I wanted to order a Nokia 6300 4G for research purposes so I can tinker with KaiOS. The phone type is incidental, I want the OS. KaiOS is proprietary, based on Linux, the Gecko engine from FireFox, Javascript, and HTML5. I believe it is easier to develop than Android. It enables more people in India to get a basic feature phone with simple but useful apps. You might say it is an uplifting platform.

Mozilla stopped development of firefox OS for several years but now it is updating Gecko which is important for KaiOS.

HMD uses all the Nokia symbols. Nokia no longer designs phones so they changed their logo. It's a confusing split.

HMD sees only the united states on their map of north america. You cannot open a HMD account if Canada is your country. Why is that?
    06-08-23 07:39 PM
    I wanted to order a Nokia 6300 4G for research purposes so I can tinker with KaiOS. The phone type is incidental, I want the OS. KaiOS is proprietary, based on Linux, the Gecko engine from FireFox, Javascript, and HTML5. I believe it is easier to develop than Android. It enables more people in India to get a basic feature phone with simple but useful apps. You might say it is an uplifting platform.

Mozilla stopped development of firefox OS for several years but now it is updating Gecko which is important for KaiOS.

HMD uses all the Nokia symbols. Nokia no longer designs phones so they changed their logo. It's a confusing split.

HMD sees only the united states on their map of north america. You cannot open a HMD account if Canada is your country. Why is that?
    HMD Global smartphones are sold in Canada.

But I would check the bands on any phone model not sold in Canada. Like that one.

Edit (from GSMArena):

"2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 17, 28, 66, 71 - Americas"

This is perfectly good if you get this variant.
    Last edited by conite; 06-08-23 at 09:40 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-08-23 07:49 PM
    I searched on Amazon and found the 8110 ugly banana phone. It has Android because international version.

I am looking for KaiOS which is probably sluggish on a smartphone, adequate on good featurephone
    06-08-23 08:31 PM
    I searched on Amazon and found the 8110 ugly banana phone. It has Android because international version.

I am looking for KaiOS which is probably sluggish on a smartphone, adequate on good featurephone
    If you read my post right above, the Americas variant of the 6300 4G is fine.

Just buy it from Amazon.com.
    06-08-23 09:41 PM
    >> Just buy it from Amazon.com.

Just did that. Finally the hunt is over. thank you much.
    06-08-23 10:37 PM
    >> Just buy it from Amazon.com.

Just did that. Finally the hunt is over. thank you much.
    Btw, KaiOS isn't easier to develop for. It exists only because it is a stripped down to bare-bones OS to run on extremely low-end hardware. Android is too feature-rich to scale down that low.

That's why it's popular in India, where they can be sold dirt-cheap.

It's a dumbphone+ OS.
    06-08-23 11:42 PM
    Btw, KaiOS isn't easier to develop for. It exists only because it is a stripped down to bare-bones OS to run on extremely low-end hardware. Android is too feature-rich to scale down that low.

It's a dumbphone+ OS.
    They do seem to still be offering a stripped down version of Android GO... I think the issue is LTE modems just didn't come with drivers for a non-Linux OS. So KaiOS and dumbed down version of Android were used... Punkt shows just how stripped down and basic Android can be made....

Same for KaiOS... so one vendors use of KaiOS might be very different from another's.
    06-09-23 07:33 AM
    They do seem to still be offering a stripped down version of Android GO... I think the issue is LTE modems just didn't come with drivers for a non-Linux OS. So KaiOS and dumbed down version of Android were used... Punkt shows just how stripped down and basic Android can be made....

Same for KaiOS... so one vendors use of KaiOS might be very different from another's.
    Android Go is still sized and designed for low-end smartphones - and doesn't scale down any further to dumbphones.

The "Android" that was used on the the Punkt was entirely custom. It was basically the kernel plus a few bits.
    06-09-23 07:39 AM

It's a dumbphone+ OS.
    I think cell phones exist in a continuum something like this:-
    Basic Phone -- Economy Feature Phone -- Android Feature Phone -- Elite Phones
    All are smart to some degree since they have computer chips and radio chips.

Some Nokia phones, such as 105 4G, for the international market have Android.
    It's technically possible to have either KaiOS or Android on a feature phone.

The cheap feature phone is like a seed which stimulates the economy so they can upgrade in future with bigger phones and cars.
    06-09-23 04:36 PM

Anyone curious about these little Nokia phones such as 6300 and 2780 on amazon.com should read the reviews which are very detailed and slightly positive.
    06-09-23 04:41 PM
    I think cell phones exist in a continuum something like this:-
    Basic Phone -- Economy Feature Phone -- Android Feature Phone -- Elite Phones
    All are smart to some degree since they have computer chips and radio chips.

Some Nokia phones, such as 105 4G, for the international market have Android.
    It's technically possible to have either KaiOS or Android on a feature phone.

The cheap feature phone is like a seed which stimulates the economy so they can upgrade in future with bigger phones and cars.
    Once 3G and below is shut down, 4G and 5G require data for VoLTE and such.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-10-23 06:56 AM