Okay, so I'm a slight germaphobe and I work all day at a computer with clients that come in to see me.

I try my best to not make contact with them, without being rude or obvious of my aversion to them.

I'm not crazy abnormal about this, but I don't like shaking hands-

Or touching their paperwork when it's covered with gross grease stains or other unidentifiable spots.

So anywho, since I work with people all day long, I have this problem-

How do I keep to myself without being rude to my clients?

For instance, today I needed some extra information from my client, they called their relative, and handed me the phone.

On the inside, I was like, oh no please no! But I took it with a smile, asked them some questions, then kindly gave the phone back.

The moment they left, I went to my private bathroom and washed my face and hands.

Any advice on how to avoid contact, without looking like a snobby-holier-than-thou-ahole?
    02-17-11 03:02 PM
    Do what Howie Mandel does, and fist-bump.

To be honest, I am on the opposite end of the scale where I don't really care. I'm not a slob, of course, but I'm not going to be anal about touching things for fear of a cold.
    02-17-11 03:19 PM
    I'm not scared of a cold, I'm scared of things like Hepatitis and stuff, and athletes foot, and weird stuff...
    02-17-11 03:21 PM
    Plus, have you seen how crazy gross telephones and cell phones are?

It's a literal breeding ground for the AIDs super virus.

(Yes, that was a comical exaggeration)
    02-17-11 03:24 PM
    tell them you're getting over a bad cold/flu and ask if they would mind putting the other party on speakerphone....if that doesn't work start hacking and coughing at them and sneeze all over their paperwork.
    02-17-11 03:38 PM
    Haha, that's true, I guess they can be pretty gross, but I guess when it's my time, it's my time. :-P
    02-17-11 03:40 PM
    Well im a germophobe and I tell people. If they like it oh well, if they dont whatever. Anyway. What I would had done as i always do in that situation is first while the phone is in their hands ask them how do you put it on speakerphone. And if they choose not to I just wipe the phone with the outside of my shirt ( not the inside, because its touching my skin. Ewww) then I put my index finger above the phone so that the phone is close enough to my ear to hear but the phone is never touching my ear. My finger is is keeping my ear and the phone separated. And most important of all. Keep lots of hand sanitizer everywhere. The car, office, bedroom, living room, bathroom, etc..... hope that helps.

Id high-five you my fellow germophobe but then id have to wash my hands.......

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-11 03:55 PM

Freaks.

02-17-11 05:06 PM
    Just explain to them how you are a radical environmentalist and don't believe in personal hygeine or toilet paper.
    02-17-11 06:22 PM

A natural alternative.

Careful who you shake hands with.

02-17-11 06:54 PM
    Try this: Grow up or resign yourself to being the a-hole you are trying to avoid being.

You're welcome.
    02-17-11 07:04 PM
    Well, your post mainly talls about your job and your clients in relation to your germophobia. I ask, what is your job and what are the types of clients you deal with. If they are upscale then you are a germophobe but if they are lower income people, people whom you believe you are better than well you are more of an a-hole and should seek new employment.

02-17-11 09:50 PM
    Lol, ouch AG
    Sounds like minor OCD - but if you can control it despite your aversion to germs, you should be ok. Just practice, and touch at least one disgusting thing every day.
    02-17-11 11:00 PM
    Exposure to germs will help you increase your immune system so that you won't need to worry as much about germs.

02-17-11 11:25 PM
    After reading some of the stuff found on cell phones, and taking a few chem labs growing cultures of bacteria from normal day to day objects, it's just gross.

An aversion to the gross factor, not to the people if you will- This all pretty much started after the whole Swine Flu Hysteria.

Stuff like Staph was found on phones, in a study- here is a link or whatever.

Dirty Talk: What's Really on Your Cell Phone? - ktla.com

Heres an excerpt:

LOS ANGELES -- A recent study showed serious superbug bacteria on the cell phones of some hospital workers, and it got us wondering, how dirty are cell phones in our newsroom? We called in the experts.

"Bathrooms are a definite place you don't want to leave them," says Dennis Ironi of Andersen Consulting. "But I would say letting other people use your phone, that's the largest source of bacterial contamination."

Heres another article:

Cell Phones Filthier Than Bottom of Shoe | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

"The phones contained more skin bacteria than the any other object; this could be due to the fact that this type of bacteria increases in high temperatures and our phones are perfect for breeding these germs as they’re kept warm and cozy in our pockets, handbags and brief cases. These bacteria are toxic to humans, and can cause infections if they have the opportunity to enter the body.”
    - Joanne Verran, Professor of Microbiology at Manchester Metropolitan University

I remember a while back CB ran an article on this guy that was selling wipeys for phones because he got some gross infection on his face.

/shivers

Try this: Grow up or resign yourself to being the a-hole you are trying to avoid being.

You're welcome.
    Thanks AG.
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 02-18-11 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Edited, because I grew up.
    02-18-11 12:47 AM
    Since it's a psychological condition there's not much to do without professional assistance (not available at CB). I know many people who don't fall into the germaphobe category, but exercise extra avoidance in public and my wife is always going on about germs. My observation is that if all the fears about germs were true, people would be keeling over in the streets. They are not, because overall as a society we have good personal hygiene habits.
    02-18-11 07:15 AM
    Umm really? You really think you can get hepatitis, aids, etc from touching peoples phones and paperwork? I'd say get a grip because that's false. You'd have to wallow in an open wound for that to have any affect.

Beyond that maybe a visit to a professional would be in order to help overall.

The more you close yourself off from others and their "germs" the more likelihood you might actually catch something because your own immune system will be way more purer than any normal persons who actually get colds and such.
    02-18-11 08:24 AM
    with everyone using all this hand-sanitizer and self medicating and taking these preventive medications it's no wonder they're open to catching anything & everything. the only way to have a strong immune system is to let it work and fight off and build up against germs and viruses. just my 2 sense......lol
    02-18-11 09:14 AM
    Umm really? You really think you can get hepatitis, aids, etc from touching peoples phones and paperwork? I'd say get a grip because that's false. You'd have to wallow in an open wound for that to have any affect.

Beyond that maybe a visit to a professional would be in order to help overall.

The more you close yourself off from others and their "germs" the more likelihood you might actually catch something because your own immune system will be way more purer than any normal persons who actually get colds and such.
    Oh, yea- I'm totally scared to get AIDs from a phone.

I don't need help, this little issue is not preventing me from functioning, I still take things from other people and carry on with my life.

I'm just asking CB because there maybe other people who experience the same thing, and I wanted to hear how some others politely deal with this.

As evidenced from BLOG POSTS ON THIS WEBSITE.

I wash my hands roughly 82 times a day, not much more then the other people I work with.

I'm normal- no help needed.
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 02-18-11 at 09:53 AM.
    02-18-11 09:44 AM
    just bust these out...they'll get the hint.
    02-18-11 09:55 AM
    That'll be awkward to use while taking a call though!
    02-18-11 09:59 AM
    In the Androma Strain by Michael Crichton, they talk about how 97% of bacteria is either beneficial or benign. So think of it this way: your fear of germs is actually probably worse, because it prevents you from contacting that good bacteria.

02-18-11 10:03 AM
    buy shirts with extra long sleeves with the thumb-holes in them like the EMO kids wear.
    02-18-11 10:05 AM
    Good Idea

I even bought this silver laced yoga mat so I don't have to worry about my own germs on my mat.

Cleanliness is next to godliness, I swear.
    02-18-11 10:08 AM
    when you go to mass and they hand out the refreshments, you know, the pieces of bread and juicey juice, do you ask the father if his hands are clean?
    02-18-11 10:23 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD