I am currently in the market for a new car. But this will be my first time buying a car, so let me ask, would leasing it be better than just buying it?

I am looking at a 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 crew cab. It has 4x4, tow package, leather, on star, all that good stuff with only 8 miles on it. I could buy used, but with employee discount, and rebates I could get brand new for same price as every used I have looked at, so I might as well buy new.

If I lease it would be cheaper monthly, and my brother has leased before, and he said its not as bad and he actually preferred it. My mom is my financial advisor and she said I should lease since this is my first car, then buy it after its up or get another brand new car or truck.

I can afford either lease or buy.

I need opinions on which would be better.

Thank you for your input.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-09 01:32 PM
    Generally leasing is good if you plan to change cars (trucks as the case may be) often. If you plan to have it for a while then buying is the way to go.
    05-06-09 01:44 PM
    Also leasing is a no go if you drive over 12k to 15k a year or if You like to mod anything....
    05-06-09 01:53 PM
    If you are going to lease, remember that it's kinda like renting for a longer period of time. You can use it as transportation, but can't do everything you want to with it.

As the above post states, there are the mileage restrictions, too. And you go over the limits, the charges are like using data without a plan, and those fees add up fast!

Determine your needs and level of commitment. Short term, lessing is a reasonable option. Extended over the long term, well, owning is not a bad way to go, either.

05-07-09 03:10 AM
    I always lease cuz I never have the money to buy it upfront.. I'd buy it, gets your useage outta it and then sell it when your ready
    05-07-09 12:00 PM
    Whatever you do don't lease and then buy it at the end.. They're never worth what the projected residual value is...

05-07-09 12:21 PM
    Thank you all for the input.

05-08-09 09:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD