I want some help with hooking up my laptop to my tv. I found a cable that is USB to RCA. My question is, will I be able to just use that or will I need some software to help the computer send the correct signal to the tv?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-10 08:47 AM
    Depends... on your laptop, it's operating system, your tv, the tv inputs available, etc... Here is some info if you have Windows 7:

Connect your computer to a TV
    11-10-10 09:06 AM
    I have an Acer Aspire with two USB ports, a VGA port, and a headphone jack. I am using Windows 7 and want something fairly simple. Not that I cannot do complex, I just don't want to. I was hoping for a USB cable that I can plug into my tv and maybe a codec for windows media player or something similar. I know I can use a VGA to RCA or S video cable and then use another for 2.5 MM headphones to RCA. I was more wanting to just plug in the USB cable whenever I wanted to watch something on the big screen. I found the USB cable for almost nothing.

11-10-10 09:31 AM
    VGA cables and DVI cables do not carry sound. So you will need something to carry the sound. And programming to get 5.1 or greater surround sound.

11-10-10 09:31 AM
    I have a desktop top Windows Sleven computer hooked to my TV via VGA > VGA. Some of the newer flat screen LCD/LED/Plasma TV have VGA hook ups. With that being said all you'll need is a 3.5mm > RCA which is cheap and VGA > VGA and you are done. No Codecs needed.

11-10-10 09:33 AM
    I have a desktop top Windows Sleven computer hooked to my TV via VGA > VGA. Some of the newer flat screen LCD/LED/Plasma TV have VGA hook ups. With that being said all you'll need is a 3.5mm > RCA which is cheap and VGA > VGA and you are done. No Codecs needed.

I may end up going that route. I was really hoping for a way to use the USB adapter I found. Then I could have just one cable to plug in. Leave it next to the TV for when I need it.

11-10-10 10:36 AM
    You may have noticed that your turntable hooked up to the AUX input required you to have to turn the volume control on your receiver way up to match the volume level of other sources hooked up to it. That is because the signal level coming off a record player is much lower than any other standard source.

See if you have a PHONO input on the receiver and switch your turntable wires over to that instead - it should greatly improve the sound quality.

The answer to your question is "Yes!" First, you must determine if you have a spare input/output set of jacks on your receiver. Sometimes, when there is no TAPE imput, or that one is already in use, you can find a spare VCR 2 (or VCR B) input/output jack-set to use.

Remember though, that most receivers require the selection of a special button or switch for the TAPE MONITOR input to be heard, and this setting often overrides any other input you wish to hear, requiring a separate button-push to de-activate the TAPE MONITOR input. Its confusing, I know, and I've had so many panicked phone calls over the years from clients who didn't know why they couldn't access other sources all of a sudden: it was because the TAPE input was selected, effectively locking them out of any other source until they disengaged the TAPE input first.
    Last edited by ManikBhai; 11-17-10 at 12:15 PM.
    11-16-10 05:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD