I honestly think RIM should sue BGR.
    Ok other sites are giving their opinions about Rim but with bgr it is just pure slander to hurt Rim and knock down the stock value.
    I doubt there sources are even real people .
    Bgr equals lies ,lies and more lies .
    Rim sue for slander and stand up for youselves

Bgr is pure slander.

Who agrees!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    thecoach1999 likes this.
    06-21-11 05:28 AM
    Hard to sue when they are telling the truth. If RIM could prove they were lies, I'm sure they would have already.
    FigureThisOut and K Bear like this.
    06-21-11 05:45 AM
    Ugh, you must be from here in the good ol USA where everyone wants to sue over someone hurting their feelings. Sometimes I think this country has gone completely insane.
    06-21-11 05:48 AM
    Although I'm not a BGR fan, what they're writing does not rise to the legal definition of slander. And there is that pesky little freedom of speech issue.
    Wish they'd shut up, but they'll be spewing their trashy National Enquirer type of "journalism" for the forseeable future.
    06-21-11 05:51 AM
    Can't sue media unless they present misinformation as fact. Anything else it's speculation, it's the nature of the beast.

06-21-11 05:54 AM
    But that's not slander. A corporation cannot sue for slander because it doesn't have a character subject to defamation. If BGR made fraudulent allegations about people within RIM that would cause them harm to the point that their character is questioned, then charges of slander can be brought. As it is, no.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-21-11 06:00 AM
    Ok other sites are giving their opinions about Rim but with bgr it is just pure slander to hurt Rim and knock down the stock value.

Bgr is pure slander.

Who agrees!!!

I don't. No slander, no provable damage. No case.

Besides RIM is busy enough defending itself to bring any case against anyone right now.

Tim
    06-21-11 08:07 AM
    Alas, being a [French for shower] is not illegal. The best thing RIM can do is focus, crank out some killer superphones, and prove BGR wrong.

I, for one, welcome our new QNX overlords.
    ad19 likes this.
    06-21-11 09:41 AM
    Although I'm not a BGR fan, what they're writing does not rise to the legal definition of slander. And there is that pesky little freedom of speech issue.
    The freedom of speech protects individuals from government limitations on speech, not civil suits by corporations alleging slander.
    brucep1 and Laura Knotek like this.
    06-21-11 11:06 AM
    Can't sue media unless they present misinformation as fact. Anything else it's speculation, it's the nature of the beast.
    Actually this isn't accurate. It's not enough to prove that BGR published misinformation; RIM would also have to prove that the publication was malicious, meaning 1) BGR knew the information was false and published anyway, or 2) that BGR showed a "reckless disregard for the truth." Neither is easily proven.
    06-21-11 11:14 AM
    Actually this isn't accurate. It's not enough to prove that BGR published misinformation; RIM would also have to prove that the publication was malicious, meaning 1) BGR knew the information was false and published anyway, or 2) that BGR showed a "reckless disregard for the truth." Neither is easily proven.
    If a publication posts this "Rim is evil" they can be in trouble but all they have to do is ad "possible" or simply a question mark at the end and they can post whatever they like.

06-21-11 11:18 AM
    If a publication posts this "Rim is evil" they can be in trouble but all they have to do is ad "possible" or simply a question mark at the end and they can post whatever they like.

"RIM is evil" would be considered an opinion, not a statement of fact.
    06-21-11 11:47 AM
    I agree 100% bgr should be held accountable for what they spew!

06-21-11 11:52 AM
    Wish they'd shut up, but they'll be spewing their trashy National Enquirer type of "journalism" for the forseeable future.
    Uh, the freedom of speech does not apply in this case.
    06-21-11 12:04 PM
    Just curious OP what have they printed that are lies?
    06-21-11 12:30 PM
    But that's not slander. A corporation cannot sue for slander because it doesn't have a character subject to defamation. If BGR made fraudulent allegations about people within RIM that would cause them harm to the point that their character is questioned, then charges of slander can be brought. As it is, no.
    Both of your comments are true.

Also, just poking fun at the shortcomings of RIM's co-ceo's statements and behavior during interviews is not considered slander.

Look how many politicians Saturday Night Live, Jay Leno, David Letterman, and even Johnny Carson made fun of in the past. Business leaders are fair game to criticize or poke fun at, just like politicians.

How about Steve Ballmer and Steve Jobs? Plenty of satire and poking fun has been directed at them.
    Last edited by lak611; 06-21-11 at 12:35 PM.
    06-21-11 12:32 PM
    Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission basically maintains that corporations are people, too. Seems like maybe the slander/libel laws need to be changed, now, too.
    06-21-11 01:05 PM
    They can't. But even if they did, it would just add to the already awful PR issues they are having. They already look like spoiled, petty brats (refer to the Lazardis/BBC interview.) Their image is pretty tarnished.

They need to play it cool
    Last edited by RollingRock1988; 06-21-11 at 01:19 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-21-11 01:07 PM

Bgr is pure slander.

Who agrees!!!

You make it sound like yellow journalism.

Why does it offend you so much?
    06-21-11 01:12 PM
    I agree 100% bgr should be held accountable for what they spew!

Want to hold BGR accountable?
    Don't visit his site.
    Don't post links here that lead to his site.
    Don't even mention BGR.

The only reason he continues with the National Enquirer style reporting, is because it generates traffic and traffic means sponsors.

I haven't been to BGR for months. There's nothing there that interests me.
    06-21-11 01:15 PM
    Just stop going there. Boycott them. Most of the stories are already on Engadget and the important ones about RIM are shown on Crackberry at some point. They get money on hits, so stop giving them hits, and they don't get that revenue. Don't post links to BGR articles here either. Based on the comments I've seen over there on the RIM bashing articles, there are a bunch of Android and Apple fans that love seeing bad things about RIM so maybe he's found a new, more rabid base that he can incite with sensational anti-RIM rhetoric and increase his hit counts.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    06-21-11 01:29 PM

Bgr is pure slander.

Who agrees!!!

I agree, but this just in from CBC news. Microsoft, Google and HP. are discussing interested in buying up RIM in pieces. I just can't take these american companies controlling RIM to a crash landing. Canada bails out trash american companies, but let's Canadian companies die. I was a 100% supporter of Blackberry, but that will soon change. when these garbage american take over. But I still hold out hope. A SAD DAY INDEED!

06-21-11 01:29 PM
    Does anyone really think that BGR is (partially at least) the reason for RIM's stock?

I bet you that a big percentage (~ 90%) of all BGR readers are not even old enough to open an investment account, let alone sell enough shares to cause the stock to drop 80%.
    Laura Knotek and K Bear like this.
    06-21-11 02:04 PM
    The freedom of speech protects individuals from government limitations on speech, not civil suits by corporations alleging slander.
    To be honest, I can't stand how people take the "freedom of speech" and run with it. They really think it means they can say whatever they want and there won't be consequences.

But anyway, can't sue BGR if they are actually getting it from sources and its true.
    06-21-11 02:11 PM
    Just stop going there. Boycott them. Most of the stories are already on Engadget and the important ones about RIM are shown on Crackberry at some point. They get money on hits, so stop giving them hits, and they don't get that revenue. Don't post links to BGR articles here either. Based on the comments I've seen over there on the RIM bashing articles, there are a bunch of Android and Apple fans that love seeing bad things about RIM so maybe he's found a new, more rabid base that he can incite with sensational anti-RIM rhetoric and increase his hit counts.
    couldn't have put it better myself.

06-21-11 02:28 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD