Apple can release an airborne super death virus and BGR would applaud them for doing it. "This virus is leaps and bounds above the rest...", "Apple has done it again I hope they never find a cure."

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    rrrebo likes this.
    06-21-11 02:34 PM
    Laws may need to be changed. That could be argued. But you cannot bring someone under charges for slander today because the laws are not applicable today, and you can't bring charges in advance. The case in question does not address a case being brought for slander against a corporation.
    The case addresses political lobbyists' influence on federal elections, whether intended as a lobbying activity or as happerstance, whether in film or some other media.
    Absolutely agree. Freedom of speech is one thing. BGR is, like every other blog, primarily an opinion blog, that happens to occasionally provide facts along with its opinions. They aren't professional market analysts, but sometimes they really try to talk like they are, and it's up to the reader to remember that BGR is making speculations based on observations and opinions. It's not always sunshine and roses, and it frequently means exactly 2 things, and Jack left town.

If corporations want to be treated like people when it comes to political contribution, maybe they should be vulnerable to slander, as well. Mostly, I think it means they should pay their freaking taxes like the rest of us citizens. CU v. FEC is a VERY interesting precedent...
    Last edited by rrrebo; 06-21-11 at 02:42 PM.
    06-21-11 02:36 PM
    Absolutely agree. If corporations want to be treated like people when it comes to political contribution, maybe they should be vulnerable to slander, as well. Mostly, I think it means they should pay their freaking taxes like the rest of us citizens. CU v. FEC is a VERY interesting precedent.
    It also gets even more murky, since RIM is a Canadian company, traded on the US NASDAQ, being criticized by a US-based blogger.
    rrrebo likes this.
    06-21-11 02:40 PM
    Ugh, you must be from here in the good ol USA where everyone wants to sue over someone hurting their feelings. Sometimes I think this country has gone completely insane.
    Hey, that lady sued McDonald's for having a hot cup of coffee between her legs..

06-21-11 04:45 PM
    I thing bgr should sue rim for prolonging their death.
    06-21-11 07:00 PM
    Dont be butthurt to much. Besides, RIMM kind of saw this coming upon themselves. I hope shareholders sue RIMM for their deceiving business practices.
    06-21-11 07:05 PM
    Ugh, you must be from here in the good ol USA where everyone wants to sue over someone hurting their feelings. Sometimes I think this country has gone completely insane.
    You should consider moving to a country you like where the people are not crazy. Where is that exactly?
    06-21-11 09:14 PM
    Alas, being a [French for shower] is not illegal. The best thing RIM can do is focus, crank out some killer superphones, and prove BGR wrong.

I, for one, welcome our new QNX overlords.
    Agreed. RIM putting out some hot devices would be their best "revenge". The PlayBook, albeit not finished at release has spurred a lot of interest. I get lots of questions about mine when out and about. Now RIM needs some sexy phones to match.

rrrebo likes this.
    06-21-11 09:51 PM
    A few things...

1. Slander doesn't apply here since it is the spoken form of defamation. If RIM were to sue, it would sue for libel, which encompasses written communication on the internet.

2. In the US a corporation can be a plaintiff in a defamation suit.

3. RIM would have no case whatsoever and would never consider doing what the OP suggested.
    06-21-11 09:55 PM
    You should consider moving to a country you like where the people are not crazy. Where is that exactly?
    Canada
    06-21-11 11:52 PM
    If rim sues, good. If they don't, they're ignoring the trolls (bgr) that are trolling them in every direction.

As always, what I say, don't feed trolls
    They'll starve from lack of attention.

06-22-11 01:25 AM
    Last I remember, BGR started their site based on their enthuziasm for Blackberry. Why would they want to slander them with false information? I don't know if its true or not, but I dont see a motivation for sabatage here. In fact, its just the opposite. I think articles like this provide an even greater wake up call to RIM, who seems to be getting it all wrong on a daily, monthly, quarterly, and even yearly basis as of late
    06-22-11 02:13 AM
    Last I remember, BGR started their site based on their enthuziasm for Blackberry. Why would they want to slander them with false information? I don't know if its true or not, but I dont see a motivation for sabatage here. In fact, its just the opposite. I think articles like this provide an even greater wake up call to RIM, who seems to be getting it all wrong on a daily, monthly, quarterly, and even yearly basis as of late
    I agree. I hope they get it right and soon.
    06-22-11 03:50 AM
    Want to hold BGR accountable?
    Don't visit his site.
    Don't post links here that lead to his site.
    Don't even mention BGR.

The only reason he continues with the National Enquirer style reporting, is because it generates traffic and traffic means sponsors.

I haven't been to BGR for months. There's nothing there that interests me.
    Couldn't agree more, you might want to let our fearless leader know your distain. You know he's doing a podcast with BGR, right???
    06-22-11 05:02 AM
    An island by yourself. LOL
    06-22-11 05:30 AM
    I'm pretty sure the latest "letters" by bgr might cause Geller some problems.....

07-01-11 10:31 AM
    Seems to me that suing BGR at this point would only make RIM's PR headache worse and even more media-frenzy-worthy.

If suing is even a legal option for RIM (which I don't really think it would be), I would think they would want to wait until after they've turned things around have regained some positive momentum in the smarthphone world (who knows when that might be, but hopefully sooner than later).
    howarmat likes this.
    07-01-11 11:25 AM
    The letters are real, they cant do a damn thing but take what the letters said and turn things around so the next letters released are of how the company than many people people felt disheartened to work for now wouldnt want to ever leave for anywhere else as the company has truly turned around
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-01-11 11:28 AM
    I am surprised that you can be so sure about all the letters being real, with the first one the person would have a more direct route to make these points anyway and the second ones are just generic office whinging that could be from most companies.
    Witmen likes this.
    07-02-11 07:18 AM
    honestly any blackberry loyalist should be praising BGR, whether you like it or RIM is in a very DIRE situation, and like it or not, the content of those letters is real, even if they were written by people not inside of RIM.

BGR is simply expressing that change needs to happen, and if you want RIM to continue i don't see how you can say anything different because the status quo is sinking fast, years of their customers not speaking up is precisely why they're in this situation, so sitting back and hoping and wanting to censor anyone saying bad things about RIM is a pretty sad state of affairs and quite frankly pathetic. arguing the validity of this situation either means:
    1. you haven't been paying attention to anything
    2. you haven't been paying attention to anything
    3. you think RIM can succeed on the current path they're on

fists in the air screaming we support you doesn't help RIM, at all, it's been going on for years.
    Last edited by katiepea; 07-02-11 at 02:55 PM.
    07-02-11 02:51 PM
    Isn't it sad that in day and age when Rim, a company with no debt and billions in cash that ships 13million devices in a quarter is considered a failure and the heads of the co CEOs are demanded on a plate?

Is this where consumerism has taken us? When millions in profit is not enough?

Make no mistake, investors and shareholders don't care what devices Rim sells you, they care how much profit they can make of you.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    07-02-11 03:00 PM
    nobody is debating that they're still making money, and yes it's all about money, but investors can clearly see that they haven't put new phones out, and profit is dropping SHARPLY relative to other quarters, investors don't care about how much RIM made last year, they care about whether or not their ecosystem is sustainable, if they don't think it is, they leave. that's how the game works, and there aren't too many people that envision it succeeding as it is right now. millions of profit is great, but if you as an investor hang around until your investment reaches 0, do the millions matter?
    07-02-11 03:04 PM
    I hope that by page 4 someone has realized that suing a media company to reveal its source is probably gonna fail. One thing is for sure RIM is dead centre on the radar screen....and they won't be until they shape up and talk about what they are doing. They probably knew it was going to be a shaky ride which is why they adopted the co-CEO/Chairman structure to protect themselves. The heat is turned all the way up. Go RIM!
    07-02-11 03:17 PM
    nobody is debating that they're still making money, and yes it's all about money, but investors can clearly see that they haven't put new phones out, and profit is dropping SHARPLY relative to other quarters, investors don't care about how much RIM made last year, they care about whether or not their ecosystem is sustainable, if they don't think it is, they leave. that's how the game works, and there aren't too many people that envision it succeeding as it is right now. millions of profit is great, but if you as an investor hang around until your investment reaches 0, do the millions matter?

If anything we should be happy, this has driven BB prices down.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    07-02-11 03:26 PM
    People that are quoting sales and figures from the past are not seeing the business side of it. Look I am no genius by any means, just a manager of a retail store. THis is July 4th weekend ( a busy shopping holiday) if I were to look this weekend on June 30 and say Ok what are we going to do this weekend...its too late. I am already thinking about first full weekend in August (tax free weekend) and to some extent the Black Friday weekend in November.

You have got to look ahead and RIM has shown that they are not looking ahead. THey have not put out 1 new phone this year...NOT 1!!! Thats nuts.

What they run into now is when they do release a new phone or deivce they run into the Apple machine that puts out a conference every 3-4 months. So if RIM makes an event in say October well in September Apple has the Ipod/Iphone 4(s)-5 event so that is that the tech world is talking about. RIM needs to do something to make a splash.

THey dont even know how to release a brand new exciting product like the PB. Lets be honest how many non-tech people would have know the release date or even if the PB existed back in April? Think if RIM had kept a lid on the PB until BB World! They could have had it there, had working demos and really shocked the BB/tech world. And then imagine if they had said..and its shipping today and will be in retail outlets next week!!!! The tech world would have went nuts.

The future is dim for RIM but they can dig out of it...its just a long way to go with Apple and Android leading the pack.
    07-03-11 09:39 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD