I've been a sales rep for about 2 years and although I am good at what I do, I feel as if I belong in another type of work. I love the ability to work with new people, meet different types of personalities, but I always wanted to go back to the medical field. I've had thoughts about quitting and going back to be a nurse (Gaylord Focker style) but with college loan payments, car payment, and other loans, I find it difficult and continue working at my current job. Anyone feel the same?
    07-23-08 10:25 PM
    i work in childcare. It's what i want to do...but yeah there are days i feel i should be doing something else.
    its frusterateing..and the wage isnt near high enough to support yourself.
    and it sucks even more when youre in the right career but teh wrong company.
    I just changed companies and couldnt be happier with the move.
    07-23-08 10:40 PM
    I hated my job. I still am in a similar field but I think I was dissatisfied with the level of work I was getting. I was working at a global company and everyone thought I was nuts when I quit to go to grad school. I never thought I'd put myself through school again but it has paid off. I have a new job lined up and I get paid 2X more than before. Plus I actually like what I do now.

I guess what I'm getting at is there are always risks. Just have to think if its worth it in the end.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by chatter_box; 07-24-08 at 01:04 AM.
    07-24-08 01:02 AM
    I also work with children and it's definitely challenging. There are days I want to rip my hair out and quit, but in the end, this is where I want to be.

/end Hallmark card
    07-24-08 01:02 AM
    I work for a Health Services division.

My day is spent seeing to it grant funds are properly
    disbursed to the residents who are most in need.
    I love my job. Except during audits, then I am capable
    of crimes against humanity.
    07-24-08 01:27 AM
    I'm a Lifeguard. It's probably one of the coolest jobs you can get as a teenager. Of course, I'm only 19, so I can't complain of career issues.

I was a waiter before though. On a Friday night, I usually made around 200 dollars, and that's for 5 hours of work time. The job was stressful as ****. The money wasn't worth it. I actually ended up throwing a bottle of Grey Goose at my manager, because he was one of the "stressors" when I worked there, but I won't get into that. I'm just glad I quit.

I'm satisfied with guarding right now. It's enough money to pay off my car note and cellphone bill, but as I get into school this fall, I'll try to find something more... lucrative?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    07-24-08 11:51 PM
    I'm a teacher, and while I don't exactly hate my job, I will admit that my job has its challenges. I teach in the poorest urban congressional district in the U.S. and the students I teach come from such volatile situations, require so much more than just academic intervention, and lack the academic skills or emotional coping mechanism to function "normally" in a classroom that (sometimes) opportunities to teach academics are far and few. You do get ample opportunity to teach social and life skills. My only caution to anyone thinking about entering this "profession" is to never forget that you not just teaching a subject, you're teaching a child, because if you forget that you'll burn yourself out real fast.
    07-25-08 01:23 AM
    I work as a CSR, pretty good paying job for a 19 yr old college student with no bills other than cell phone and helping parents out wit basic utilities
    07-25-08 01:54 AM
    I don't hate my job, but it can be really boring. It is the perfect job for me to have right now because I am going back to school to get my Masters and my boss is super flexible about my schedule!
    07-25-08 12:05 PM
    I dont hate my job i just dont like where it is going right now! I am a finance Director at a GMC dealership. Car sales are down and getting paid commission only is what most people on the Finance side get paid. So when they guys cant sell cars our oppurtunity suffer tremenously...plus the head management doesnt want to do anything about it...We just sit and blame the economy, well got a news flash for ya...My bill collectors dont care about the economy! LOL

So i am working on a exit strategy...Been taking my real estate classes and have a job waiting as a partner in a commercial real estate broker office. Lots of potential and i would love to be in charge again of my own income and work the Deal so to Speak...Fingers Crossed!
    07-25-08 12:13 PM
    Yeah I like my job but it does have it's boring times like now been on CB for almost 2.5 hours because I don't have an assignment maybe I should slow my work down? I reckon I work too fast and usually there are mistakes but not with me I am a machine hehe I reckon it's because everything is like clockwork and I make a system of procedures for everything I do

07-25-08 12:50 PM
    All I can say is this......

If you feel you should be in a different line of work, then change jobs. Especially if you are not tied down with familial obligations (spouse, children). I was working in the family business and had been doing so for about 8 years (since I was 16). I made decent money but I always felt beholden to my father and was at the mercy of contract work. I would sometimes go for MONTHS without a paycheck because of the nature of our work. We budgeted and made it work but it was very stressful. I felt trapped and scared and I had just started a family. I had a long talk with my wife and after a long discussion we decided I should change careers. I had a sit down with my father and explained it to him. It was terrifying. I was worried he would disown me for leaving the family business. He was actually very understanding and supportive. He told be I needed to do what was right for my family and that he would find someone else to fill my shoes.

So I took a pay cut in exchange for a steady paycheck. For 2 1/2 years I worked as a jailer at our county jail. All the while I was training and studying for my chosen vocation. I finally got hired as a firefighter and I now love my job. I have job security and actually a safer line of work than before. I can't imagine where I would be if I hadn't worked up the nerve to change professions. Don't be afraid of trying.
    07-25-08 04:17 PM
    I wouldn't say I'm dissatisfied but I'm definitely hoping to move on within the next year. It's pretty daunting, though, cause right now I'm thinking either grad school or a complete career change.

07-26-08 01:10 AM
    I hate my job, so much idle time is spent getting yelled at by obnoxious people on grave. I need to go back to school and get my bachelor's degree completed. (I have an associates). The problem is, what I want my bachelor's in is a complete turn-around from my associates. (Associates in Science and Math, I want a bachelor's in business). I feel trapped. I want a better quality of life and a better job but I feel so run down. My parents are part of the problem, they refuse to co-sign student loans and I have no loan history. Sorry if I seem bitchy, I just don't know how to handle it.
    07-26-08 02:14 AM
    I hate my job, so much idle time is spent getting yelled at by obnoxious people on grave. I need to go back to school and get my bachelor's degree completed. (I have an associates). The problem is, what I want my bachelor's in is a complete turn-around from my associates. (Associates in Science and Math, I want a bachelor's in business). I feel trapped. I want a better quality of life and a better job but I feel so run down. My parents are part of the problem, they refuse to co-sign student loans and I have no loan history. Sorry if I seem bitchy, I just don't know how to handle it.
    Do what I did. Work till you have the money, one two or three jobs. Then go to school till you're broke. Then repeat.
    07-26-08 08:09 PM
    I love my job. I'm only 30, but I know I will retire here. The pay and benefits are great. My employees are awsome!

07-26-08 08:14 PM
    Infernis-student loans don't require parents to co-sign. I don't know where you live (I'm on WAP) but go to your local college and sit down with someone from their financial aid department and explain to them your situation. It may not be the bright light in the sky but at least you'll have a jumping off point to figure a way out of your situation. Better to be proactive than to sit idlly by and let life take you by storm. PM or PIN me if you need any help. I would be more than happy to help you in any way possible.

07-26-08 08:25 PM
    I would have to re-register first, I don't know where to start, at all. My two-year means diddly-squat, unless I use it as liberal arts filler. I think I'm good at business and computer stuffs, but I would just want to do system repair and building. I need to get back on track, if not in the fall then definately in the Spring of 09. (My parents don't understand because I am only the second person in our family to attend college really, much less complete a degree. And no not my immediate family, my extended family is included.)
    07-27-08 03:41 AM
    I have 4 jobs.. and its a love hate relationship with them all.#1 and 68-hour a week main job (besides school of corse) is i am a server. I love it because I really can control my income (given, people actually come to eat) based on my attitude. I am awesome at buttering people up and getting them to try new drinks and things, (which adds more to my tip everytime I get them to try something new) and I do not serve the old people or forieners anymore because for some reason they don't like to sit next to the bar. I hate it because about a quarter of the employees are 18 year old kids who still live with their mommies who pay all of their bills, so all of the money that they make serving, goes strait to drugs. This causes them to either not care, or forget, what their job requirements are and the managers let this happen. So guess who gets to clean up after them, me.

#2. I work for a local hospice where I clean houses for old people and take care of them while i'm their, giving their care givers a break. This pays $20 an hour with a minimum of 3 hours to a house. So this means, even if I'm only there an hour, I get $60 + TIPSSSSS. Yes, old people in Florida tip you when you clean their houses. Downfall, you have a little old lady following you around saying "You missed a spot."

#3. My family owns a tomato company where we grow, pack, sell and ship tomatoes. I'm forced to work here during the tomato seasons but am guilt tripped into working whever I can. Working for my mom, NOT fun and basically no money.

#4 and possiably my favorite. I teach baton! I have twirled for 14 years so I'm nothing short of amazing (I'm not concieded I promise) and all of the younger girls are lining up and fighting (literally) for me to teach them. I love it because it makes me happy knowing I am improving a child self esteem, breaking down social barriers for them, and obviously, teaching them AWESOME routines. Any downfalls? Parents. Most parents sit at every lesson and push their daughter until she doesn't even want to be there. Either that or their so dumb they don't even know what time they have to be there, even though its the same time same day every single week. But they pay me $16/hour wether they show up on time, or at all even.

Needless to say, I have NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO time. My mom bought me a wireless internet card for my laptop so I can take online classes in the middle of all of my mahem, but unless something changes soon, school is going to be the first thing dropped. :x I live by myself, and working all of these jobs barely pays my bills.
    07-27-08 03:51 AM
    I have 4 jobs.. and its a love hate relationship with them all.#1 and 68-hour a week main job (besides school of corse) is i am a server. I love it because I really can control my income (given, people actually come to eat) based on my attitude. I am awesome at buttering people up and getting them to try new drinks and things, (which adds more to my tip everytime I get them to try something new) and I do not serve the old people or forieners anymore because for some reason they don't like to sit next to the bar. I hate it because about a quarter of the employees are 18 year old kids who still live with their mommies who pay all of their bills, so all of the money that they make serving, goes strait to drugs. This causes them to either not care, or forget, what their job requirements are and the managers let this happen. So guess who gets to clean up after them, me.

#2. I work for a local hospice where I clean houses for old people and take care of them while i'm their, giving their care givers a break. This pays $20 an hour with a minimum of 3 hours to a house. So this means, even if I'm only there an hour, I get $60 + TIPSSSSS. Yes, old people in Florida tip you when you clean their houses. Downfall, you have a little old lady following you around saying "You missed a spot."

#3. My family owns a tomato company where we grow, pack, sell and ship tomatoes. I'm forced to work here during the tomato seasons but am guilt tripped into working whever I can. Working for my mom, NOT fun and basically no money.

#4 and possiably my favorite. I teach baton! I have twirled for 14 years so I'm nothing short of amazing (I'm not concieded I promise) and all of the younger girls are lining up and fighting (literally) for me to teach them. I love it because it makes me happy knowing I am improving a child self esteem, breaking down social barriers for them, and obviously, teaching them AWESOME routines. Any downfalls? Parents. Most parents sit at every lesson and push their daughter until she doesn't even want to be there. Either that or their so dumb they don't even know what time they have to be there, even though its the same time same day every single week. But they pay me $16/hour wether they show up on time, or at all even.

Needless to say, I have NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO time. My mom bought me a wireless internet card for my laptop so I can take online classes in the middle of all of my mahem, but unless something changes soon, school is going to be the first thing dropped. :x I live by myself, and working all of these jobs barely pays my bills.
    I was in a similar situation when I was younger and I was always playing "catch-up" because I didn't have a car and my jobs were in different cities. I have to say that it was still one of the best times of my life, experimenting with different types of work and meeting some great people. I only wish I had that energy now! I was dissatisfied with my most recent job - not the job itself - but it was due to a specific member of mgmt. Problem solved: the company HQ relocated to another state and - voila!I(and dozens of others) am no longer dissatisfied, heh! But this is a just the kick-in-the-@$$ that I needed to pursue other avenues.

Hope this worked; it's my first time to actually post from my BB.

07-27-08 02:20 PM
    I'm currently working for a company with two locations. I handle all their IT needs. This company has about 150+ computers between the two locations. I am their ONLY IT person. I have so much down time its not funny. We are currently doing lay-offs and I was asked if I could work in the warehouse some. Of course I said yes because I need my job, but I am maxed out in pay and experience from this job. I have my B.S Degree in Computer Science and also my CCNA Certification. I do work in a small town, but live 35mins away in a larger one. The jobs in either two aren't that great or plentiful. Looking to move when I can get more of my bills taken care of because I would have to sell our Condo before we moved.
    07-28-08 11:56 AM
    my job isn't that bad, but i pretty much despise one guy i work with so that kinda ruins it. but for $17.50 an hour it's kinda hard to be too dissatisfied when i'm only 21 and still in college
    07-28-08 03:23 PM
    I already posted about my job but i hate it some much that i had to pop in the thread and relay again....UGH 63hrs a week of pure ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    07-28-08 04:02 PM
    You could say that I hate my job. I'm in the retail industry and was laid off back in Feb where I was in management. Instead of taking a few months off, I began looking immediately and found something after 3 1/2 weeks. I took it w/o thinking and now I regret it big time.

Funny thing is that I've been keeping contact with my old co-workers and there might be a management position available which if they offered, I'd take it in a heartbeat.
    07-30-08 07:18 PM
    I wouldn't say I'm dissatisfied but I'm definitely hoping to move on within the next year. It's pretty daunting, though, cause right now I'm thinking either grad school or a complete career change.

I was in the same boat. I quit my job to get my masters in business since the firm wouldn't support my taking a day off a week, even though it would have been applicable to my career. I don't regret going back because of all the good things that happened as a result, but holy crap do I ever hate the idea of "school". Learning is one thing, school is another.
    07-30-08 11:15 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD