My SO's (Significant Other) friend's wife posted a HUGELY anti-semetic and inappropriate status update on Facebook today...being the smart *** that I am, I commented, "oy vey" [which, in all fairness, was not so PC either...] She responds, "does that mean you agree or disagree?" Ack!

#1) I absolutely disagree with her statement and am horrified that she would dare post something so publicly, but didn't want to display outrage for fear that she would cut her husband off from hanging out with my SO, and I didn't want to jeopardize their friendship.

#2) I don't want to publicly agree or disagree on her Facebook Wall, because sparking a public religious debate is never a good idea, and she's so convicted in her religious beliefs that "I do not wish to comment" will only spark "well you don't love Jesus if you can't stand up for him".... How can I respond with a non-committal answer that will get her off my back?

I should have not commented, I know. Help me get out of this!
    12-02-10 02:49 PM
    It's sad that there are people like that in this world, especially when they mask their own hatred & prejudice under the veil of religion.

I would simply say "I respect your opinion, but this is not one I share." & leave it like that. That way you're not lying & you've brushed her off respectfully.

Off topic a little, I'm an out lesbian, but I have several facebook friends from long ago that don't know. Whenever I see someone making an anti gay remark I send them a private message telling them they may want to take more care in what they post on their facebook, & then I delete them as a friend.
    12-02-10 02:54 PM
    Have you tried deleting your account?

EDIT! what I mean is sometimes when Im faced with that situation I just like to stare or disappear. So deleting your account is sort of like politely excusing yourself from an uncomfortable pickle. ya know?
    12-02-10 02:55 PM
    I'd express my opinion. Just as they did.

But I'd state it respectfully, regardless of how they presented theirs.

Silence is Consent.

Ignorant people need to know when they are being ignorant, because part of being ignorant is not knowing it.
    highjakker likes this.
    12-02-10 03:03 PM
    It's sad that there are people like that in this world, especially when they mask their own hatred & prejudice under the veil of religion.

I would simply say "I respect your opinion, but this is not one I share." & leave it like that. That way you're not lying & you've brushed her off respectfully.

Off topic a little, I'm an out lesbian, but I have several facebook friends from long ago that don't know. Whenever I see someone making an anti gay remark I send them a private message telling them they may want to take more care in what they post on their facebook, & then I delete them as a friend.
    That's a thoughtful and smart answer, thank you
    That sucks that old aquaintences do that, but good on you for sending them a PM. That's classy and I like it, and I bet 90% of the time they feel like an *** and start being more careful!
    12-02-10 03:03 PM
    Have you talked this over with your significant other? If he/she thinks the same way you do, they may not be concerned with holding onto their friend, who incidentally, probably holds the same prejudice views. If this is case, just be forthright and say want you really think.
    12-02-10 04:48 PM
    I just flat-out said, "That's a loaded question, and I'm not quite sure how to answer, I'm sorry...", and then changed the subject quickly
    12-02-10 06:14 PM
    you start it out by saying "look you bible thumping jesus freak!!!!" no really im just kidding. i agree with bbstoof...i would just say...im not sure how to answer that.
    12-02-10 08:49 PM
    You could insert candles of various sizes into all of her orifices, (Lie, and tell her it will bring her closer to God), light them, then say, "Happy Hanukah, you ignorant *****".

P.S. Your welcome.
    Last edited by LazyStarGazer; 12-02-10 at 09:12 PM.
    12-02-10 09:07 PM
    You could insert candles of various sizes into all of her orifices, light them, then say, "Happy Hanukah, you ignorant *****".

P.S. Your welcome.
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA i like this better than my idea!
    12-02-10 09:10 PM
    Simple...just dont respond.
    12-02-10 09:21 PM
    Well it's hard to say how to respond, not knowing what the statement was. No secret what religion I am around here. Considering Jesus was a Jew, it's hard to fathom someone who's Christian bashing Hebrews. I'd feel out the SO (no, you sick, twisted freaks, mentally), and if she shares those beliefs, cut ties with both. Doubtful you'll succeed at changing the facefools mind, so at a minimum, I'd remove them from contact. I enjoy associating with folks who's point of view is different, but prejudice I can't tolerate. Ironic, but true.

[Sarcasm]Is it that we own everything (we do), secretly control the world (we do), or think ourselves better than all the rest (we do) that causes her view point?[/sarcasm]
    12-02-10 10:06 PM
    Opening line: Lookit you fake a$s, bible thumping, hypocritical, POS

Closing line:
    You may love Jesus but I can assure you that he would never have
    anything to do with a mean-spirited, anti-semetic, tramp like you.

The rest you can fill in on your own, trust me it will flow naturally.
    12-02-10 10:54 PM
    Oh wait, you said "neutrally." Maybe my approach is not what you are looking for
    12-02-10 11:07 PM
    Why would you say you respect an opinion when an opinion is completely distasteful to you and to society, as any anti-Semitic opinion is and should be?
    Obviously I'm a little late, but as Edmund Burke said, all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. I would be respectful, but only of them as a person, not of any asinine opinion they might have.
    Hatred is wrong no matter where it's directed.
    12-02-10 11:19 PM
    Opening line: Lookit you fake a$s, bible thumping, hypocritical, POS

Closing line:
    You may love Jesus but I can assure you that he would never have
    anything to do with a mean-spirited, anti-semetic, tramp like you.

^^^^this....
    12-02-10 11:20 PM
    LOL some of you are very inventive!

I'm still in shock today to be honest...man, I can't believe some people still think like that as we head into 2011...I mean, my father was Jewish and my mother Christian and it was NEVER an issue. (In fact, I think they did it "right"; they raised me as 'nothing'; teaching me about every religion from Catholicism to Wicca, so I could choose my own beliefs...too bad I came out Agnostic! )

She and her husband will be at a birthday party we're attending next week and the ******* in me wants to show up wearing a Star of David necklace (Buttttt, two wrongs don't make a right!)
    12-03-10 04:54 AM
    I don't think there's a neutral way to handle. I being raised jewish, but being a non-believer, I handle these things in two ways. If the comment is made by someone I know to be an ***** (consensus of not just my opinion) I will usually just ignore them. This type of person will never understand they said something inappropriate, and frankly they probably don't care. Any other person I would call them on it.

As for the person being your S.O.'s friends wife, he or she should understand your concerns and be able to talk to their explain the situation to their friend as well. And if the wife tries cut the friend off from you S.O., that friend should understand as well and continue to be friends with your S.O., or they're not much of a friend.

Good luck.
    12-03-10 06:30 AM
    We agree to disagree.
    12-03-10 07:41 AM
    My SO's (Significant Other) friend's wife posted a HUGELY anti-semetic and inappropriate status update on Facebook today...being the smart *** that I am, I commented, "oy vey" [which, in all fairness, was not so PC either...] She responds, "does that mean you agree or disagree?" Ack!
    Simple...

Just say Yes, and if she really wants to know if you agree or not, then give her what's on your mind. If your SO and her SO are adults, they can deal with their friendship in any fashion that they want to, and you don't have to deal with her is you would rather not.

Dropping idiots from your life should be something you do often and without much thought to if it will hurt their feelings.
    01-11-11 02:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD