I'm personally getting a Asus Eeepc 1000HE. It offers all I need (100+ hdd space, 8+ hours battery, wireless n) - is comfortable to use (excellent keyboard) - and offers all of this for a decent price. I should be getting mine within the next month; as my current laptop is slowly dying I think it's time.
    04-11-09 02:13 PM
    Out of curiosity, while I'm still weighing the comparison of devices, how do ya'll carry your netbooks?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-14-09 02:45 PM
    Ok after taking detailed comparisons, I've noted that SSD is on very few models so it appears HDD is the way to go. However how much space is taken up by the OS? And how much preloaded software? Would 12GB SSD / flash be too little? Can memory cards be used like extra HDs are extra space on a PC? And here are my preliminary choices unless newer models come out before I commit to buying:

Eee pc 1000HE: this appears to be newest though I read news of one coming with an optical drive. Big positives for this one best battery to date and b/g/n wifi. Price is upper middle of range.

Eee pc 901: appears to have a similar battery to the 1000HE based on specs from asus site. Also has b/g/n wifi. Has 20GB flash with linux and 12GB with xp. Why is the size of the drive different based on OS? Other models and brands have same sizes and larger capacity for both windows and linux so it can't be a limitation thing.

Aspire one: only variation between models is 120 or 160GB HD, external mouse or touchpad, and color as far as I can tell. Obviously sticking to the better 6-cell battery in them.

Dell mini will be an option if they offer a larger capacity battery to get a comparable about 7+ hours. According to reviews just over 3 hours is about all you get. Which is a shame because it appears that the dell is the most versatile for upgrading. Where as I read the aspire one has an open pcie but no connectors and gaining access to components is hard. I haven't found upgrade info for eee pc or more details than listed. Any upgrade experiences anyone would like to share? It seems 1GB RAM is what all brands and models come with. Is that the max they all can have? Is there any hardware that can't be upgraded or replaced if need be?

04-14-09 10:19 PM
    After factoring in the prices and it appears that I get the most for the cost with the Eee pc 1000HE. Looking into upgrade info it appears that it can also be upgraded to 2GB of RAM which will be good down the road for installing a newer OS like windows 7. I may experiment with dual booting it with different linux distros. I have vista on my home PC but it's not exactly a great OS, not as solid as XP but not nearly as bad as M.E. DX10 gaming outweighs the periodic problems I experience (almost tracked down the causes).
    04-15-09 10:59 AM
    Out of curiosity, while I'm still weighing the comparison of devices, how do ya'll carry your netbooks?

I bought a bag for a portable DVD player which fits the ASUS 900 just about right.
    04-15-09 11:49 AM
    I was thinking today. How practical would it be to carry it around the waist? Like in some sort of leather case that attaches to a belt. Not like with a belt clip but perhaps has a leather loop that you slide the belt through. I also wear cargo pants all the time. I was thinking I could put it in one of the cargo pockets but it might be too big for that at least width wise. Or possibly any other hands free way of carrying it.

04-16-09 06:41 PM
    After factoring in the prices and it appears that I get the most for the cost with the Eee pc 1000HE. Looking into upgrade info it appears that it can also be upgraded to 2GB of RAM which will be good down the road for installing a newer OS like windows 7. I may experiment with dual booting it with different linux distros. I have vista on my home PC but it's not exactly a great OS, not as solid as XP but not nearly as bad as M.E. DX10 gaming outweighs the periodic problems I experience (almost tracked down the causes).
    2GB is nice, but not completely necessary until down the road IMO. Windows 7 runs perfectly on my AspireOne (although I also replaced the internal 160GB drive with a 32GB SSD). As for Vista, I trashed that a while ago
    I was thinking today. How practical would it be to carry it around the waist? Like in some sort of leather case that attaches to a belt. Not like with a belt clip but perhaps has a leather loop that you slide the belt through. I also wear cargo pants all the time. I was thinking I could put it in one of the cargo pockets but it might be too big for that at least width wise. Or possibly any other hands free way of carrying it.
    My vote would be no way. Another one of my toys is a Sony UX280P (pic below, 4.5" screen, but expensive device) ... and it came with a holster - and it's even too big and bulky. I'll keep my Storm on me instead

04-17-09 10:15 AM
    2GB is nice, but not completely necessary until down the road IMO. Windows 7 runs perfectly on my AspireOne (although I also replaced the internal 160GB drive with a 32GB SSD).
    Do you notice any difference in performance or battery life between when you had the HD compared to now with the SSD?
    04-17-09 10:35 AM
    Do you notice any difference in performance or battery life between when you had the HD compared to now with the SSD?
    It booted pretty quick with W7 with the regular drive, but the SSD is just a bit quicker. There isn't a huge difference out of the box between the two, but the speed difference and "seek" times will be far more noticeable as the drive gets older... because the SSD isn't going to slow down any
    04-17-09 10:45 AM
    Update:

I got the eee pc 1000he yesterday. I installed pc study bible and misc other apps I will be using on it and have tons of space left on the HD. Now that I have it in my hands I definitely see carrying it on the waist somewhere isnt practical but it is light so I can carry it other ways. I got it from bestbuy and the cases they had I wasn't impressed with. All of them were so bulky that they made the eee pc look minuscule.

I'm thinking some sort of shoulder bag perhaps. I don't need a backpack since I don't carry other things around but if I did use a backpack I'd put it in it. Anyone got any good ideas or can point me to some carry cases to look at?

Also on the inside panel there is a sticker that says up to 7 hours life but the eee pc website says 9.5 hours. Did they put the wrong sticker on it or did I get screwed and got the wrong battery in it and how can I find out if I have the wrong battery? If I got the wrong battery with it I will want to contact them so they can send me the proper one.
    Last edited by Stoneryno; 05-07-09 at 06:54 PM.
    05-07-09 06:52 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD