I have finally decided this is my last pack of smokes!

I would really like to hear from anyone who is an ex-smoker and how they finally decided to quit and what they did in order to never pick up another cigarette. I think my habit is completely disgusting, but it feels so good when I am getting that nicotine. Would love to read some stories and try any suggestions that you have done in order to kick this horrible habit to the curb.

Thanks!!
    02-19-09 07:09 AM
    I'm so proud of u!!!
    02-19-09 07:13 AM
    I'm so proud of u!!!
    I dead serious...I hope someone can give me some helpful advice besides the patch!
    02-19-09 07:14 AM
    Not a smoker, but my parents and aunt and uncle all smoked and successfully quit. My mom quit cold turkey and never looked back. She's a bio chemist and really new what smoking could do to you. I think that was incentive enough for her. My dad got hypnotized. One day he smoked, the next he didn't.

What my aunt and uncle did might help you. They went to smoke enders. Some of the techniques used include filling a jar with a little bit of water and zillion old butts. Every time you wanted a smoke you opened the jar and took a whiff. I can tell you it's a real good tool. Another was putting the money you would use to regularly buy smokes (pack a day or what ever) and stick it in a lock box. Give the key to someone else so you can't raid it and see how much money you have saved after a month. This was in the '70's and they still saved a small fortune.

Welcome to SmokEnders

Good luck.
    02-19-09 07:20 AM
    Not a smoker, but my parents and aunt and uncle all smoked and successfully quit. My mom quit cold turkey and never looked back. She's a bio chemist and really new what smoking could do to you. I think that was incentive enough for her. My dad got hypnotized. One day he smoked, the next he didn't.

What my aunt and uncle did might help you. They went to smoke enders. Some of the techniques used include filling a jar with a little bit of water and zillion old butts. Every time you wanted a smoke you opened the jar and took a whiff. I can tell you it's a real good tool. Another was putting the money you would use to regularly buy smokes (pack a day or what ever) and stick it in a lock box. Give the key to someone else so you can't raid it and see how much money you have saved after a month. This was in the '70's and they still saved a small fortune.

Welcome to SmokEnders

Good luck.

ewwww i am totally trying the cigarette butts in a jar of water thing. hopefully when i smell it i don't puke! def have to try that since my stepmom is also trying to quit. haha i can see us now...smell it no its your turn. puke!
    02-19-09 08:07 AM
    I'm 21 and smoked since i was about 16. Last year 08' new years I quit for 3 months and then started again. Now back to trying to quit again. I don't smoke at work at all, the hardest thing for me is not smoking while I'm in the car or when I'm out with friends who smoke or when I go to the clubs/bars. I don't buy nicorette, but when I put gas in my car I do buy a few packs of regular gum and mints that help kind of preoccupy me. I could also use a few unique ideas.

Good luck kamp!
    02-19-09 09:38 AM
    I'm 21 and smoked since i was about 16. Last year 08' new years I quit for 3 months and then started again. Now back to trying to quit again. I don't smoke at work at all, the hardest thing for me is not smoking while I'm in the car or when I'm out with friends who smoke or when I go to the clubs/bars. I don't buy nicorette, but when I put gas in my car I do buy a few packs of regular gum and mints that help kind of preoccupy me. I could also use a few unique ideas.

Good luck kamp!
    yea shame on me at lunch i went out and bought four more packs of cigarettes. yea shewing gum seems to help me out...but dang it sure is hard to try and stop. i smoke the most at work or during the weekend when its time to party.
    02-19-09 11:29 AM
    I'm not an ex-smoker, but my mother is, she's the last person in the world I thought would quit. she got on Chantix and it worked wonders. she said the cigarettes just didn't satisfy her anymore, and she didn't even crave them or want one once she was on it for a couple of weeks. she's been nicotine free for almost 2 years now, and she says even though she misses them and wants one every now and then, she's very glad she quit and wouldn't dare go back to it. good luck quitting, I know it's a very hard thing to do. you might really want to look into Chantix, it seems to be VERY effective.

I tried to quit smoking by dipping, but I think the hardest part to kick is the ritual of smoking itself.
    02-20-09 04:06 AM
    I'm not an ex-smoker, but my mother is, she's the last person in the world I thought would quit. she got on Chantix and it worked wonders. she said the cigarettes just didn't satisfy her anymore, and she didn't even crave them or want one once she was on it for a couple of weeks. she's been nicotine free for almost 2 years now, and she says even though she misses them and wants one every now and then, she's very glad she quit and wouldn't dare go back to it. good luck quitting, I know it's a very hard thing to do. you might really want to look into Chantix, it seems to be VERY effective.

I tried to quit smoking by dipping, but I think the hardest part to kick is the ritual of smoking itself.
    Well I might just have to check out that Chantix you are talking about.
    After I get rid of the 3 packs and a half I have left.
    Shame on me.
    02-20-09 08:19 AM
    I've been absolutely hating smoking for some time now. It's not that I enjoy smoking, I don't. I can't stand it anymore. I find that it's more of a habbit that I just do and don't think about. I have my own ritual. Every morning I wake up, grab some coffee, go out to the garage and have 2. I then get ready for work and have 2 more while waiting for the kids to get ready for school. 1 more after I drop the kids off. At work I go out twice for 1 smoke each time. At noon I have 1 on the way home for lunch and will have another 2 before I go back to work. Again, 1 more in the car for the drive back. I go out twice durring the afternoon and get my 2 in. 1 in the car on the way home from work. I will have another 5 or so throughout the evening. HOW PATHETIC IS THAT! It's terrible now that I have actually written it down and can see how stupid this is. I do not smoke in the house. I do not smoke in the car when the kids are present. I always feel like I better get one more smoke in. Truly pathetic. I've tried to cut back and quit smoking in the car before and didn't have too much of a problem with that. Like I said earlier, it's more of an automatic. Not that I want one, just a bad habbit. The only people that I know that quit did it cold turkey. I think it's now time. I'm on board with this thread.
    02-20-09 08:40 AM
    I've been absolutely hating smoking for some time now. It's not that I enjoy smoking, I don't. I can't stand it anymore. I find that it's more of a habbit that I just do and don't think about. I have my own ritual. Every morning I wake up, grab some coffee, go out to the garage and have 2. I then get ready for work and have 2 more while waiting for the kids to get ready for school. 1 more after I drop the kids off. At work I go out twice for 1 smoke each time. At noon I have 1 on the way home for lunch and will have another 2 before I go back to work. Again, 1 more in the car for the drive back. I go out twice durring the afternoon and get my 2 in. 1 in the car on the way home from work. I will have another 5 or so throughout the evening. HOW PATHETIC IS THAT! It's terrible now that I have actually written it down and can see how stupid this is. I do not smoke in the house. I do not smoke in the car when the kids are present. I always feel like I better get one more smoke in. Truly pathetic. I've tried to cut back and quit smoking in the car before and didn't have too much of a problem with that. Like I said earlier, it's more of an automatic. Not that I want one, just a bad habbit. The only people that I know that quit did it cold turkey. I think it's now time. I'm on board with this thread.
    WOW you smoke a ton of cigarettes and you have a schedule too? I figured there are a lot of people that would have some good advice to give people like us that are sick of smoking, but it is just a hard habit to kick. pm if you would like to exchange pins and we can support each other! Good luck!
    02-20-09 09:14 AM
    I used to smoke regularly 1-2 packs a day when I was in college about four years ago, then decided to quit during my last year.

The patch worked the best for me. I don't have a lot of patience, so I only did the patch for 3 weeks instead of the 10 weeks. Basically I used each step of the patch system for one week. Everybody is different when it comes to smoking. The hardest part is to get rid of the routine. I became accustomed to waking up, having a cup of coffee and a cigarette. That was the hardest part for me to change. For a while, I drank hot tea instead of coffee.

I also started to exercise more to keep my motivation up. Nothing tells you the benefits of quitting like trying to run two miles and having your lungs burn afterwards.

The most important part is to stay positive. I never slipped up during my quitting process, but most do. You have to realize that it is okay to have a cigarette here and there during the process. Lots of people become defeated thinking that since they cheated, they should just smoke the rest of the pack. Remember, if you cheat, it's okay, just don't smoke the rest of the cigarettes while in a mindset of defeat.

Unfortunately, I just started to smoke again after five years of not smoking. It is so easy to pick up that habit again, so once you quit, don't even try it again. Now I am trying the chewing gum instead. Good luck!!!
    02-20-09 12:20 PM
    I'll tell you what I told my roommate when he asked me how I quit.

Step one is don't buy any more cigarettes, the rest kinda falls into place after that.

This is my 3rd time I've quit and by far it's the longest. I smoked for almost 10 years and I still miss it even though I quit well over a year ago.

Most of the things I've read are against the patch or gum as that just keeps nicotine in your system longer which tends to draw out the quit. Things like quitnet helped me a lot too, there are forums and stuff over there that are nice to read and you get an e-mail on each "quit anniversary" to try and keep you on track.

Most importantly, for me at least, is to make sure you're quitting for you, don't do it for a friend, parent, co-worker, or anyone else.
    02-20-09 01:58 PM
    iv been slowly quitting for the past 2 years or so
    i used to smoke 3 packs a week and now im down to one or two packs a month
    i tried the cold turkey thing and that didnt work and i tried subing my brand for a brand i dont like and that didnt work and the gum tastes horrible and the patches are too expensive so i figured a slow, baby step type deal is the best way to go for me
    02-20-09 02:01 PM
    I'm a quitter. My mom died July 07 of Lung Cancer. We only had 7 weeks from diagnosis to her death.

I didn't quit right away--it took a year! I tried and I tried but I couldn't kick it.

I finally got on the patch...I agree w/previous posters that it only draws out the addiction. I dropped the patch and lasted 3 months without a single puff. I wasn't prepared for how I would handle going out and drinking and being around others who were still smoking.

After a really bad weekend lapse--I quit cold turkey and I haven't had a puff since. It will be officially one year in June.

My best advice is this: You will only quit and stay quit if YOU want it bad enough. I had the help of a quit smoking/nicotine addiction support board that I went to everyday when I needed to distract myself from the urges to smoke.

I also came clean to everyone around me and told them exactly what I needed them to say/do if I tried to ask for a smoke. Some supported me, others did not....I had to abstain from the non-supporting ones for a little while but in the end...they came around because they knew I was serious about my quit.

My motto today: NOPE-Not One Puff Ever.

I know that I have a 70% chance of developing lung cancer and dying before I see my children get married or have babies of their own. I'm going to do my best to live longer than my mom because she has missed soo much because of the habit that consumes every healthy ounce of your body and turns it into sh*t.

I'm not anti-smoking in any way for others. I don't spout the Quit smoking rhetoric to my friends. I love them enough to live longer than them so that I can pull their oxygen tank behind them when they get sick.

Its a sad addiction and I believe the toughest thing to break through.

I still have urges, but I chew gum, treat myself to something better when I've beat the urge.

The Money--I've saved over $300/month and I now have a fancy new Acura MDX SUV that I had been lusting for years--now I can afford it and everyday I get into it and am proud that I earned it by staying quit.

ok--I've blathered long enough...

Good luck to you and I hope you can kick smokings **** soon!
    02-20-09 02:13 PM
    Quit smoking app for your BB
    Quit Smoking Mobile 1.15
    The QSM app monitors your decreasing dependence on cigarettes, helping you to gradually increase the time between cigarettes.
    Download: OTA
    02-20-09 02:19 PM
    Quit Smoking Mobile 1.15
    The QSM app monitors your decreasing dependence on cigarettes, helping you to gradually increase the time between cigarettes.
    Niiiice! I wish had that when I was quitting!
    02-20-09 02:22 PM
    Quit Smoking Mobile 1.15
    That is awesome I am going to dl it right now!
    Thank you!
    02-20-09 02:56 PM
    Everyone thank you for all your amazing stories! I think all of these things are going to help me kick this habit in the ***! Also for others that are trying to quit good luck and pm me if you need someone to chat with!

Thank you all again!
    02-20-09 02:57 PM
    Download Failed!

=[
    02-20-09 03:05 PM
    Amber, this may sound over simplistic but you need to find that
    ONE overriding reason to do so. Mine was my little boy. I just
    wanted to give myself a fighting chance to see him grow up. He is
    3 and that is how long I have not smoked.

I stopped cold turkey the day he was born. He is that important
    to me.
    02-20-09 07:12 PM
    Why quit? You seem to really enjoy it. I think its really quite simple. If you don't mind getting getting one or more of the following: lung cancer, emphysema, erectile dysfunction, heart disease, cancers of the mouth, throat, bladder, pancreas, kidneys, premature aging, arteriosclerosis,stroke. Then smoke all day long and enjoy it.

Why fight it? I say enjoy breathing in the 4000 chemicals of which 200 are known poisons.

Hey if you enjoy rotting teeth and gums its your body and don't let anyone tell you different. Why torture yourself with quiting when you enjoy it so much I think.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-09 08:49 PM
    Of all the stories on here, ck said it best for me. That's the kind of attitude I have. Sometimes the blunt and in your face approach works best. I'm gonna look at that app too and see what that's about.

I think it's time!

02-21-09 06:21 AM
    Download failed for me too

02-21-09 06:30 AM
    well someone needs to go back to bed and get back up on the right side!
    02-21-09 09:35 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD