my mom and many other people I meet refer to the horoscope

the zodiac sign

and how compatible one person is with another ...

well I think generalizing the entire population into just 12 groups based on the date they were born is a bit too much...

and to say what they will behave like ... and who they are compatible with or not...

I think there must be studies - where you take a huge group of people - say couples who are married over 40 years and their signs and there will be no correlation - completely random... are there any studies like that?

why do people read them?

more importantly if asked - many will insist that they know that it works ... just by self observation...

does it give them comfort? maybe if they feel lost they find directions in the general statements written in the horoscopes?

I am looking forward to an interesting discussion...

thank you...

PS I think the horoscope info is VERY generalizesed - and anyone can be made to believe it is for them

try this exercise - here is a top google result for Horoscopes :: [sign omitted] [substitute your sign here] Sign Characteristics

[substitute your sign here] Somewhat harsh, indolent, wealthy, unhappy, constipation, sickly, traveling, independent, expert astrologer.

Mothering, emotional and physical nurturance; experiences and imprinting during infancy and childhood; family, ancestors, heritage, relationships to the past; belonging, feeling "at home"; maternal love, caring; feeling supported by the world, that your needs are provided for; insecurities and fears if your needs haven't been fulfilled; possessiveness, "twisted love", inability to nurture others are negative expressions.

General behavior: [substitute your sign here - sign omitted] is one of the most difficult zodiac signs to understand. [substitute your sign here] can have many different personalities. Most [substitute your sign here] like to be at their home, and enjoy large families. You seem unsociable to some people, but you enjoy chatting and gossiping as much as anyone else. You tend to day-dream very often and can be found in a state of fantasy. You enjoy art, writing, and drama, but acting may not be a good career for you because of your tendency to Overact. [substitute your sign here] is the sign most likely to believe in the zodiac, as well as other psychic happenings. You make a loyal friend and also very patriotic.

Briefly: [substitute your sign here] get things done through the power of their emotional commitment. Not only do they aggressively work to accomplish the goals inspired by their own feelings, they also know how to appeal to the emotions of others. By making other people feel like family members, [substitute your sign here] effectively motivate others to get things done. They have to learn how to reach an emotional balance since they tend to be overly sensitive and moody.

Physical Fetaures: Some astrologers choose to associate [substitute your sign here]'s physical characteristics with being average or below average height, having an athletic body and short legs. Their athletic build allows for strong, confident people. They see [substitute your sign here] as usually having brown hair, a well-defined face, a tan complexion, a prominent forehead, penetrating eyes of green or blue, a shortish nose that curves straight or slightly up, and a full mouth with full lips and a wide smile, as well as long arms and fingers resting on defined hands. In essence, the upper body is proportionally well balanced in proportion to the lower, which may make for a rather smooth-going, attractive athletic appearance.

[substitute your sign here] beam when the full moon reflects from their rounded "lunar temples". Watch for the full deep eyes, the high forehead, the wide eyebrow plate and the small recessed jaw.
    Read more: Dreams Study | Horoscopes :: Cancer Zodiac Sign Characteristics
    10-21-12 05:38 PM
    Two things you say are correct and one I'm adding in.

1) Horoscopes are made in a very generalized manner in order to fit characteristics of everyone. People have many different attributes and a few (or even one) can be fit in the statements given.

2) Life is truly a wonder and people try to find meaning in life and justify their existence.

3) People fall into a continuum of externalizers vs internalizers. This is where we either think we control what is happening around us or other people/things control what happens to us. Those who are on the very far end towards externalizing what happens to them will be more susceptible to believing in horoscopes.
    10-22-12 09:22 AM