ok,,, i'm pretty accomodating when it comes to typos, grammar, allowing for the language barrier, (bravo to those that try, never apologize for trying), etc., BUT, lately there seems to be a monumental increase in threads/posts that are completely unintelligible/unreadable & most if not all are from 20 somethings & under,,, i mean i can't even get thru a single sentence without wondering if our entire school system even teaches the alphabet, let alone reading comprehension,,, this brought on a funny thought that occurred to me,,, the courtroom scene in "My Cousin Vinny" where Uncle Vinny is defending "the utes in question..."
    02-13-13 10:17 PM
    What's a ute?
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-14-13 03:55 AM
    How do you get mud into the tire?

It's a bit unfortunate but funny to me. You can expect a majority of teenagers or who those share similar maturity to go overboard with stuff like "lol" "u" and so on. On occasion, I might even use a lol or wtf, but generally, and most especially when engaged in somewhat serious conversation, I'm totally with you. My opinions of those who write such messy paragraphs and expect to be taken seriously; well I don't want to offend so i'll shut up
    02-14-13 04:21 AM
    @OP....I totally agree with you.
    SEAWARRIOR and BergerKing like this.
    02-14-13 04:25 AM
    What's a grit?

Kids these days, (I'm 28) are used to typing like this. I think it is because they think that what they have to say is so important that they need to type it out as quick as possible before the next on comes up. They also think that every thing that they have to say needs to be put out into the world.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-14-13 04:27 AM
    What's a grit?

Kids these days, (I'm 28) are used to typing like this. I think it is because they think that what they have to say is so important that they need to type it out as quick as possible before the next on comes up. They also think that every thing that they have to say needs to be put out into the world.

i'm not talking about text speak,,, or even the occasional text/forum cliche's, lol, u, etc,,, i try to avoid them but do use them myself,,, 1/one & 2/two are what i use most often,,, i'm talking about a complete and utter failure to be the slightest bit literate,,, i wonder how some people will get thru the day if they ever have to write a complete sentence on a resume' or application...
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-14-13 04:57 AM
    What's a ute?
    a ute is a young indiviual,,, usually from Jersey City, the Bronx or Brooklyn...
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-14-13 05:01 AM
    What's a grit?
    grit is what you'll need to build the character & fortitude to get thru the trails & tribulations of life as we know it,,, ORRR,,, a bland flavored, (think oatmeal), southern U.S. delicacy made of ground corn hominy usually mixed w/ butter, a splash of gravy or the jelly of your choice to give them flavor...
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-14-13 05:09 AM
    grit is what you'll need to build the character & fortitude to get thru the trails & tribulations of life as we know it,,, ORRR,,, a bland flavored, (think oatmeal), southern U.S. delicacy made of ground corn hominy usually mixed w/ butter, a splash of gravy or the jelly of your choice to give them flavor...
    Someone has never seen "My Cousin Vinny"
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-14-13 05:13 AM
    Someone has never seen "My Cousin Vinny"
    someone hasn't read my 1st post...
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-14-13 05:36 AM
    I teach "utes" in college and I dread grading any assignments in which I have to interpret what they are trying to say. You know a period or comma can go a long way.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-14-13 06:03 AM
    yes, i, do...
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-14-13 06:33 AM
    And with full key boards, auto-complete, word substitution and predictive text, the old texting shorts are obsolete. The utes are holding on to a bygone practice. Ironic.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-14-13 07:40 AM
    Op. The sociolects of young people are the languages of the future. If you can't understand them then you are illiterate!!

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-14-13 07:45 AM
    I think a lot of the threads you are referring to here on CrackBerry with bad grammar, are from people who's first language may not be english.

Tim-ANC and BergerKing like this.
    02-14-13 07:53 AM
    ok,,, i'm pretty accomodating when it comes to typos, grammar, allowing for the language barrier, (bravo to those that try, never apologize for trying), etc., BUT, lately there seems to be a monumental increase in threads/posts that are completely unintelligible/unreadable & most if not all are from 20 somethings & under,,, i mean i can't even get thru a single sentence without wondering if our entire school system even teaches the alphabet, let alone reading comprehension,,, this brought on a funny thought that occurred to me,,, the courtroom scene in "My Cousin Vinny" where Uncle Vinny is defending "the utes in question..."
    Kind of like how you wrote this paragraph. I'm not sure how you can criticize others when you are doing the same thing. Just sayin'
    twstd.reality and BergerKing like this.
    02-14-13 10:59 AM
    What's a ute?
    Ute people (pron.: /ˈjuːt/) are an indigenous people of the Great Basin, now living primarily in Utah and Colorado. There are three Ute tribal reservations: Uintah-Ouray in northeastern Utah (3,500 members); Southern Ute in Colorado (1,500 members); and Ute Mountain which primarily lies in Colorado, but extends to Utah and New Mexico (2,000 members). The name of the state of Utah was derived from the name Ute. The University of Utah, the state's flagship university, has adopted the Ute name as its mascot. The word Ute means "Land of the sun" in their language.[2] "Ute" possibly derived from the Western Apache word "yudah", meaning "high up." This has led to the misconception that "Ute" means people high up or mountain people.
    02-14-13 11:00 AM
    Ironic, given your repeated use of run on sentences and misuse of punctuation.
    howarmat, middbrew and louzer like this.
    02-14-13 11:31 AM
    02-14-13 11:38 AM
    An elypsis is only three periods...
    02-14-13 01:06 PM
    An elypsis is only three periods...
    Ellipsis
    SEAWARRIOR, BergerKing and h20work like this.
    02-14-13 02:03 PM
    Literacy is not the purview of the aged.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-14-13 02:04 PM
    Literacy is not the purview of the aged.
    Er, that makes no sense. Purview = scope or breadth of understanding.

Literacy would be in the purview or not in the purview, not the purview of the aged.

/highschoolenglishuseage
    02-14-13 03:03 PM
    Er, that makes no sense. Purview = scope or breadth of understanding.

Literacy would be in the purview or not in the purview, not the purview of the aged.

/highschoolenglishuseage
    You seem to have understood despite my garbling of the sentence. I probably should have specified "exclusive purview". I was also thinking more along the lines of "field of authority".

/wenttofrenchschoolanyway
    Last edited by emstardeluxe; 02-14-13 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Clarity
    anon3969612 and BergerKing like this.
    02-14-13 04:59 PM
    I think a lot of the threads you are referring to here on CrackBerry with bad grammar, are from people who's first language may not be english.

Good point.
    02-14-13 07:01 PM
77 123 ...