Ok so first off I've had a HP laptop since October 06 (2-1/2 yrs) a few months after I got the speaker went out (covered under warranty), then I had to use an "airblower can" to get my built in memory card reader to work... No last night my laptop screen pixelates and I pull the battery, turn it back on and only the keypad lights up not the screen, tried a regular monitor doesn't work!! (What could be wrong with it?) Anyhow the comp was $750 it has XP Media Edition, 120GB HardDrive, 1Gig system memory, LightScribe, DVD/CD burner, AMD Turion 64 X2 processor: 1.6GHz and NVIDIA 6150 up to 128mb video memory 15.1 screen bluetooth.... The pc is the HP Pavilion dv2125nr model... (How much should I ask for this particular broken laptop if I want to sell it???)
    Since I've had such bad luck w/HP I was going to go w/another brand, Toshiba I was told it was good, and wouldn't break the band like a Sony would.
    A lot of people tend to perfer intel processors over amd turion, even though some turions may be faster they say the intels run cooler, what's your guys opinions??
    So I looked at 2 pcs that caught my eye:
    Another HP $549 HP Pavailion dv4 1313dx
    AMD Turion X2 2.2GHz 6cell battery
    w/250gb HardDrive 4gb memory, webcam, 14.1 HD brightview screen vista home premium 64-bit (no bluetooth) less than 5.5lbs.
    VS.
    Toshiba Satellite for $600 w/ Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz 15.4 trubright screen 3gb system memory 320gb HardDrive 9cell battery harmon/kardon speakers vista home premium more than 5.5lbs (no bluetooth)m

Seems the extra $50 only gives me a stronger battery more harddrive memory which "I" won't need, slower but better processor(???), less system memory(3gb instead of 4gb???)

My main question is what brand should be more reliable my last HP shouldve lasted more than 2 1/2yrs, the extra $50 seems worth it for the stronger battery just wonder w/less system memory and slightly slower processor how much slower it will be??

I'm looking at opinions on reliablity from brand and best bang for the buck!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-09 11:15 PM
    Toshiba w/ Intel ROCKS!!!

04-21-09 11:18 PM
    Take the Toshiba... I had nothing but problems with my old HP desktop... And the HP customer service sucks! What a bunch of �diots! You'll never talk to more incompetent people in your life, I swear to God...
    04-21-09 11:21 PM
    Toshiba w/ Intel ROCKS!!!

i second, third, fourth that.
    04-21-09 11:21 PM
    Hey aaron, where are you getting these prices from?

04-21-09 11:28 PM
    Best Buy, they have a sell on the pcs.
    WOW!!!!! Unbelievable you all say Toshiba huh?
    You all had problems w/HP or I should just trust that Toshiba is more reliable. Only bad thing is this and I know this may sound stupid.
    My old HP how much should I sell for? Is $200 good or try for $300?
    The $600 Toshiba is slighty bigger less system memory, slower processor...
    They have another Toshiba that's $650 which has specs closer to the HP just more memory an even stronger batter maybe a 12 cell...
    I just don't know lol

04-21-09 11:40 PM
    And why does the "Toshiba w/Intel rock?"
    What are the benefits?

04-21-09 11:42 PM
    Well Intel is definately top of the line. It's like choosing a Blackberry over the iPhone Sorry, I had too

You're computer will run faster and more efficiently. You could find out alot more by googling Intel Core 2.

$300 is pretty steep for a used computer. But it depends what you own. Personally I'd keep it aside incase your new computer ever burns out, and you're in need of a new one that day. I still have my old one sitting in my closet
    04-21-09 11:50 PM
    Not to mention any information on your computer isn't fully destroyed just by deleting it... Sometimes not even by reformatting.

Should blow it up or something. Then all your data will be destroyed... Literally... And it would be a pretty entertaining Saturday Brings back memories of me blowing up my computer... At the hospital having peices of hardrive shrapnel removed from my back.... Fun times
    04-21-09 11:54 PM
    yea...keep your old hp and use it as music server or something. try this -> Sockso - Personal Music Server
    04-22-09 12:02 AM
    Yeah I have not opened this new HP, going back up to Best Buy to look again... HP looks so good and the price of $550 sounds great but the HP may be like $50-100 more. Intel is top of the line, seems this AMD seems like its a tad faster....
    My old computer I'm going to get the info out of it and there's a guy that wants to buy it for $200 so I may sell it to him for that.

04-22-09 12:18 AM
    I too have had terrible issues with my dv series laptop, wireless went down 3 times and 2 of those times I had to send it back in to them. Now out of warranty the screen is going. I purchased a used HP tx4400 tablet which works great for now I wanted to get an in between computer. Anyways I'm still an HP fanboy try looking around at their small business site those seem much better built.

04-22-09 07:01 AM
    Wow this thread is not going good.... This HP might be going back today....

04-22-09 07:11 AM
    Laptops with equal specs? I'd go with HP EVERY time. Laptop with specs slightly better? I'd still go with HP.

I also think HP has THE best customer service in the industry. When you through to their senior executives, they treat their customers like gold.

Then again, I value great customer service, and HP has earned my business.
    04-22-09 08:22 AM
    What's the deal with the HP customer service and treating u like gold? What can they do 4 u?

04-22-09 11:01 AM
    hmm..i've had my hp laptop for about 2 years and havent had a problem since. i paid $800. toshiba and hp are the best pcs. in your case i would spend the 50$ more and get the toshiba, its better overall.
    04-22-09 08:06 PM
    So here's the deal... Get home with this HP (dv-4) series, I turn it on, starts to boot up and freezes... Pull out battery and restart, now when it asks me to type in my name for a login it pops up a letter "v"?!? I'm like WTF! Box the sh!t up and take it back to BestBuy, I returned it but they didn't have anymore so they say I can get any other computer and whatever the difference is they would meet me halfway, so I paid 550 for this comp, this other one I was eyeballing was 650 so I would have gotten $50 off the 650 cuz its a 100 more and they meeting me halfway on it. I declined, drove back up to another Best Buy the had to order one and gave me $25 off the 550 (making it $560) w/tax... So now I'm like I may actually want the HP now paying the $600 wouldn't be bad but if I can still get that deal and plus use the $25 then it would be great I would pay $575 for the Tosh plus tax that would be around $600 OTD vs. $560 and that's if they give me that deal again... What would u do?
    04-22-09 10:35 PM
    If I've already had a problem with an HP, I wouldn't be going back. Not all the companies are the same... Some of them really don't care about the "workmanship" they put out
    04-22-09 10:48 PM
    I currently own an HP DV6000 series notebook. My only problem was with my battery...it went bad in under 12 months. Love it...Intel Core Duo inside

04-23-09 01:37 AM
    Did they replace your battery or not?
    Anyhow its coming to keeping the HP for $525 (BestBuy gave me a gift card for the trouble) or pay $50-75 more ($575-600) for the Toshiba which have the Intel process vs AMD 9cell batter vs.6 and more memory which I don't need.... Help me make a decision lol are Toshiba really more reliable than HP
    04-23-09 03:12 PM
    HP! I had a Toshiba a while back and it kept overheating.

04-23-09 07:20 PM
    I had my laptop screen smashed. They fixed it and replaced the battery and cord. I was blown away. No charge.

I used to analyze customer service for a living, so I am very picky when it comes to how a customer treats me. I emailed a senior exec, and within the hour, I was taken care of. When the laptop came back and I was not satisfied, they set up another repair. Shipping, repair, extra parts: all free.

Based on that, with the knowledge that they will take care of me thus, every thing I own is HP. I demand a lot for my bucks, but I treasure service.

On the flip side, I will never, EVER buy a Dell. If I had the cash, I'd burn it first and go without. I'll leave it at that.
    04-23-09 08:34 PM
    Why won't u buy a Dell?
    I guess I'm going w/HP again I do like the look and feel of their laptops the Toshiba was attractive to me due to being close in price an the bettery battery life and how I here how the processor is supposed to be better...
    How did u get ahold of HP senior execs?
    04-23-09 08:52 PM
    They were paid money to keep their customer service in country and they shipped the jobs elsewhere to save money for themselves. Bunch of sell outs... Not to mention their commercials SUCK!!!
    04-23-09 09:01 PM
    i have both laptops actually. a toshiba a-135 and an HP dv7. i would have to say they are both great computers but i prefer my HP
    04-23-09 10:00 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD