Hi all you mega computer savvy ppl!
    My son, age 17, downloaded a CURRENT movie without my knowledge. Well, long story short, we are now being watched by our carrier.
    I allowed them (and myself) to download music from Limewire. Yes, no lectures please!!! i KNOW its not legal. neither is driving above the speed limit but LOTS of ppl do it.
    OK, so now what do I do? Does anyone know an under-th-radar way to download music from the internet.
    Thanks,
    Kelizrm
    04-06-09 03:21 PM
    many lulz indeed..quit pirating ****.

neways

could try using proxy servers and torrents, but carriers arent ******** and know if your engaging in piracy just by the sheer amount of data being used
    04-06-09 04:12 PM
    I like Ares Galaxy better. Limewire has a lot of viruses that lurk. As far as the under the radar way, the only really safe way is to not share the files you download or maybe using a proxy. There are a lot of programs out there like Peer Guardian that will hide your IP address so that your carrier cannot see what you are doing.
    04-06-09 04:20 PM
    There are a lot of programs out there like Peer Guardian that will hide your IP address so that your carrier cannot see what you are doing.
    Peer Guardian does not hide your IP address. It maintains a list of known IP addresses for anti piracy companies, record labels, studios etc... and blocks those IPs from connecting to you. An ISP that does traffic shaping will know what you're doing regardless of peer guardian.

A VPN would be the safest connection, as it's an encrypted tunnel that your ISP has no visability into. But as devil said above they can still see large amounts of bandwidth.
    04-06-09 04:27 PM
    Peer Guardian does not hide your IP address. It maintains a list of known IP addresses for anti piracy companies, record labels, studios etc... and blocks those IPs from connecting to you. An ISP that does traffic shaping will know what you're doing regardless of peer guardian.

A VPN would be the safest connection, as it's an encrypted tunnel that your ISP has no visability into. But as devil said above they can still see large amounts of bandwidth.
    I stand corrected then. Either way, I use it and works well. I don't really mess with movies though and that's what most people get in trouble for.
    04-06-09 04:33 PM
    Get a MAC address spoof software. Before you download any songs etc spoof your MAC address and when you're done spoof it again. IP addresses are tied to your MAC addresses so by spoofing it your service provider might not be able to zoom in on you.
    Oh and do use it responsibly . As for limewire, I used to use it very briefly. Soulseek is good. Maybe you wanna check it out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by squish101; 04-06-09 at 06:27 PM.
    04-06-09 06:23 PM
    Get a MAC address spoof software. Before you download any songs etc spoof your MAC address and when you're done spoof it again. IP addresses are tied to your MAC addresses so by spoofing it your service provider might not be able to zoom in on you.
    Oh and do use it responsibly . As for limewire, I used to use it very briefly. Soulseek is good. Maybe you wanna check it out.

Lol. That is not going to work. First if you have cable most cable providers have static IP addresses. On top of that most of the modems have their own mac address and don't inherit them from the PC it is connected to. DSL requires a log on and the modem will also have a mac address. So mac spoofing is not going to work there. Not to mention the providers give you a device, its not like they don't keep track of where they are going.
    04-06-09 07:09 PM
    Lol. That is not going to work. First if you have cable most cable providers have static IP addresses. On top of that most of the modems have their own mac address and don't inherit them from the PC it is connected to. DSL requires a log on and the modem will also have a mac address. So mac spoofing is not going to work there. Not to mention the providers give you a device, its not like they don't keep track of where they are going.

lol. didnt know that you download your mp3s and movies to your modem. IMHO it's your desktops which the service provider is gonna go after and hence the MAC and IP address of your desktops. By spoofing the MAC address of your desktops there is no way that the service provider could track you. Ok so your modem may have its own MAC address which your desktop does not inherit. but hey it's not only your desktop that uses the modem to access the internet. For all I know you can have more than one desktops using the same modem. So the point now is who actually downloaded the mp3s or movies "illegally" when you have 4 or 5 desktops using the same modem to surf the internet on the records on any given day?
    Last edited by squish101; 04-06-09 at 08:47 PM.
    04-06-09 08:45 PM
    Well, I'm at home, so all the desktops would be mine. That shoots that argument. We r using a wireless network so all devices r off of one modem. Are laptops safer? So I guess my question is a technical one: how exactly DO they track downloads.

04-06-09 10:14 PM
    They can track it multiple ways, the could use traffic shaping, which means they have equipment analyzing data flowing through your connection. Other ways are that antipiracy groups are logging information. For example and this applies to both limewire and torrents, you connect to multiple people on a download. The anti piracy group sets up a dummy connection and logs all the ips of people download copyrighted material and fowards that on to the ISPs.

ISPs don't need a real reason to cut off your service. It doesn't matter which PC the stuff is happening on, if they notice what they deem to be copyright infingement they can just cut you off.

Now if an organization such as the RIAA wanted to sue somebody they would need more information than just an IP downloading a song or two. In the past they have gone after people sharing material. Many times they've got it wrong in court, but they whole idea with them is to scare you and get you to settle with them for a couple thousand dollars.
    04-06-09 10:25 PM
    I didn't even know people still used limewire. Weird.

04-06-09 11:21 PM
    The anti piracy group sets up a dummy connection and logs all the ips of people download copyrighted material and fowards that on to the ISPs.
    exactly. but all you got is a spoof mac address and an ip address tied to this spoof mac address. well anyways I think you're more knowledgeable than me and I definitely learn something from you.

Well, I'm at home, so all the desktops would be mine. That shoots that argument. We r using a wireless network so all devices r off of one modem. Are laptops safer? So I guess my question is a technical one: how exactly DO they track downloads.
    yeah...wireless would be the best for this spoof MAC address thing to work.

having said it all, if you wanna "safer way" of having your favourite songs or tunes, youtube could be it. To download vidz off youtube in mp4 format, do send me a pm and I'll guide you along. From mp4 you can separate the audio and video formats and leave the video format and have your mp3 audio.
    04-06-09 11:35 PM
    torrents or warz sites
    04-07-09 12:07 AM
    Squish...I will pm u in the morning. Thanks tons to all who contributed!!! I guess YouTube it is!!!!!

04-07-09 11:22 PM
    Hey Kelizrm. Who is your internet service provider? Just wondering because I guess some people will watch you, and others wont. I've got lots of movies and music on my computer. Stuff downloading right now too And I'm sure my sisters are doing the same. We've never had a warning...
    04-07-09 11:37 PM
    You could just use one of these sites and actually pay for your music.

$0.09 to $0.20 a song or $1.02 to $2.20 an album.

Sound quality is typically very consistent and they have a wide variety of music.

Cheap and it won't get you into trouble.

Comparison Matrix | SongBoom
    04-07-09 11:49 PM
    Yeah but for some people, even if it's only 10 cents a song, that's still over $100.... Alot of money considering we get it for free
    04-08-09 12:00 AM
    back-space lol its cuz people who are in CANADA can download lol they didn't get that stupid law to pass here like they have in the u.s.a where if u download your isp or who ever the case may be will pin ya u will get a call or be told, also what could of happened is if u pay 20 or 40 or 60 a month from what most isp's will give u u have a download cap 20gigs,60gigs,80gigs or higher and if u pass that which u should not but if u did they can cut your net right off or u will have to pay for every gig that is downloaded after that..anyways why i love canada right now lol
    04-08-09 04:49 AM
    plus p2p programs are lame lol BT is the way to go now an days
    04-08-09 04:51 AM
    Yeah but for some people, even if it's only 10 cents a song, that's still over $100.... Alot of money considering we get it for free
    Another option is to get Firefox, get the add-on downloadhelper and use slacker. With this you can download any song that plays.

That is completely free.

Only drawback is that the mp3s are at 128kbs.
    04-08-09 07:40 AM
    Charter communications (cable)

04-08-09 03:55 PM
    Oh okay. I didn't know we didn't get monitored up here. Sucks to be you guys! Now excuse me while I upload all the movies I've been videotaping
    04-08-09 05:01 PM
    ive been hit with one warning so i just minimized huge torrent downloads as i used to do liek 10 gig files but nothing can totally protect u
    04-11-09 01:28 AM
    How big was the file
    04-15-09 03:04 PM
    i would use torrents....... demonoid or STmusic, i think STmusic is down right now
    04-15-09 03:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD