For the last two days I have been using an iPhone. I am sorry to the community and all those I have hurt in the process of dabbling in the world of Non-Customizable, Non-typeable, sweet little packages of Much Fluff, Little Substance.

It took less than 8 hours (six of them spent sleeping) for me to begin to detest the eyeFone. I really wanted to like the little sucker, because so many people rave about it. Watching YouTube on that big screen is cool, but really, the novelty wears off pretty quickly. Did anyone tell you there's only one button on the thing? OK maybe two, but only one that does anything worthwhile.

After putting up with it for just over two days and seeing exactly how Steve Jobs has suckered people into a media-marketing single-upgrade path channel (via iTunes-only, etc), I just couldn't stand being away from my QWERTY any longer.

And have you tried to type on the d@mn thing? If people tell you it gets better, and they will, they're lying to cover up a $4-500 mistake.

The lowdown: want (and have time for) only entertainment? Buy an iPhone. Want a serious communication tool? Stay Black (Berry).

They infringe on each others' territory, but don't think for a minute that the iPhone can keep you in touch with people the way a 'berry can.

Two days (and ~250MB of data) wiser,
    Eric; submitted from my Curve - one of them, anyway

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-08 06:28 AM
    I still can't drive myself to pick one up. I have never owned an Ipod due to the multi-faceted keep in the family means of data exchange.

Kudos for attempting to make an unbiased run at utilizing another piece of equipment!
    04-24-08 06:42 AM
    My wife had to have one & for someone who is media driven and doesn't really need the advanced communication or organizational tools, it's fine for her.

As for me bb & bb only. Can't go back once I got one.

04-24-08 07:40 AM
    My 15 year old Daughter has one. Cost a $90 repair because she dropped it 6 inches. I have dropped my 3 feet on concrete several times, the paint is a little ruff but it still works.
    04-24-08 07:49 AM
    Overall I think it is a fun phone but not for texting/emailing.
    04-24-08 07:59 AM
    I got to play with an IPhone for a minute when they came out, because I have wealthy, silly friends...
    I also owned,(before my awesome Black Pearl), the Motorola ROKR, which was, I believe, the first phone to integrate ITunes with cellphone technology.
    The IPhone is basically the Motorola ROKR but more advanced and put together by Apple themselves after they realized the market was there.
    Don't even get me started on how much I always HATED ITunes in the first place...
    While flashy and interesting at first...the IPhone becomes a droll and worthless,(but expensive), piece of equipment...unless you sit around watching videos on your phone all day.
    Maybe you do...and in that case, feel free to spend tons of money on one of these and hope to God you never drop it or scratch that huge screen...
    If you use your phone as a umm...PHONE...you know, for communication between you and the outside world, as well as maybe an occasional entertainment tool and know how to umm...READ...you might want a Blackberry.
    Not only are Blackberries incomparable as far as texting, emails, etc. are concerned, they have a pretty awesome media player, and if you really wanna watch videos, there are ways. And I can upload my music without having stupid ITunes...
    Yep...now that I've seen the light...I'll be a Blackberry user for life...
    04-24-08 08:12 AM
    I've had both and will have both again when the iPhone 2.0 comes out.

The phone is awesome and typing does get better. I have big fingers and I can tell you that is the truth. Most people are scared to leave mistakes, for example... If I start typing "eomen" it will automatically bring up and change it to "women" I for two-three weeks kept on deleting to input it myself until I was almost fed up and kept going and it worked!

One thing that I can't believe that RIM doesn't have on their devices is the ability to go into all you personal folders on different email accounts. On my iPhone, I used two primary emails. The first for personal things like purchases, son's pics and subscriptions and had folders for each. The second was for selling/buying with folders also. I could go into the personal folders on each account even though they weren't in my inbox.

Browser is the best.

To me, if the iPhone isn't for you, it isn't for you. Take it from me, I had thought it wasn't going to be for me either, but I gave it a chance.

Same happened to my friend in the military. He actually borrowed a another friend's iPhone and start telling me that's the worst device in the world, he couldn't type on it and would never buy one personally. Today, two weeks later, Lol, he is now a proud owner of a 16gb in which he can't stop talking about. He calls me everyday to talk about it.

I sold mine and preparation for the 3g. At that point, I will put my Curve on my business line. I have to have the best of both worlds!
    04-24-08 08:35 AM
    I own both and when the 3g version comes out I will own both again.

Same here; I was willing (and really trying) to like the iPhone. I was honestly surprised by its lack of functionality and features. I still own the sucker, and my wife is going to give it a shot. If she likes it, great. More power to her, she can have it. If she wants her Curve back on her line, I will probably give the iPhone another try.

Two things I love about it: pocketability on par with the Pearl (I'm a Curve guy), and the IMAP syncronization with email. The typing is the serious achilles heel, along with the lack of functionality.

What it does, it does well; if you don't know more capabilities exist (a la BB or even somw WM smartphones) then ignorance can be bliss. What it doesn't do, is inexcusable in a $500 piece of hardware. I was thoroughly surprised that some honestly try to put it in the same category as a BB. They are so different there is almost no comparison possible. It's much more of a contrasting exercise.

-Eric

04-24-08 09:14 AM
    a guy at my job has an iPhone and i have to say besides the large screen, threaded SMS and i'll admit advanced browser, i wasn't all too impressed. the i phone is nice looking but i found it too heavy, un pocketable which can be important for girl who wear tight jeans and such. but i do agree with the posters who say that each phone is built for different markets. iPhone is more media oriented like everything apple makes. BB is more of a business phone because of its superior messaging capability and connectivity, however RIM developers were intelligent enough to realize they need to branch out and reach a more mainstream market, and as a Pearl owner, i feel they have done this very well. And because they are more versatile, they are better imo!

to the threadstarter don't feel too bad about your little affair, you can try others, but you will always come back to your BLACKBERRY!!!
    04-24-08 09:22 AM
    Thank you for the forgiveness. Two weeks ago it was a BlackJack II. She wasn't the cutest, but when I put on a screen protector she didn't look _too_ bad.
    Came back to the Curves, tho. Still have the BJ sitting on my desk at home. Anyone want it? I'm about ready to give it away.

Eric

04-24-08 12:20 PM
    Typing on the iPhone is a nightmare! I had one before my Curve & it was definitely fun.. but that wore off quickly once I tried to get any work done!
    04-24-08 10:40 PM
    ah i was actually planning on getting the iphone after like a month of my bb curve but then i cant take my hands off my curve my parents keep telling me arent u gonna get the iphone im like na its coo they say my phone us ugly. watever cb.com and bbm and everything else about the phone is super tight and the iphone does look helllla nice i dont think it can compare to a bb curve
    04-25-08 09:33 AM
    The real way to enjoy an iphone is by jailbreaking and unlocking it. By doing this, you circumvent the itunes requirement and have access to literally hundreds of 3rd party apps. That's where its at if ya wanna really experience the iphone.....after saying all of that, I wouldn't give up my BB8830 for an iphone.

04-25-08 09:42 AM
    Last night I found the whole jailbreak concept online. I was pretty fascinated, and may check it out. Seems I spoke too soon on the matter of flexability. We'll see what happens.

04-25-08 11:58 PM
    As much fun a jailbroken/unlocked/activated iPhone IS, that also wears off.

Its a toy, no matter what the iPhone dev team does. And their PWNED tool proves it, no matter what.

I dont have to hack the everliving H E C K out of my phone to add MMS to it, already there. lol
    04-26-08 12:26 AM
    i love the hatred for the iphone on this forum, i really do.
    theres been some great counter points made in favor of the iphone.
    jailbreak that puppy and you open another facet to it.

and no bb can compare to the web/media display of the iphone.. period. and to some thats of greater importance. i've posted many nights on this and other forums using my itouch while laying in bed and the wifes asleep.

push email on the bb is awesome.. but its not like its a huge task to log into a web based email front end and check your mail.
    media playback is almost a joke on a bb compared to the display of the iphone/touch. but this is a business oriented device brought to a consumer market so its no wonder.

having only two buttons on the itouch/phone... did you notice you can touch all the icons on the screen to do stuff with?
    and how many iphone themes are out there? how many of us use one (i do for one) on our blackberry?
    i love my pearl, i do, and I've stated it many times. but i love the itouch i own equally. i've played with my bosses iphone at work, and its not that bad for what it does. and once jail broken it becomes even cooler.
    just because someone doesn't like it for whatever reason, doesn't mean its a pos. it just means its not for that person, and thankfully theres a good enough market that we can choose the devices we like the most.

and obviously the touch screens are a big hit, otherwise RIM wouldn't be working on one now.

i'm probably gonna get flamed for my comments, but so be it. the iphone doesnt suck, the bb doesnt suck, their just made for two different types of users.

cheers
    04-26-08 01:52 AM
    I agree with you SexyLadyMD.

Ohhhhhhhh Yes.
    04-26-08 11:03 AM
    I will admit I never owned an Iphone but did use one for a day. The battery didn't last but two hours and after I charged it, it only lasted 2 more hours. I was a wreck without my BB. I am sold on one phone and only one phone.
    04-26-08 11:10 AM
    i think the iphone is pretty... sometimes.

i just couldn't bring myself to even like it.
    04-26-08 03:20 PM
    Round 2:
    Well after much more time and experimentation, the latest and greatest iPhone is going back to the store. I tried to like it, I really did. I appreciate the fun little things it can do, and the valiant efforts put together by the souls pouring their life energies into hacking, unlocking, jailbreaking, refusing to use iTunes, etc, etc.
    I've got the best Apple has to offer, sixteen gigs of brushed-aluminum, glass, and plastic. What I don't have is love. I've gotten better at typing and can use the keyboard very well at this point. However there is no love. When it's sitting next to me I'm not really even wanting it to vibrate or chime.
    The icing on the cake was walking through the mall here in SoCal and seeing people on their iPhones. Not was there no love, I didnt even feel a sense of like. I don't despise the phone anymore, but I am totally emotionless towards it. That might even be worse.
    The only berry I claim at the moment is a little crimson 8100 Pearl; the other three in my posession are heading to new homes. I look at the Pearl on my desk and feel love for it like for my little sister (well not quite, but you get my drift). It's so incomplete without a SIM card in it, while the iPhone will lumber along being an iPod regardless of connectivity.
    For the moment I'm going to saddle up and rude that little Pearl until the Next Best Thing comes along. May be an iPhone, may be a BB, may just remain the 8100 for now. Dunno. But I do know one thing: this is my last post from this generation of iPhones.
    So long Steve Jobs, see ya on the flip side of 3g; I hope you engender some love then. You've got a good start, keep forcing RIM to innovate and improve. Let's hear it for capitalism!

Sincerely,
    a concerned citizen

04-30-08 11:07 AM
    I have an iPhone and got the wife an iPod touch. What can i say I love technology. They are just novelties though, the iPhone sits back in the box waiting for me to have the time to list it on ebay. The wife uses the touch sometimes, but we love our berries and cant live without them.
    04-30-08 11:15 AM
    Jorgeed- well said. And the typos in my post were due to the iCorrection. Not that this SureType is a whole lot better, but at least now the tagline at the bottom of the post isn't a lie.
    Oh, and even tho it's not true qwerty, it's a helluva lot faster than that other smartphone.

From the Berry,
    E

04-30-08 11:49 AM
    OK, just got a crack at work about me "texting my wife" on the Pearl. I was using the calculator. It's gotta be the fact that it looks like a regular cell phone. No respect, I tell ya.

Back to a Curve or 88xx.

-Eric

PS. Anyone want a Pearl?
    Last edited by eakeller; 04-30-08 at 01:53 PM.
    04-30-08 01:50 PM
    And it's $500. Not easy coinage to drop on something you don't absolutely love. Maybe someday I'll learn to be content.

04-30-08 02:08 PM
    For the last two days I have been using an iPhone. I am sorry to the community and all those I have hurt in the process of dabbling in the world of Non-Customizable, Non-typeable, sweet little packages of Much Fluff, Little Substance.

It took less than 8 hours (six of them spent sleeping) for me to begin to detest the eyeFone. I really wanted to like the little sucker, because so many people rave about it. Watching YouTube on that big screen is cool, but really, the novelty wears off pretty quickly. Did anyone tell you there's only one button on the thing? OK maybe two, but only one that does anything worthwhile.

After putting up with it for just over two days and seeing exactly how Steve Jobs has suckered people into a media-marketing single-upgrade path channel (via iTunes-only, etc), I just couldn't stand being away from my QWERTY any longer.

And have you tried to type on the d@mn thing? If people tell you it gets better, and they will, they're lying to cover up a $4-500 mistake.

The lowdown: want (and have time for) only entertainment? Buy an iPhone. Want a serious communication tool? Stay Black (Berry).

They infringe on each others' territory, but don't think for a minute that the iPhone can keep you in touch with people the way a 'berry can.

Two days (and ~250MB of data) wiser,
    Eric; submitted from my Curve - one of them, anyway

Dont sweat it everyone has a moment of weakness then we addicts call a moment of clarity.
    04-30-08 02:14 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD