Microsoft has Windows Phone and a PC OS....Apple has the iPhone and OS X for PCs.....They are even making Android for PCs as well.......so, what would your thoughts on Blackberry making its own Desktop OS for PCs.....I know it won't happen (and if it did, i'd be surprised).....Do you think you'd use it?

The Blackberry PlayBook, even though its 3 years old, is still a good tablet with its hardware. It is a 3 year old tablet that still is just as quick and even BETTER than it was when it came out due to software upgrades. Whereas, typically with Android and iOS devices, support is dropped in favor of NEW hardware and the older hardware is typically left in the dirt feeling old and sluggish. The PlayBook web browser is far more capable than the browser on iOS or Android in speed and functionality. The BB10 devices have improved this even more plus with the ability to run far more apps (when you include the vast majority of Android apps that work and the apps that are in Blackberry World, you have an app for everything you could want).....

Now....if Blackberry were to release a OS for PCs, do you think you'd use it? I can see some Pros with the Blackberry OS.....Blackberry has had a history of being VERY secure....and thats what drives people crazy with Windows....the constant need for security patches, virus scanner, spyware/malware issues. Apple is very secure too, however, Apple computers can be expensive up front and people hate on them for that. What if Blackberry could put out an OS that is cheaper than Windows but may even cost a bit more than OS X (considering the latest version of OS X was free, even 99 cents would be more)....would you PURCHASE Blackberry OS? Would you only use it if it was free? Would you buy a computer pre-loaded with Blackberry OS? IF you think of the quickness of BB10 on a 1.5Ghz Dual-Core CPU with 2GB RAM, imagine what it could do with modern PC hardware with 4-core, 6-core, 8-core, etc....and people using 4GB and more RAM.....it would be the perfect Desktop OS IMO...and I would definitely use it...
    03-29-14 08:07 PM
    I think it's a long shot. But they could do a desktop mode over windows when you plug your USB in the computer or something. Like plug n play video games.

I've seen some fuse concepts and they look sweet.

I can't see anyone choosing a desktop operating system over windows or OSX.
    I can see Google like their chrome OS only because they have so much money but other then that I just can't see it.

However you are wrong about apple being secure. It's just because no one wants to waste time on creating a virus for Apple when there are a sea of windows computers. Apple is just a drop in a bucket.
    what is nice about OSX is it runs the same all the time and windows need the occasional reboot.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 08:14 PM
    I think it's a long shot. But they could do a desktop mode over windows when you plug your USB in the computer or something. Like plug n play video games.

I've seen some fuse concepts and they look sweet.

I can't see anyone choosing a desktop operating system over windows or OSX.
    I can see Google like their chrome OS only because they have so much money but other then that I just can't see it.

However you are wrong about apple being secure. It's just because no one wants to waste time on creating a virus for Apple when there are a sea of windows computers. Apple is just a drop in a bucket.
    what is nice about OSX is it runs the same all the time and windows need the occasional reboot.

Posted via CB10
    I find the Chrome OS totally horrific....I've tried it, and I hated it.....I cringe at Chromebooks....but people do buy them b/c they are cheap and they do what they want them to do. If Blackberry were to release an OS that loaded on top of Windows like you were talking about, it'd be basically a Virtual Machine which doesn't run as well as it was if it was a native OS.....i've used Parallels on Mac and it wasn't that good compared to running Windows natively via BootCamp due to Windows running on top of OS X....Even if they made a USB Bootable version....like a live distro of Linux, which is also how Android x86 runs....I think it'd be interesting......
    03-29-14 08:44 PM
    I find the Chrome OS totally horrific....I've tried it, and I hated it.....I cringe at Chromebooks....but people do buy them b/c they are cheap and they do what they want them to do. If Blackberry were to release an OS that loaded on top of Windows like you were talking about, it'd be basically a Virtual Machine which doesn't run as well as it was if it was a native OS.....i've used Parallels on Mac and it wasn't that good compared to running Windows natively via BootCamp due to Windows running on top of OS X....Even if they made a USB Bootable version....like a live distro of Linux, which is also how Android x86 runs....I think it'd be interesting......
    Never said chrome OS is good but it is a train wreck.

I think vm is BlackBerry's best bet for now. It's a good start and if it's popular then they could extend out. Baby steps.

Look at all the cost cutting they are doing atm they don't have the cash to spend on r&d. Chrome OS was a perfect example because they have all the money on the world and still fail at OS even with tons of support.

They should be spending their precious r&d in updating their phone OS to catch up to the others. (I think it's the best but it is lacking a lot of features and dev support). BBM needs more functionality x platform and feature such as video and desktop. BES12 is chens baby so he's investing a lot of time on that.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 11:51 PM
    We have the world's fastest browser...add a few tweeks to accommodate some favorites used by many, (chrome) ...desk top for BBM is a MUST with full NOC/ BES options for business's of all sizes (including cloud BES for tiny home shops, or security conscious individuals) ...full voice/vid and wifi calling across everything and a kick azz file sharing program available across all platforms (office). Done..instant winner!

What we doing after coffee?

Is that a Z30...yes, yes it is.
    03-30-14 12:05 AM
    My answer is no. I would not use it. The world does not need another PC operating system. But what you get it is critical for BlackBerry. The phone needs a broader "ecosystem" in which to function. I think it is true that BlackBerry makes most sense to government and business users, at least as a base. Given that the predominant software is MS, BlackBerry must integrate well in that system. Or, if it reads the wind properly, given its similarity to android, it must join that wave and ride it. But it must do so asap, or die.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 02:27 AM
    We have the world's fastest browser...add a few tweeks to accommodate some favorites used by many, (chrome) ...desk top for BBM is a MUST with full NOC/ BES options for business's of all sizes (including cloud BES for tiny home shops, or security conscious individuals) ...full voice/vid and wifi calling across everything and a kick azz file sharing program available across all platforms (office). Done..instant winner!

What we doing after coffee?

Is that a Z30...yes, yes it is.
    Might be the fastest but far from the best. Look at all the things you can do with chrome and Firefox. Example plug-ins, there is no way BlackBerry would get dev support for that.

Posted via CB10
    imz likes this.
    03-30-14 08:14 AM
    I think BlackBerry should stay away from the laptop/desktop field. Stick to BlackBerry devices and simply concentrate on making the best BlackBerry devices ever.

To me, as a company, BlackBerry need to fix all current issues before adding something else into the mix, i.e. a desktop/laptop.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    03-30-14 08:31 AM
    Best if they do a Desktop Client for Mac and PC that would give us the best features from our phones to use on our work stations. From bbm to allowing file transfers between the two devices, access to contacts, schedule tasks, reminders, directly connected though outlook (for all non bes users at least) , etc. Hopefully this can be a wireless connection so we don't have to compromise having to plug in the phone to the PC.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 08:40 AM
    Look up QNX desktop. I installed it in my PC over a year ago. It's not meant for a daily user PC hut the OSCARS is out there and working. I even installed the 64bit version.

Very different than the BB10 we all know if and love though.

As for cost, I used a trial version. Was fun to play around with.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 08:47 AM
    Let's be honest here...

If Blackberry cannot make "software" e.g. Blackberry Link to run well on a desktop OS, how can we expect them to build an actual OS.

BB10 is struggling to garner any phone support from developers, it's highly unlikely it will get developer support for its OS version whether or not its an expanded version of BB10 on a bigger screen.

* Microsoft has its own proprietary software such Office plus big devs (like Adobe etc) + app store, it can have Windows 8
    * Apple has its own software and app store too plus big devs (like Adobe etc), it too can have Mavericks
    * Google has its own software/services plus Android app store, it can have Chrome

Blackberry has... nobody and nothing, maybe a decent webkit browser and bbm, theres nothing else really thats cross platform worthy that would make it attractive as an OS.
    anon(5818411) likes this.
    03-30-14 08:51 AM
    Let's be honest here...

If Blackberry cannot make "software" e.g. Blackberry Link to run well on a desktop OS, how can we expect them to build an actual OS.

BB10 is struggling to garner any phone support from developers, it's highly unlikely it will get developer support for its OS version whether or not its an expanded version of BB10 on a bigger screen.

* Microsoft has its own proprietary software such Office plus big devs (like Adobe etc) + app store, it can have Windows 8
    * Apple has its own software and app store too plus big devs (like Adobe etc), it too can have Mavericks
    * Google has its own software/services plus Android app store, it can have Chrome

Blackberry has... nobody and nothing, maybe a decent webkit browser and bbm, theres nothing else really thats cross platform worthy that would make it attractive as an OS.
    On point, much better wording then mine haha
    03-30-14 09:05 AM
    So is it any laptop available in black berry...!
    04-07-14 02:39 AM