There's plenty of talk about how we baby our precious mobile phones, spending more money on accessories than what the phone costs itself...

How about sharing the times your Blackberry has taken some abuse from its owner? Whether it was stark naked, skimpily dressed with a full body skin protector, or fully clothed with an OtterBox when it happened, let us know!

Personally I drop my devices more times than I would admit. Back when I still had my Curve 8520, 3-foot drops were common especially when my BB rang its alarm in the morning. 4-foot drops when my friends swinged their arms while talking, conveniently flinging my device onto the ground. A 5-foot drop when I was carrying a stack of books with both hands and decided to put my BB on top of it.

Fortunately, I had a Case-Mate Smart Skin for it and it preserved my Curve well through all of this. What about you?
    09-20-10 10:02 AM
    I work in the automotive industry, mine have taking their fair share of beatings.... all i can do is thank otterbox for making a GREAT product in the Defender lineup.
    09-20-10 10:09 AM
    What kind of beating?

I'm sporting an OtterBox Commuter right now for fear of shattering the glass on my S2. Used to carry an Epik Case but felt that it did not offer much protection.
    09-20-10 10:22 AM
    I am deeply surprised I never broke my Bold 9000... I have dropped it about 6 feet in the air straight onto concrete... hot metal chips landing on it, jumped in the swimming pool with it, umm.... kicked it, stepped on it... I think thats about it lol and that was with no protection. That is the main reason why I stuck with blackberry because the amount of abuse I have given that phone I am not sure how many other phones could do take that, lol
    09-20-10 10:52 AM
    What kind of beating?

I'm sporting an OtterBox Commuter right now for fear of shattering the glass on my S2. Used to carry an Epik Case but felt that it did not offer much protection.
    Drops, oil falling on the screen protector, wrenches falling on it, getting tossed in the tool box...
    09-20-10 11:10 AM
    Pearl 8130 + otterbox defender+ 12 pack of beer = a nolan ryan at a garage door to prove how tought the case was!
    Worked as planned, phone still functions 100% and the case was fine

Still use the phone as my backup!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-10 11:29 AM
    besides the fact that my storm has the tendancy to go "flying" thru the air on to the floor...wood cement ect down stairs...

my dog loves it as a chew toy! He has successfully put i tuppy teeth thru the camera...cracked the screen and chewed most of the plastic parts where you can see teeth mark...id provide pictures later
    09-20-10 11:37 AM
    I keep my phone in a rubber case and besides multiple drops I spilt a martini on my phone...
    09-20-10 12:00 PM
    I keep my phone in a rubber case and besides multiple drops I spilt a martini on my phone...
    lol - poor martini!

ive spilt many a glasses of whiskey on my keyboard before...keyboards + alcohol = very bad combo
    09-20-10 12:27 PM
    Liquid onto your BBs and they survive?

I've thoughts about going bare on my S2. I really love how it looks like that, but I've no confidence of not dropping it or something. Poor me. I can only admire the sleek design at the comfort of my home. And even then there's some potential risk of me doing something stupid to it.
    09-20-10 12:36 PM
    I have absolutely no regimen for protecting my phone(s). It's a damn tool. I also
    DO NOT insure these things.

In my history I have dropped my phone down every stair of the Traveler's Tower (
    all concrete), carried it in to structure fires and accident scenes, drop it at least
    3 times a day, dropped one (Pearl) into a cup of tea, use as a door chock when I forget
    my keycard, and generally "abuse" the thing to extremes.

It is a phone people. Nothing more, nothing less. This idea of protecting it as if
    it were a holy artifact is not only silly but complete anathema to me.
    09-20-10 02:44 PM
    Umm..poor me, I wasted a perfectly good drink !!!

lol - poor martini!

ive spilt many a glasses of whiskey on my keyboard before...keyboards + alcohol = very bad combo

Yup!! And it was a strawberry martini too . I just wiped it down with rubbing alcohol to get rid of the sugar. I then pulled out the battery & in 3 days my bb was up & running - good as new.

Liquid onto your BBs and they survive?

I've thoughts about going bare on my S2. I really love how it looks like that, but I've no confidence of not dropping it or something. Poor me. I can only admire the sleek design at the comfort of my home. And even then there's some potential risk of me doing something stupid to it.
    09-20-10 04:18 PM
    but you wasted a strawberry martini- thats the shocking part of youre tale

haha
    09-22-10 06:50 AM
    Ha I dropped my 9650 walking outta the sprint store onto the concrete and also dropped my 8530 into a gin bucket at a party ha curve died but bold came back for more. Only a slight blemish on the bezel

09-22-10 09:09 PM
    This made me laugh:

lol - poor martini!

LOL ... yeah but ...alcohol + posting online in forums = even worse combo
    ( Not that I am in any way at all implying that you were "runk" ... just sayin in general LOL )
    09-23-10 09:15 PM
    I punched mine before out of anger...cracked the screen...I felt horrible...it was my red 8330m...have never abused my berry again..

09-30-10 04:34 AM
    I remember holding my 9000 in my hand earlier this year and dropping it as I went down the stairs. It was in a thin skin case and even though it easily flew about 5 feet across and 3 feet down it came out perfectly unharmed.

Unfortunately, a few weeks ago I dropped my Torch and the screen cracked. The irony of it relative to me dropping my Bold is that it was in an Otterbox Commuter case. I've gotten a replacement, but now I'm extremely paranoid with my Torch. I will NEVER let it happen again.
    09-30-10 09:37 PM
    My curve 8530...... Soooo ruined. The pause-play button is puleed off, the outer plastic rim is torn off, and the speaker cover gone bye-bye. Not to mention the most scratched up screen ever. In only 7 months too. :P

10-13-10 01:44 AM
    dropped my curve no telling how many times over past year=camera does not work. take to beach, heck i take it everywhere. Kailua beach oahu flour fine sand + tradewind not very berry friendly. had to replace battery because it got wet- from carrying in armband while hiking. took me a while to figure how it got wet....
    not a smart phone, but back when, I dropped my moto razr onto highway off ramp from motorcycle...retrieved it and it was fine. one tough phone
    10-13-10 05:48 AM
    I've dropped my BB so many times it's not funny. I've also willingly chipped off the silver paint on the trackball cover.
    11-01-10 03:36 PM
    Until yesterday, I had an 8330 that I got used 2 years ago - that thing ended up being dropped more times than I could count, and no, it never had a case on it. It got to the point where I wasn't even alarmed when I dropped it, because I knew it would still work just fine.

Now I have a Torch, and it is shiny and pretty and new, so I am much more paranoid about dropping it. I don't think it would withstand the abuse quite as well
    11-06-10 12:29 PM
    Dropped it a few times, the device still works fine.
    11-08-10 01:36 PM
    I'm terrible at throwing my BB in the same pocket I have my keys in.... In case you haven't had the pleasure of making that mistake I'll tell you right now, Keys + BB = really big awww F**K moments. The Otterbox commuter case rocked on my curve 8520 and helped a lot. Still had to eventual get a holster to avoid this type of damage tho, otterbox cases + holsters are pricey but you get what you pay for.
    11-08-10 02:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD