM
    Well said on the warranty.

Another issue is the housing around the screen. Mine is not glossy therefore it gives off no glare. My buddies however has a high gloss finish around the screen and the glare drives me nuts. He never really noticed until he was over at my house and now it drives him nuts as well. Don't know if anyone else has an opinion on this but it was a factor for me going with Westinghouse.
    09-05-08 03:07 PM
    you definately will want to go with an LCD. Plasma is ok but you have to be careful with it. If you pause a program via Tivo or DVR and it stays paused for some time, it will burn the image into your screen. I have 2 LCD screens and love them. And go with the 1080, you will happy you did due to better picture quality and clarity with HD programming.
    09-05-08 08:53 PM
    am a technician for comcast so i see tv's all day long the best ones are samsung, sony,lg and phillips. if you can afford the 1080p go ahead but as of today no provider is broadcasting in 1080p except blu ray disc. i believe canada is broadcasting 1080p. HDMI cables are a must with digital optical for audio.
    09-05-08 10:20 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD