I'll try to make a long story short here...

Currently I live with 2 guys in a house in Jackson MS. Our lease is up at the end of next month and both roommates are moving out (1 in with his woman and the other to live by himself).

Now I'm pretty patehtic and have NO friends or any other potential roommates. So here's where I need some input.

Option 1: I can literally only afford one apt in a decent area of Jackson which is still not a very good neighborhood. I'm not too worried about crime but I still don't want be robbed. If I do move in here, I'd have to get rid of a lot of my stuff (washer/dryer, furniture including a sweet patio set, gazebo, kitchen accessories) which I really want to avoid if at all possible. Really the only thing keeping me here in Jackson is a very small group of friends and a job that I hate with every fiber of my being (that has good benefits).

Option 2: Find a roommate thru classifieds... don't bother, it will never happen. Just putting that in here so no one suggests it.

Option 3: Move to Natchez MS where my parents live. I'd move in with them temporarily until finding a job and a place to live which is not that hard to do in Natchez. I've always had a great relationship with my parents but living with them would drive me crazy so that would end quickly. I love the town of Natchez, I know a lot of people there already because of my parents and if I end up there, I can potentially keep all the stuff I would lose moving into that tiny apt in Jackson. Also I would obviously be close to my parents which is a plus.

I'm honestly torn here and would like to hear what you would do in my position. I'm leaning more towards moving to Natchez at the moment but every day it changes. I like living in Jackson but like I said, there's really nothing left for me here. So guide me fellow CBers.

Nick
    04-19-10 11:31 AM
    Go with option 3...yes your parents will drive you nutty, but you need to look at all the positives that will come along with it. You'll be able to find a job(hopefully one you won't hate as much), keep all of your stuff and be close to the rents.

Personally I found my roommate on craigslist and everything worked out great.
    04-19-10 11:35 AM
    Thanks Amber.

I'm not too worried about a job for now, my mom always needs help with her business and she would pay me a fair wage until I found something else.

Plus Natchez is a helluva lot of fun. Everybody drinks all day long which is awesome for me. Not that I want to be drunk all day, every day but if I want to wind down by having a drink with lunch while I'm working, there is absolutely no way that would fly in Jackson. Nobody judges you for being who you are in Natchez, everyone is accepted.

And of course getting to see my parents every day. Of all the things I miss from high school it's being able to talk to my parents face to face on a regular basis.
    04-19-10 11:59 AM
    Sounds like you're the most positive about Natchez. The fact that your parents would drive you nuts would just be good incentive to get your own place there in Natchez even quicker. Home is where the heart is kind of a thing I guess.
    04-19-10 12:01 PM
    Sounds like 3 is your best bet Nick!

Good luck Mister!
    04-19-10 12:02 PM
    Why, pray tell, would you want to continue with a job you hate and choose to live with a "Please Shoot Me" sign on your head?

Remember, when one door closes, another or more opens. But you have to walk through it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-10 12:23 PM
    Why, pray tell, would you want to continue with a job you hate and choose to live with a "Please Shoot Me" sign on your head?

Remember, when one door closes, another or more opens. But you have to walk through it.
    Yep! Just takes a little bit of gumption to commit to it.
    04-19-10 12:24 PM
    Well Natchez is probably my best choice, I guess that's why I'm most positive about that option. I really do like Jackson but I think the main reason I want to stay here is because I'm afraid of change. I've been living in the same house for 2 years with 2 guys I'm very familiar with (one guy I've been living with for 4 years) and I just don't want things to change. Moving always really stresses me out, especially the decisions involved before the physical move.

I'm also lazy and complacent here in Jackson but I really think it's time for a big change in my life. I'm a pothead alcholic chain smoker who works a dead end job for a paycheck I waste on more booze, bud and cigarettes. That would stop if I were in Natchez, my mom wouldn't have it. H3ll, maybe I'd even start working out and lose a little weight.

I guess I'm just trying to convince myself (after proofreading this post amd the rest of the thread) that Natchez is my best bet...
    04-19-10 12:41 PM
    GO for it Nick! A big change like that will be good for you! Yes you will get stressed with the move, but think about all the good that will come after it.
    04-19-10 12:45 PM
    It's better to be safe than sorry especially in this economy.

I'd keep my job, with benefits and struggle for a while until I have a decent sized "money-egg" in the bank.

Then, move home for a while, only if your certain of financial independence relatively soon, and can survive off of that egg when you move out.

Do you have money saved already?
    04-19-10 12:49 PM
    Much as it pains you move in with the folks, stay with them for a while, 6 months to a year. Save up your money, plus borrow money from them, and then buy a house! Stop paying someone else's mortgage.
    04-19-10 01:11 PM
    sounds like you already know what to do. now man up dammit!!!!
    04-19-10 01:14 PM
    It's better to be safe than sorry especially in this economy.

I'd keep my job, with benefits and struggle for a while until I have a decent sized "money-egg" in the bank.

Then, move home for a while, only if your certain of financial independence relatively soon, and can survive off of that egg when you move out.

Do you have money saved already?
    No and the problem with this is my employer doesn't pay me enough to actually save anything substantial. I've got a little saved up because of my tax return but it's not enough for any real emergency.
    04-19-10 01:25 PM
    *voice of Johnny 5* More input!
    04-19-10 02:57 PM
    *voice of Johnny 5* More input!
    "No Stephanie! No disassemble!"
    04-19-10 03:25 PM
    Ah what a great movie.
    04-19-10 03:38 PM
    Go for the move. Life is short and it doesn't seem like anything will happen worth anything were you are at. Nothing is permanent and you can always move back to your dead end job and your abuse of your body. Your parents know you better than anyone and if their encouragement helps you be a better person, that is a win-win. If you get the opportunity to safe some $, the future is open to whatever you choose.
    04-19-10 09:50 PM
    Me, I would move to the rinky-dink of the 1 bedroom apartment just to be able to have my freedom, not to mention I would never burden my rents with myself, even if I was paying rent there, helping out or whatever it took.

I love my parents with all my being as they do as well and they would welcome me with open arms, but I know I would fall in a vicious circle of being comfortable there and time would pass by and be like crap, how long I been here?

I just rather be on my own. Remember those things you like to do that your parents might not like you doing in their home. Or what about having a lady friend over or a party or this and that?

Keep your job, look else where for another one and enjoy your life as an adult who can do as he pleases.

I know I am agaist the masses and seems most know you pretty well here to where I don't, so just my 2 cents.

Also not trying to come off as a ***** and if so, sorry about that....just my honest opinion and something I would do if it was me in your shoes.

I was close last week as me and the wife have had our problems...and spent 1 night at home. I quickly apologized to my wife, lol!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-10 05:08 AM
    Thanks paddy and Max.

Max I feel you buddy. Today is one of those days I want to stay here in Jackson. I love my parents and they wouldn't be over-bearing (as soon as I got out of their house which would be QUICK) but I still don't know if I can handle living in a small town with them again. Before they moved to Natchez, my family and I lived in a (formerly) small town called Madison. I lived about 3 miles from my parents at that time and it seemed like I saw them every day. But I had just come back from a year at school, the first year I'd ever spent away from my family so I was somewhat rebellious and probably exagerrating.

This is why I asked for everyone's opinions, I change my mind every day. Yesterday I was certain I wanted to go to Natchez but today, I want to stay in Jackson. I still don't have a good reason to stay but I want to. I've been living in this general area my whole life, I know every back road, every hole in the wall restaurant, I know every neighborhood I need to stay out of, every crazy hobo I need to avoid. Jackson is my hometown.
    04-20-10 09:04 AM
    So, have you made a final decision?
    04-22-10 08:36 AM
    I am curious too...
    04-22-10 08:58 AM
    I'm still undecided.

The main factor has kind of become my job. It is a relatively secure position (at least until I **** up. Thank God they don't monitor my internet usage) with decent pay and benefits... but I HATE it. I hate customer service of any kind but this is by far the worst job I've ever had. I really don't know how much more I can stand.

So I may be living in Natchez. If I had to make a decision on the spot, that's what it would be. I've given myself a deadline of this Saturday to decide...
    04-22-10 09:54 AM
    Please tell me a funny story!
    04-22-10 10:03 AM
    What, from work?
    04-22-10 10:07 AM
    I'm gonna draw on personal experience here to try to help you out. Please don't take it the wrong way.

So I grew up in Hamilton. (moved around it 3 times, but always in the same city, just different suburbs) It's a city of about 700,000. There's not a LOT to do here, especially before turning 19. Lots of bars, a club district, but mostly theatres, few holes in the wall, couple sight-seeing places, etc. So as soon as I was out of high school, I could not wait to get the h*ll out and away from my parents, so I moved to Toronto with my girlfriend.

To those that don't know, Toronto has something along the lines of 2.3 million people in the city, and about 1.5 of that is in the downtown area. (where we lived) It was hard to leave the city I grew up in and knew everything about (like Jackson for you, I know every hole in the wall, every sidestreet, etc), but the experience of living somewhere new brings with it the experience of learnings new things about the place.

Anyways, money started to disappear quickly, and after a year we were forced to move back to Hamilton. At 20 years old, that sucked. But still, I'm doing it, working a new much better job, putting a little money here and there away, and all the while actually learning new things about my old city as well. I love Hamilton, it's where my heart is, but I fell in love with the life that Toronto had. The multiple districts, the cafes, the sights..all of it. Even the sounds. So I keep squirelling away my money in the hopes that someday soon I'll be able to go back.

I guess the moral of my story is, even though it might suck, moving back in with your parents might not be all bad, and you might learn some new things and relieve some of the stresses of your life now. Sounds to me like your ready to make some changes anyways. Just my 2 cents.
    04-22-10 10:16 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD