I use it till I drain the battery and I can't send email/text but my BB still works.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-08 09:53 AM
    I put my BB on the charge every night when I go to bed whether it has 20% or 70% and it stays on charge all night. I have not noticed any changes in battery life.

06-28-08 10:01 AM
    sometimes. helps the batt keep a better charge once topped off again.

I know all this blah-blah-blah about Li-Ion and Smart and all that but running it to the limit helps 'remind' the battery that it can indeed hold a hard charge. That has been my experience with laptop batteries, cell phone batts and even rechargeable AA's.
    06-28-08 10:20 AM
    It happens, with all the use it gets.
    06-28-08 10:23 AM
    I run the battery to a low level;and recharge it at night after it powers down.
    06-28-08 11:13 AM
    @ Ub3r: It's not necessarily a bad thing to keep your phone on at night, or even for weeks at a time. But make sure to keep an eye on your memory in case you have a memory leak, if you're phone starts running slow just do a battery pull or do these.

1). Press Alt-LeftShift-Del from the main screen.
    2). Goto and download SoftReset. It's free.
    EDIT: Ok the link isn't working in the quote so here it is.

SoftReset
    Last edited by Skormm; 06-28-08 at 11:50 AM.
    06-28-08 11:47 AM
    My battery never gets to that point. At the end of the day I am somewhere between the 75-80% zone with my battery. It has only once dropped below 50%.
    06-28-08 11:47 AM
    I don't claim to know any more than the next guy, but in my experience, an occasional full drain then a long overnight charge seems to keep the battery life maximized. I agree Li-on batteries don't require near the constant attention that Nimh did. I'll often top off my device so its at full for the following day. But it always seems to me that a full charge just doesn't last as long if I don't do a full drain/charge cycle at least every week or two.

06-28-08 12:29 PM
    I do it pretty much everyday. Seen the battery too low for radio use message plenty of times.
    I've encountered this one time in the 2 months I've had my BB. I have a charger at work, car, and several throughout my house. Sometimes when my charger is pulled in, its NOT charging. This is how mine ended up running so low while I was talking on it in my car- I thought the thing was charging.
    06-28-08 12:38 PM
    @ Ub3r: It's not necessarily a bad thing to keep your phone on at night, or even for weeks at a time. But make sure to keep an eye on your memory in case you have a memory leak, if you're phone starts running slow just do a battery pull or do these.

EDIT: Ok the link isn't working in the quote so here it is.

SoftReset
    Just FYI, for me it's alt + RIGHTshift + del
    06-28-08 04:00 PM
    I've only been in a situation once where my berry was dead with no charger....let me tell you....it freakin suxxxx!!!
    06-28-08 04:05 PM
    I guess that would be me

06-28-08 04:51 PM
    I don't claim to know any more than the next guy, but in my experience, an occasional full drain then a long overnight charge seems to keep the battery life maximized.
    That's been my experience too.
    06-29-08 05:08 PM
    Mine won't charge... what is wrong...it was low this morning put the charger on it and went back 2 hours later and it si TOTALLY dead. it is only 6 months old.
    06-29-08 06:04 PM
    I don't charge until it's in the red, but so far that has been @ the end of my day so it works out.
    06-29-08 06:59 PM
    I've run mine down pretty far but could not charge so it went dead. Oh well its working fine now.
    06-29-08 07:04 PM
    I do it every day no problem.
    06-29-08 07:26 PM
    I was @ 5% earlier today...I get carried away with it and drain my bettery pretty fast lol
    06-30-08 10:54 PM
    I thought it was better to let it drain then charge rather than to have it on the charger all the time.
    07-01-08 10:06 AM
    I normally don't let my battery get below 10-15% before i charge it.
    07-01-08 10:37 AM
    I try to not go below 25%, but sometimes I end up way down about 5%!
    07-01-08 10:41 AM
    I kinda like seeing it turn red...just like driving your car until it almost reaches E (i've never done that) but there's a weird sense of relief once the phone gets plugged in
    LOL, not me--I NEED to have my BB charged at all times--I was on it yesterday, and noticed it got low and freaked! My biggest fear is that I will be out and about and Leroy will run low......
    07-01-08 10:52 AM
    I'm pretty anal about having a topped off battery when I can. But, my 8830 is my only phone and I often kill the battery sometimes twice or more a day. I will very often use it to 10% and have even had it shut off from being dead.

Although Li-on batteries do not get a memory effect from not draining them fully (like the old Ni-cad), I am sort of used to doing that.

I've done quite a bit of reading on Li-ons, (for cameras, cells, etc). From what I've come to understand, Li-on batteries do however have a "cycle life" of "X" amount of recharges, whether it is charging them from up from 90% charge to 100%, or from 10% charge to 100% charge.

Once they have completed so many cycles, they are on their way out. Numbers I have seen quoted as being 400-500 cycles for most batteries.

It seems to me though, I have at least gotten 600-800 cycles (maybe more) that I can can estimate with good service life out of Li-ons before they have died. Usually about a year of service or more.

I have most always charged any li-on battery devices of mine overnight, all night.

Just what I do, and this is NOT advice, just input to the thread.
    07-01-08 11:04 AM
    Well, I've let it get pretty low a lot but I usually try to keep it pretty high. I kind of start to freak out when it gets below half. Haha

07-01-08 11:48 AM
    I get pretty low most days, but I charge mine every night-regardless. I'm not exactly sure if this is bad or good.
    07-01-08 11:53 AM
123 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD