*note: this question isn't intended for people that are currently happy with their current blackberries. I am comparing it to the iPhone because "I", not you, think that the iPhone has great features (yes, much better than blackbery) but would like either bbm in the iPhone, or the blackberry to be more like an iPhone while keeping the bbm...with that said...

...If tomorrow RIM added BBM to the iPhone would you go iPhone? Yes/No

As for me. I cannot live without the blackberry..specifically bbm...and I mean that literally. I have my whole family from abroad on it, a bunch of friends and mainly my job (which is why I cannot live without it). I love bbm, I can share my pictures, chats and get in touch with family abroad. It's great. The problem that I have is that after being a hardcore Blackberry user I've realized that I can no longer pretend that the hardware they use and the OS they use is on par with todays phones.

What would I change about it?

Basically, make it more like an iPhone. Easy, sleek, high res screen, media friendly, app friendly, responsive as ****, dual cameras...eveything but the crappy reception (which is what I HATE about the iPhone...that and it doesn't have bbm). And no, I'm not gonna be like my friends that have an iPhone and a Blackberry...I want one phone that can do it all. Maybe with the acquisition of TAT they finally make something like this.

If not, I think that they need to step down from the hardware game and sell bbm to the other platforms and call it a day.
    01-13-11 02:31 AM
    No. I'm not tethered to BBM. I do use it everyday and it's a great IM program. However there are so many alternatives that I won't miss it.

I'm going Android and am already letting my BBM contacts know that I'll be on Google Talk now. It's not a big deal. There's also AIM, Yahoo, FB Chat, email, Google Voice SMS, SMS, etc.

Email is international and as quick as any IM app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-11 02:47 AM
    this is the torch 9800 section dude..
    01-13-11 03:27 AM
    No I wouldn't. Went from Android to iphone and ended up on BB... Will stay..
    01-13-11 03:39 AM
    Selling bbm to other platforms isn't going to work considering its based on an infrastructure that no other phones use...

If people only wanted the BBM ui, then they don't need the actual bbm anyways, just an app that clones the ui.

01-13-11 03:40 AM
    Nope, BBM is just the icing on my Blackberry. I love my Blackberry for more then just BBM. The battery life, keyboard, call quality, snappy OS is enough for me to stay with Blackberry.
    01-13-11 04:36 AM
    Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. I own and Torch and to me, as a user, it's the closest thing Apple and RIM that are alike. If an admin wants to move it please do.
    01-13-11 04:54 AM
    Selling bbm to other platforms isn't going to work considering its based on an infrastructure that no other phones use...

If people only wanted the BBM ui, then they don't need the actual bbm anyways, just an app that clones the ui.

Thing about BBM is that it goes through the RIM servers and it's more than an app....it's basically hardwired to the OS. You can technically delete it but it's a huge part of the blackberry.

When I mean that BBM should be put in to other phones I mean EXACTLY like it. Let's say tomorrow APPLE brings their new iPhone 5s with integrated messaging through their APPLE network and all the good stuff bbm has. To me that's huge. Same with Android. They could implement something like this and suddenly, in my opinion, blackberry wouldn't stand out as much. Mind you, I want them to...I just think they need to focus on the fancy shiny stuff too...sadly I'm a sucker for that as well as BBM and keyboards.
    01-13-11 04:59 AM
    No I wouldn't. Went from Android to iphone and ended up on BB... Will stay..
    Can you tell me what you didn't like about the Android and iPhones that made you go back to BB? for example BBM, keyboard? other stuff?

For some reason it's hard for me to see past that. If you take away the keyboard and BBM then I feel like I'm just left with an....ok OS.
    01-13-11 05:03 AM
    Nope, BBM is just the icing on my Blackberry. I love my Blackberry for more then just BBM. The battery life, keyboard, call quality, snappy OS is enough for me to stay with Blackberry.
    Those are good points. I do love my keyboard and my battery life, call quality is excellent too...I just think that little by little these qualities are not going to be enough to keep RIM afloat..phones are getting better with battery life, call quality AND adding keyboards or accessories. I feel like Blackberry has all that thats good and the other phones have the other half that BBs are missing. I want them to mate lol
    01-13-11 05:06 AM
    I just hate how apple do business, it's a nice phone, if they could just stop telling people what to do with it, and forcing them to comply with their demand.
    01-13-11 05:31 AM
    No. I love BlackBerry. I had an iPhone and hated it. I'm sticking with BlackBerry.

01-13-11 05:54 AM
    Its not the bbm my boss has a I4 he wanted me to get one but it not for me.
    I use my bb for work and not for playing and everytime there is a important email and his out the office i have to call him or use whatsapp so that he can check the mail. Beside his reception and battery life are bad.
    Last time we where in a meeting and he told me my I4 is dead no reception and I had 3G on mine.

I also have a couple of game here and see youtube videos, play music when I'm at home or at the airport etc.

So its not the bbm I like it for what the bb does for me.

01-13-11 08:47 AM
    Can you tell me what you didn't like about the Android and iPhones that made you go back to BB? for example BBM, keyboard? other stuff?

For some reason it's hard for me to see past that. If you take away the keyboard and BBM then I feel like I'm just left with an....ok OS.
    I needed a fast device meaning doing immediate calls, fast getting to emails and response and so on..

All the other OSes just made me loose too much time. Somtimes they just restart or won't let me take phone calls. Searching for contacts is a mess. No hardware call button.

Reception on iphone: complete fail!! On android half fail..
    Speaker and mic on iphone?: complete fail!! Android is ok though..

There are so many other small things like the LED. I can configure colors and see if there is something important. Complete fail on iphone and half fail on android.

Battery life is also a huge deal. My torch lasts longer than any of my iphone or android devices even with bbm. The rest of usage is identical.

Basically it is just faster than any other os and if your workload is really high you need a tool not a toy.
    Last edited by steiale; 01-13-11 at 09:00 AM.
    01-13-11 08:58 AM
    Speedster, I have a big problem with your line of questioning and statements. For one your asking Torch owners that aren't happy w/ their BBs if they would change. That's a no brainer. You should be asking the ones that does like their Torches if they would jump ship if...
    Next. You said if Rim added bbm to the iphone. As if Apple would really let another company play w/ its os.

Now you want to tell me you can't live w/ out your BB. Sounds like to me your the that's looking for a reason to bail out. Quit confusing to me.
    To answer your question no I wouldn't. I have iphones. Even though they are my wife's old ones. The iphone can use I'm clients so I really don't see the need for it to carry the BBm. I don't use my BBM ever. I use my BB for what it is. To commutacate w/ the rest of the world. I don't know about your BBs but all mine back to the 8310 are very media friEndly. I can't think of a media file iphone can play that the BB can't. Its easier to use your custom ring tones on the BB than the iphone. Its easier to put the media on and take it off the BB also. As far as the high def screen of the Ip4. The IP4 has a bigger screen all together. As far as seeing a difference I can't see any.

01-13-11 09:27 AM
    I would have to say NO. I think the iPhone is a great phone but I got the torch because of the touchscreen/qwerty combo. I had briefly had the phone 3GS and returned it because I hated texting oin the touch screen.

I hardly use BBM aswell. Only know 2 people with a blackberry. I love the torch but I would only consider iphone if I got a qwerty which I think they should do. Who says iphone can't have more than 1 phone out?

01-13-11 09:48 AM
    if an android phone had bbm, I'd be tempted. Not the iphone though.
    01-13-11 09:51 AM
    Nope. I don't even use bbm. Text only. I've owned the iphone before and hated it.

01-13-11 10:39 AM
    I haven't used BBM - not yet at least. Also, had the iphone 3gs before my Torch. Now it's just a kind of ipod touch I guess....even though I don't use it much anyway.

So, to answer your question....no. I wouldn't switch over. The iphone is a really good phone, I'll admit. I talked it up when I first got it too. But I missed things like a kb, battery life, customization, etc. And there were repeated appts that I couldn't set up easily on the iphone because the calendar didnt have the right reoccurance options.

Things that may seem simple but add up and effect the overall feel and usage of a smartphone.

01-13-11 11:07 AM
    Speedster, I have a big problem with your line of questioning and statements. For one your asking Torch owners that aren't happy w/ their BBs if they would change. That's a no brainer. You should be asking the ones that does like their Torches if they would jump ship if...
    Next. You said if Rim added bbm to the iphone. As if Apple would really let another company play w/ its os.
    I'm not asking people that aren't happy with their Torch to see if they would jump ship. To me, it's not that simple. I like my Torch...I don't LOVE it...but it gets the job done, but I do think there is room for improvement. Am I asking for a reason to maybe jump ship? sure....maybe. I like the iPhone...I don't love it either but I'm not going to sit here and say the Torch is perfect . I like things about the iPhone and things about the Torch. Right now the Torch does it for me mainly because of BBM and i get a decent OS. Whether you love blackberries or not I think that what I asked for was a simple question that some people might have in mind.

Also, I'm not saying Apple will let another play with it's OS..it was a rhetorical question....maybe Apple will do it their own way...I don't know...it's rhetorical.

Would I jump ship if they had BBM...maybe...I still love the keyboard, great reception and battery life...but I do want more and I like how the iPhone works...my opinion.
    Last edited by speedster277; 01-13-11 at 11:18 AM.
    01-13-11 11:13 AM
    If there was a BB form factor in android, I would consider switching.

The rumoured Samsung Galaxy Q or Motor Droid Pro (if there was a 3G/GSM version) would be very, very tempting...
    01-13-11 12:28 PM
    If BBM was available for Android I would switch no doubt. BBM and the physical keyboards is pretty much the only reasons keeping me on my 9700.
    01-13-11 12:30 PM
    I'm not asking people that aren't happy with their Torch to see if they would jump ship. To me, it's not that simple. I like my Torch...I don't LOVE it...but it gets the job done, but I do think there is room for improvement. Am I asking for a reason to maybe jump ship? sure....maybe. I like the iPhone...I don't love it either but I'm not going to sit here and say the Torch is perfect . I like things about the iPhone and things about the Torch. Right now the Torch does it for me mainly because of BBM and i get a decent OS. Whether you love blackberries or not I think that what I asked for was a simple question that some people might have in mind.

Also, I'm not saying Apple will let another play with it's OS..it was a rhetorical question....maybe Apple will do it their own way...I don't know...it's rhetorical.

Would I jump ship if they had BBM...maybe...I still love the keyboard, great reception and battery life...but I do want more and I like how the iPhone works...my opinion.
    You are indeed intitled to your opinion. I didn't find anything rhetorical about any question you asked. You said it yourself thst your question wasn't aimed at people that are happy w/ their BBs. Only thing left is people that are not. Why would an ip4 with an I'm client not work for you? You'll have your double sidrd camra and high res. Screen.
    I'm sure that a lot of oeople sit around and wish their BB was an iphone. I just don't understand why they don't just get one. I for one would jump shio if Rim picked up apple's bad habits.

01-13-11 12:39 PM
    Since I am not a big BBM user, the answer is no. Love my Torch and love the flexibility of personalization and the ease of use. Left WinMo and am here to stay.
    01-13-11 12:40 PM
    You are indeed intitled to your opinion. I didn't find anything rhetorical about any question you asked. You said it yourself thst your question wasn't aimed at people that are happy w/ their BBs. Only thing left is people that are not. Why would an ip4 with an I'm client not work for you? You'll have your double sidrd camra and high res. Screen.
    I'm sure that a lot of oeople sit around and wish their BB was an iphone. I just don't understand why they don't just get one. I for one would jump shio if Rim picked up apple's bad habits.

I didn't mean rhetorical sorry, I meant hypothetically speaking. My bad. The iPhone with an IM client doesnt work for me because BBM has certain aspects of it that I love. I have 4 groups. Family, Work, Friends and some other one. There me and my family of like 15 people around the world share our pictures, comments and chat...For work, we have the calendar, tasks and chat as well. I love how it's hardwired to the phone and how I can use with wifi. It's just awesome the way it works. The BB OS on the other hand..it's meh...It's not horrible but I've had a better experience with iPhone and Android phones.

Out of curiosity. Is there anything you would want different on your Torch or which ever BB you own, or are you 100% satisfied with your device. Is there nothing you like from the iPhone/Android phones that you wouldn't want implemented on your blackberry?

I haven't used the Playbook yet (as most people haven't) but it looks like its using a promising OS that could just be what I'm looking for in a cellphone.
    01-13-11 02:12 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD