So, in another thread we had a debate started about how humane hunting is versus other forms of meat that are farm raised and slaughtered. Let's continue that here.

The premise of the debate seemed to be hunting is wrong because sportsmen/women do it, but farm animals being slaughtered to be eaten are just fine.

My belief is that hunting is more humane than farm raised animals, because of the conditions farm raised animals are exposed to, be it how they're stored, fed, given hormones, and they're bred and raised for the exclusive purpose of being turned into food. The game animals people hunt have a far greater chance at survival than the farm raised animals who have ~0% survival rate...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-10 12:46 PM
    There are very different methods for Farm Raised animals, Grass fed free range, vs Corn Fed Free range beef is a big debate over taste, and they don't get subjected to inhumane conditions with the exception of getting a big smack to the head.

But Mmmmmm Bear meat from the deep north is sooo good
    04-02-10 12:49 PM
    That's not what I meant at all. I eat meat, as do alot of others. But how many of us would take the animals life ourselves? Like I said, there's a big difference between eating, and murdering the animal yourself(IMO).
    04-02-10 12:50 PM
    Ya the guy (or girl ehehe truble) who Kills it knows where the meat has been after it died, and can control the cleanliness of the processing
    04-02-10 12:52 PM
    That's not what I meant at all. I eat meat, as do alot of others. But how many of us would take the animals life ourselves? Like I said, there's a big difference between eating, and murdering the animal yourself(IMO).
    I'm sorry, but you are eating an animal someone else "murdered" for you, if you feel killing animals = murdering animals. You're just deferring the killing from yourself to someone else. Functionally, it is no different what so ever. That cow, deer, etc has still been killed for your benefit whether you did it or someone else did it.

I guess to me, this idea that you'll eat it but only if someone else kills it for you makes you a bit of a hypocrite, if you believe killing animals is wrong...

Last edited by the_sandman_454; 04-02-10 at 12:58 PM.
    Where do I begin? First off, I've been hunting since I was 10 years old. I've always had a passion for it. It is really the only thing I've ever been passionate about my entire life.

I have a respect for the sport. I don't play around with my guns. I don't poach. I follow all laws. Every animal I kill, I eat. Or I give the meat to someone who wants it.

I'm also a registered Maine hunting guide and I have been for the past 2 years.

In regards to the hunting debate, if you are against hunting, that is fine. I will respect your opinion. However, if you wanna start calling me a murder or any other rude name, then I'm going to come back at you. If you do not respect me, I will not respect you.
    Tell me what the difference is. Also, how is it considered murdering? I HUMANELY kill an animal. I don't trap or snare animals. I don't put them through pain and suffering. 90% of the time when I've shot an animal, it was dead instantly. Occasionally, they need another shot. I don't prolong their suffering.
    04-02-10 12:54 PM
    Ya the guy (or girl ehehe truble) who Kills it knows where the meat has been after it died, and can control the cleanliness of the processing
    This is also true whether a slaughterhouse does the killing/processing or whether a hunter does the killing/processing...

04-02-10 12:55 PM
    I'm also a registered Maine hunting guide and I have been for the past 2 years.

Where do I sign up to go out in the woods with you for a week?
    04-02-10 12:56 PM
    Where do I sign up to go out in the woods with you for a week?
    Get a Maine hunting license and send me a check! Haha.
    04-02-10 12:57 PM
    Get a Maine hunting license and send me a check! Haha.
    Hmmmm very tempting

How is data signals in Northern Maine?
    04-02-10 12:59 PM
    Can I hunt with a handgun in Maine? I've got a new Ruger super Redhawk in .454casull I wanna try out... Are out of state licenses expensive?

04-02-10 12:59 PM
    I don't live in Northern Maine. I'm about 20 miles from the most eastern point in the US.

I get terrible cell service. Haha.
    04-02-10 01:00 PM
    I wasn't being rude... I said plenty of times that that's how I am. I call it murdering animals because that's what it is. Kill, murder, slaughter... Yes, I eat meat... But I'm not able to look at a living animal, and then kill it. Sorry! I know I'm not the only one...

Personally, I like snowboarding. I loved hiking the mountains in Alberta and seeing the wildlife. The last thing that could have gone through my mind is "Where is my gun? I need to go kill that thing" Maybe I was raised wrong or something, because everyone seems to love it so much. It's disgusting that people find a sense of enjoyment from that. Sorry
    04-02-10 01:01 PM
    Can I hunt with a handgun in Maine? I've got a new Ruger super Redhawk in .454casull I wanna try out... Are out of state licenses expensive?

Yes you can. I've never done it.

Big game hunting licenses are 144$.
    04-02-10 01:02 PM
    I wasn't being rude... I said plenty of times that that's how I am. I call it murdering animals because that's what it is. Kill, murder, slaughter... Yes, I eat meat... But I'm not able to look at a living animal, and then kill it. Sorry! I know I'm not the only one...

Personally, I like snowboarding. I loved hiking the mountains in Alberta and seeing the wildlife. The last thing that could have gone through my mind is "Where is my gun? I need to go kill that thing" Maybe I was raised wrong or something, because everyone seems to love it so much. It's disgusting that people find a sense of enjoyment from that. Sorry
    Then you should word your opinions differently. It's like me saying snowboarding is for idiots.

And I don't go out in the woods and think "Oh my gosh I have to kill every animal I see". I appreciate nature. What I do helps the enviroment as well as other people. Controlling deer populations prevents dangerous and deadly deer-car accidents.
    04-02-10 01:03 PM
    There is a tremendous sense of satisfaction that comes from eating food you've harvested yourself, whether it be in the form of fruits and veggies from your garden or whether it be from an animal you've taken.

Another interesting fact is that many hunters are better stewards for the environment than the PETA folks, etc, and a large portion of the license fees and so forth goes directly to the state DNR for projects and so forth, which also helps...

I understand that hunting isn't for everyone, and that's fine.

I just think you're being unreasonable and a hypocrite if you're fine with people looking at cows, chickens, etc, and killing them for you and neatly packaging them up for you at the store. Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, somebody "murdered" that cow or chicken or whatever that you bought at the store, a restaurant, etc for the express purpose of you eating it. That makes you an accessory to murder.

Last edited by the_sandman_454; 04-02-10 at 01:07 PM.
    04-02-10 01:04 PM
    I don't live in Northern Maine. I'm about 20 miles from the most eastern point in the US.

I get terrible cell service. Haha.

Well crud!! I was hoping to hunt in a place that had cell service that would be sweet!
    04-02-10 01:06 PM
    There is a tremendous sense of satisfaction that comes from eating food you've harvested yourself, whether it be in the form of fruits and veggies from your garden or whether it be from an animal you've taken.
    Hunting is a lot harder then people think. When you finally accomplish your goal, it is an amazing feeling. The first time I shot a deer, I flipped out. I was jumping up and down, screaming. I made a scene even though there was no one else there.

I just think you're being unreasonable and a hypocrite if you're fine with people looking at cows, chickens, etc, and killing them for you and neatly packaging them up for you at the store. Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, somebody "murdered" that cow or chicken or whatever that you bought at the store, a restaurant, etc for the express purpose of you eating it. That makes you an accessory to murder.
    I completely agree with you. How can you say its sick and digusting for me to kill an anmal who has been able to live a great life out in the wild yet you can buy meat from animals who have been tortured? Makes no sense to me at all.
    04-02-10 01:07 PM
    Well crud!! I was hoping to hunt in a place that had cell service that would be sweet!
    Haha. I am still able to use my BB in some places but not everywhere.
    04-02-10 01:08 PM
    Then you should word your opinions differently. It's like me saying snowboarding is for idiots.

And I don't go out in the woods and think "Oh my gosh I have to kill every animal I see". I appreciate nature. What I do helps the enviroment as well as other people. Controlling deer populations prevents dangerous and deadly deer-car accidents.
    You could call me stupid for snowboarding. I really don't care what people think. I'm not trying to insult you guys... I'm just posting my opinion.

Fine... I guess I'm a hypocrite. All I was ever saying is that I'm not able to kill something. I sure as **** wouldn't do it as a source of enjoyment.... Obviously a hunters thought process is much different from my own. Maybe I don't watch enough tv... We get hunters here that sit up in a tree shooting deer. Then they **** off back home leaving dead animals, which isn't even legal to do here... I don't get it... I really don't. I'm so close to slashing all their tires when they're up in their trees...
    04-02-10 01:18 PM

Fine... I guess I'm a hypocrite. All I was ever saying is that I'm not able to kill something. I sure as **** wouldn't do it as a source of enjoyment.... Obviously a hunters thought process is much different from my own. Maybe I don't watch enough tv... We get hunters here that sit up in a tree shooting deer. Then they **** off back home leaving dead animals, which isn't even legal to do here... I don't get it... I really don't. I'm so close to slashing all their tires when they're up in their trees...
    I don't know anyone who shoots a deer and just leaves it in the woods. Those are poachers. NOT hunters.
    04-02-10 01:21 PM
    I don't know anyone who shoots a deer and just leaves it in the woods. Those are poachers. NOT hunters.
    Yeah, we've had that a few times. Same with people up north. They shoot it from the road, then speed off...
    04-02-10 01:23 PM
    Yeah, we've had that a few times. Same with people up north. They shoot it from the road, then speed off...
    Thats not hunting as I said in my previous post. I hate that kind of immature behavior. However, you'll always get people who want to break the rules.
    04-02-10 01:25 PM
    Thats not hunting as I said in my previous post. I hate that kind of immature behavior. However, you'll always get people who want to break the rules.
    Yeah... So what's that? They go eat at Burger King, get their gun and drive around killing animals? That sounds so exciting... They'll give an ****** a gun. So much for hiking... Wouldn't wanna do that during hunting season.
    04-02-10 01:30 PM
152 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD