Hi all,

Back in August I purchased a 1000HE netbook from ASUS (purchased on Amazon) for work purposes.

I have a weird problem occuring off and on that has been around since day one. It seems that at boot up time, some keys don't work. But if I let the unit sit for 5-10 minutes it "clears" up.

I am reluctant to ship it back to ASUS given the time and effort to set it up and I don't want to be without it totally (remember, after I let it sit for a few minutes, all appears well).

I don't know if it is the keyboard, the power supply, or something else. But I am trying things one step at a time. I am having ASUS send me a new keyboard. They will send, but won't send directions. I can't imagine it would be too difficult (based on some Googling).

The first they say on the phone support always is "have you done a system restore". I hate that. That is not the solution. I mean, it was a problem from the get-go. I won't do that.

I am also going to try and work with them so that I don't have to give them my credit card number for the cross shipment. I know they want the CC# in case I don't send the "old" keyboard back, but I just don't trust them to keep my CC info safe. We should be able to find a middle ground somewhere in here.

Anyways, I am looking to the real laptop hardware experts here to offer any thoughts and suggestions for things I may be able to try before getting too deep into this.

The 1000HE is supposed to be one of the best netbooks out there, and I am just not there yet given this weird problem.

Thanks ahead of time for any help you are able to provide!!!!
    02-08-10 08:09 AM
    Get this, the way they want the Credit Card info sent to them to "authorize" the RMA Cross shipment is via Fax.

The auditor in me just won't do that given the insecure nature of Fax in general and the possibility that the printout could fall off the fax machine and be picked up by someone intent on stealing the info.

I think before I authorize them to do anything at all, I may contact Amazon and let them know the troubles I am having. I would rather see if I can arrange a swap with Amazon. They have always been good to me.
    02-08-10 08:39 AM
    Amazing.....Amazon is willing to RMA the netbook at this point for a full refund. Now, one could say, if you're willing to do that, why not just send it back to the mfr and let them try and fix things. But I just don't trust their ability to turn it around and know 100% that I am getting a fully functional unit back.

At least with Amazon (who has proven to me time and again to have top notch customer service), I would geta full refund, and then can start fresh with a new unit/purchase.

I just have to go through some motions first:

Remove all personal data
    remove added memory chip and put original back in
    remove Norton, Office, and other licensed software
    etc....
    02-08-10 09:20 AM
    For that matter, perhaps I do a system restore on my own first, not that I expect that to help at all......
    02-08-10 09:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD