02-24-11 03:04 PM
123 ... 2345
tools
    I have 5 methods of charging - USB at home, two wall chargers at home, car charger, and USB at work. I try to charge mine every night - we got rid of our home phone, and I don't want to risk being without communication.
    01-25-09 06:46 AM
    I use mine only till it hits 15% once that happens, to the charger it goes. I have only had it go once under and actually die.
    01-27-09 03:42 AM
    I put it on the charger before going to sleep. I also have a charger at work that I try to keep it on as much as possible. I don't let my gas tack get below a quarter tank and I don't let my phone battery get below 50%, just one of those OCD things I guess!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-27-09 08:42 AM
    It is good to let it run down low occasionally but usually I charge every other day

01-27-09 09:07 AM
    yeah, i usually run mine til there's only a bar left on the battery meter
    01-27-09 09:23 AM
    I take mine down to 5%-10% before charging. When the LED flashes low battery, I will deliberately surf the net or email or mess around with profiles until it gets that low. Guess I just can't get used to the new batteries that don't develop a memory so I play it close to get the most out of my battery. But I've got a home charger, car charger and spare charger in my purse too!
    01-31-09 01:22 AM
    If you have Bold... :-| Then yes, this is a feature....

01-31-09 01:33 AM
    I charge mine every night, regardless of how much battery is left. I have to admit, I miss my 8320 battery life. My Bold doesnt last nearly as long.
    01-31-09 01:40 AM
    I take mine down to 5%-10% before charging. When the LED flashes low battery, I will deliberately surf the net or email or mess around with profiles until it gets that low. Guess I just can't get used to the new batteries that don't develop a memory so I play it close to get the most out of my battery. But I've got a home charger, car charger and spare charger in my purse too!
    dang you stayed prepared with the chargers LOL.
    01-31-09 02:44 AM
    I never run down my battery. I get scared that my phone will just die on me when I have to use it. I always charge it fully before I leave the house
    01-31-09 02:47 AM
    you have no idea how much i txt, lol. i have a back up battery too -_-
    01-31-09 03:15 AM
    Um, with every device i've ever used that utilizes a battery, instruction manuals and/or customer service has said that draining it completely ( or close) before recharging vastly increases battery life. I first learned that through airsoft guns. Many batteries (except i think one certain kind) for these guns would die quickly and you'd have to buy a new one because it wouldn't hold a charge anymore. Solution? Drain it completely after every airsoft session.

Apparently, batteries have a sort of "memory" and i guess it's like this: If you charge a battery when it's at 80%, it starts to only remember it has a small amount of space to store a charge (not necessarily 20% but, lower than 100%). That was a basic version that i've heard used to explain it....someone correct me if i'm wrong with cell phone batteries.

Basically, a full/almost full battery discharge, before a recharge prevents degrading of the batt.
    The old batteries used to be like that and it was causing problems so they changed the make up of the battery and it's no longer a problem.
    01-31-09 03:29 AM
    Certainly the Bold battery life is not as good as my old 8820 or my wife's Curve, it is not as bad as I feared. The first thing I did (as with all my Blackberries) is go to Amazon and buy a genuine Blackberry spare battery (about GB 20 or less than $30 US). I cycle between the 2

Thus always having a fully charged spare and reducing the charge cycles inflicted on each battery. It 30 bucks well spent and is a great idea for travelling too. Gary

01-31-09 04:42 AM
    there has been a couple of times i just let my BB die out and that was only cause i forgot about charging it but most of the time i let it go all the way till like 15 %
    02-01-09 11:42 AM
    Apparently, batteries have a sort of "memory" and i guess it's like this: If you charge a battery when it's at 80%, it starts to only remember it has a small amount of space to store a charge (not necessarily 20% but, lower than 100%). That was a basic version that i've heard used to explain it....someone correct me if i'm wrong with cell phone batteries.

Basically, a full/almost full battery discharge, before a recharge prevents degrading of the batt.
    From what I've been told that is not true with newer batteries or higher end batteries like the ones in cell phones. Now I could be wrong because I can't for the life of me remember where I read it haha.

02-02-09 08:54 PM
    I keep telling myself that I am going to let my battery go for the day. I am OCD about my BB. Constantly clearing and cleaning. Anytime I am near my charger I plug it in. I have a car charger but am still always worried about going without! I mean....like what did we do before BBs?
    02-02-09 09:08 PM
    Nope. I've heard that its better to keep you battery topped off, plus I don't want to have an emergency situation where I really need my phone and my battery is dead.
    It's actually the other way around. Rechargeable batteries only last so many charging cycles. So if you charge it, say, every night, instead of letting it drain naturally after 3-5 days, then your battery is much more likely to hold a weaker charge, faster.

With that said, I always let my battery drain (not necessarily die) unless I know that I'm going to need it fully charged for some reason. I've done this for about three-and-a-half years and I've never had a problem with it.
    Last edited by zarzamora_hermosa; 02-25-09 at 02:16 PM.
    02-02-09 09:26 PM
    It's a little weird and it's probably bad for the battery, but it's like a weird rush. Anyone?
    That is sick... and i totally do it too! haha! it's like seeing MY OWN life-line draining away!
    02-02-09 09:29 PM
    im guilty of letting it "go too far" on bbm, texting, yahoo msgr, email from 6am til whenever, lol.... here's where i drew the line tonite (see attachment)
    02-02-09 10:31 PM
    I always keep mine charged up, I should let it go for a few days.
    02-03-09 08:50 AM
    OK...for the first time...I let my baby go unattended. Today is the first day and its at 10%. Is that ok? It seems that it should last longer since I hardly used it yesterday.
    02-03-09 03:18 PM
    I'll let mine completely die sometimes and I try to never fall asleep with it on the charger. But it gets in the red-zone atleast once a day.
    02-03-09 03:45 PM
    I use my BB all day long and usually stay at around 40% by the nighttime. I charge it every night though so it never goes that low.
    02-04-09 01:52 PM
    I keep mine charged all the time... the lowest it's ever gotten is around 50%. I charge it at home, in the car.... I guess I am paranoid about my battery dying when I need to be using it.
    02-07-09 01:01 PM
    you know what's really funny? I seriously didn't even know for sure IF I could turn off my BB because I don't think I would ever want to... I think I might, in fact, die if my BB was shut off..
    02-07-09 01:22 PM
123 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD