So I live in a township in SE Pa which I think is pretty small. The police department has probably 8 officers total and probably 10 patrol cars. They just received a new one, an unmarked 2009 dodge charger. They already have 2 other unmarked chargers, a black 1 and a red 1, the new 1 is silver and they also have a 2007 Ford F150. Not to mention the other patrol cars which are marked and 1 unmarked crown victoria. I just think its funny that this police department feels the need to have 5 unmarked cars for no reason really. I wonder who they are lying to so they can get all this new stuff.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-09 12:56 PM
    Sounds Like A Big Waste Of Money...
    03-05-09 01:07 PM
    I'd agree that sounds wasteful. I don't think its necessary for any small department to have a Charger. Now if they are patroling a stretch of road were it is easy to drive fast to lose the cops or any other similar situation then maybe they could have one (1).

In PA I can see justification for the F150 if its a 4x4. Having a vehical that does a little better during big snows is a good idea.

I've seen my old little village police department with 4x4 durango, quad runner, and other things I see no reason for them to have. Winters don't get that bad here in Cincinnati to warrant those tools. Especiall in a "village" which is supported by the better funded & better equiped county police.
    03-05-09 01:21 PM
    I just pasted yet another unmarked car, this one is a chevy impala. Totally crazy

03-05-09 02:30 PM
    Would you feel better if they spent the money to have all 6 of the unmarked cars painted? you're talking $1500 a piece?

Maybe they do need them, you (all of us) just don't know
    03-05-09 02:55 PM
    I doubt there is any lying going on here. If they apply for a grant or there is money from the town then all they have to do is ask. I dont really see the issue whether the vehicles are marked or if they are unmarked. Seeing as they probaly bought V6 chargers and they are unmarked they are saving money. First the v6 will get better gas milage than the crown vic's and also if they dont have to spend extra money on paint or vinyls they are saving money that way also.
    Someone claimed they see no reason they should have them. Well maybe at this very instant they do not need them but, the one time they do someone is going to be grateful they do have them.
    03-05-09 03:21 PM
    I'm not literally saying they are lying to someone. I just think its weird that they are all hemi v8 chargers, I know they can get grants I work for a police department (hense the name) but I just don't think a department that is probably 8 square miles needs to have 5 unmarked cars with no highways, all back roads which are all 2 lanes and the only 'major road' is route 30 which again is 2 lanes. I could see why they would need them if I95 were around here, but for not having anything major its totally wasteful spending, even more so in this economy.

03-05-09 03:47 PM
    Just for arguments sake just because your username says youre a cop does not mean you are one. However I dont think the unmarked vehicles is the big deal here. Id be more concerned why do they need the v8 hemi's vs buying the v6. Especially if they do not have highways. But like I said maybe the town had money to spend and/or they did get a nice federal grant.
    03-05-09 03:52 PM
    Sounds like you live in/near adams county

03-05-09 04:21 PM
    I too live in SE PA, and the amount of cop cars is unbelievable. Every Township has their own police department and there probably 30 Townships in my county so I'm guessing btwn 300 and 600 cop cars.

My answer to the original question is that they have all those plain brown wrappers for speed traps. They certainly have plenty in my area.
    03-05-09 06:13 PM
    I live in NE Pa, and the town i live in is honestly 10 blocks wide, and 10 blocks deep...we have about 15 cops, and they have 6 or 7 V8 Hemi Chargers...with all the optional equip they're worth about $300,000 total. There is NO reason for this!!! They could have gotten crown Vic's for $29,000 with all the equipment (the neighboring town just got one), and probably saved at least $100,000. The highest posted Speed limit in the town is 35 Mph, and there's really no where to go faster that say 50-60, and they have these suped up cars, But you should see how the damn cops drive...it's crazy...I love on the busiest corner in the town, and the cops come around the corner all the time (where the is a school bus stop) with the tires screetching..and this is just patrolling...no lights, no sirens!!! When they have the lights and sirens on they go even faster around the turn...I understand having to get to a call fast, but they are going to kill someone soon!!! It's NuTz!!!
    03-05-09 07:57 PM
    The thing is... if they had an "aging fleet" and needed new vehicles, it only makes sense for them to get the best for the least they can. Here in AZ, they use Crown Vics... Mustangs, Expeditions... but they have to have them converted. Very expensive. Maybe the Charger package offered them a lot of bang for the buck, so to speak. Sadly, they have to plan for the worst case scenario, like when they need to do a somewhat high speed chase, although, they are getting more and more dangerous to carry out... I guess what I am saying is, when YOU need a cop, better that they have a good, solid reliable vehicle, painted or not... than some old clunker. I doubt stealth is their main objective in getting these.
    03-05-09 08:57 PM
    A lot of times undercover cars come from drug busts. If they seize the car, they can put the police package in it and use it.

03-05-09 10:03 PM
    support the police. Who cares. When they come save your ****-hope they get there fast !!!
    03-05-09 10:06 PM
    As a dispatcher I've talked to many cops and not only was the charger cheaper for them to buy then a crown vic it is better suited as a cop car. A v6 motor will also fail earlier under the conditions monst officers put their car through. Most municipalities in my area are small and do have their own police depts. The have tight budgets and by the most economical cars they can. Cheap isn't always cheap in the long run

03-05-09 10:16 PM
    I love on the busiest corner in the town, and the cops come around the corner all the time
    Yeah, I bet they do!
    Pretty sure prostitution is still illegal there.

Just kidding everybody..........please, no hate posts.
    03-05-09 10:41 PM
    I live in a moderately sized village outside of Chicago. Our police department has a huge fleet of vehicled both marked and unmarked. Many of the unmarked cars were acquired from major and minor drug busts. Dealers tend to have fast cars. Nice of them to hand them over to the local PD's. Gotta love the irony of it all.

03-05-09 11:03 PM
    There are a large number (close to the infinite threshold) of 'how is this justified?' examples...the question this topic poses is probably at the bottom of that totem pole's footing.

03-05-09 11:09 PM
    sounds like they want more cop cars than people ..lollol
    that is a total waste of money hands down
    03-05-09 11:50 PM
    Hey, the cops like to roll in style on their way to Tim Hortons, it's just how it is..
    03-08-09 12:36 PM
    The Aspen Colorado police force recently traded in their Saab cruisers in for Toyota Highlander gas-electric hybrid SUVs. These agencies are using Homeland Defense funds and from selling seized property from the war on drugs to buy their cars.

03-08-09 03:19 PM
    The towns I grew up in on the west side of Cleveland have mustangs, chargers, a 'vette, jeeps, expeditions, F150s, and Ram 1500s. Some of them are marked, and some aren't marked, but they were all confiscated from illegal activity (mostly drugs). Maybe they got some from there. They also auction off the active police cars once they reach 50-60K miles and buy new ones, so they are sure to have fresh, reliable vehicles.

Let them have whatever they need to do their job to the best way possible. I don't know if the Crowne Vic is cheaper than the Charger, but the Charger is going to do a better job as a pursuit vehicle.
    03-09-09 02:44 PM
    Well they want to stop whatever is going down in your town has to be something to be justified its like that here tons of unmarked but its huge drug problem at moment Ontario ..

03-09-09 03:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD