So....as the topic says how does bbry intend to get back?

what i mean is their pricing is really steep even for the older devices.
    Maybe in the US or UK the carrier locked variants maybe cheap but in India where all phones are unlocked the Z10 is for around Rs 44,000 that is around 800-900$ mark i think. And there was a article, if i remember correctly mentioned that bbry intends to price Q10 at Rs 55,000. with such ridiculous pricing how blackberry intend to sell their devices?
    even the older gen 9900s and other OS7 devices have barely dropped in price!

technically speaking the hardware also isnt very high end, by that i mean not quad core like other flagships.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    05-03-13 08:44 AM
    I think they'll sell to people with expendable cash lying around in their gold filled Scrooge-McDuck bank vaults.
    05-03-13 10:40 AM
    Two terms at play..... High End... and Margins.... In my opinion BB has done this right..... hit the high end market first with the idea of re-establishing the brand... then roll out mid and low end... the high end phones have the advantage of high margins... meaning BB makes a good profit on each high end phone where in the mid and low end level less money is to be made.... oddly the low end market is even more cut throat that the high end... budget conscious consumers usually have price as opposed to features as their main consideration for purchases.... as the race to the bottom continues ( Nokia comes to mind ) you have to wonder how many low end phones BB would have to sell to match the profit they make on the high end models......
    05-03-13 10:51 AM
    wait!!!

then why not lower the prices on older gen phones like the 9900.
    i mean the price is basically unchanged!?!

besides Rs50000($1000) for a phone?!? that has just come into the market with an unproven OS? is that logical?

I would have agreed if they priced it at around rs47000, 950$
    even phones like s4 and htc one are cheaper coming at 41000(810$) and 42000(approx $850)respectively. any sane man/woman child would know that those two phones pack more power, a greater library of apps. maybe not enough security but that can be over come by an antivirus app no?

05-03-13 11:55 AM
    UPDATE:

Okay, price speculation seems to hve come down to rs50000(1000$)

an ***** site is quoting rs28000(560$), absolute BS
    I mean uk guys/girls hve it for rs48000(900$+)
    05-03-13 11:56 AM
    So just saw the news:

Q10 selling like hot cakes in canada and uk.

i assume carrier locked ones? is this their strategy? make it extremely pricey for big markets like india, and thanks to carrier subsidization in other countries they will get profit?

05-03-13 09:58 PM
    They intend to get back in the game with BlackBerry 11, which will be announced at BlackBerry Live in mid May as "Coming Soon!"

"Shortly after" BlackBerry 11 is launched PlayBook will get BlackBerry 10.

I jest.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 10:48 PM
    They intend to get back in the game with BlackBerry 11, which will be announced at BlackBerry Live in mid May as "Coming Soon!"

"Shortly after" BlackBerry 11 is launched PlayBook will get BlackBerry 10.

I jest.

Posted via CB10
    even if you 'jest' lets assume BB11 will be coming. and just like the previous devices your Z10 aint getting an upgrade. how does that work out? buy another 900$ phone?

i guess most people here use carrier locked mobiles....

05-04-13 03:06 AM
    even if you 'jest' lets assume BB11 will be coming. and just like the previous devices your Z10 aint getting an upgrade. how does that work out? buy another 900$ phone?

i guess most people here use carrier locked mobiles....

That would be as cruel and cynical a move to sell BlackBerry 11 phones as how OS 6 users were cut off from upgrading to OS 7 when that update was originally supposed to be 6.1 just to boost sales of OS 7 phones when BlackBerry needed the money from users upgrading their handsets. OS 6 phones never got a 6.1

Hopefully BlackBerry have learned from that. The fact that BB10 is coming to PlayBook is a good sign that they see the value in giving users at least one major software version upgrade in their hardware's life cycle. PlayBook has actually had a major upgrade from Tablet OS 1.x to PB OS 2.x already but that's more to do with how lacking Tablet OS 1.x was at launch.

BlackBerry have a history of releasing lots of minor version upgrades for their phones and some major versions too.

OS 4.0 phones got 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 and 4.5

The Bold 9000 was releasd with 4.6 and got 5.0 soon after. In truth 4.6 should have been called 5.0 as it had 5.0's overhauled user interface so 5.0 should have been 5.1

The Bold 9700 was launched with 5.0 but later got a major upgrade to 6.0

All major players in the mobile market have been guilty sometimes of cutting off hardware from software uprades before their user's were willing to upgrade the hardware. Apple cut off the original iPad at iOS 5.x last autumn, no new OS features for them! But Apple are pretty good to their customers overall at providing major software updates for older devices, the slow pace of evolution and lack of revolution in iOS must help.

And yes most people don't pay full price for an unlocked phone, they are on subsidised contracts with carriers so pay far less to upgrade, if anything at all.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 07:24 PM
    contracts must be so good for you guys.

blackberry's one of the major market happens to be india, lot of people here have blackberry phones and when you price a phone at 1000$ people stop looking at it as an option, too many mental factors come in to play for an unjustified price of the phone.

Besides the price of the bold 9900 has barely reduced, and is probably a bad option for buyers. simply speaking due to the high price of the new phones and bbry's sluggishness in responding to market changes is the cause of their current state. if they don't release lower end bb10 phones quicky like nokia did, then it will be hard for them to retain the already existing customers.

05-04-13 10:14 PM