Why do people feel the need to announce their displeasure at random people on the internet to other random people on the internet?

These are not random people. These are people we hear from and interact with every day.

Belfast, I'm sorry to see you leave. As I posted in another thread, the absence of new products this year and the small amount of information about BB10 leads the community to turn on itself.

We'll keep your pew for you, just in case.
    07-14-12 08:43 PM
    ^^^^^^

Well said ubizmo.
    07-14-12 08:45 PM
    Take it easy. For a BlackBerry fan things are a bit now of downer right now. Hopefully RIM comes back with a vengeance.

Sent from my flip-phone.
    07-14-12 08:46 PM
    You should try to utilize the Ignore List more. I've added 3 to mine just from this thread...

Hope you reconsider.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    07-14-12 09:14 PM
    Belfast, I'm sorry to see you go.

To anybody else who feels the same as he about these forums -- and I cannot say I wholly disagree -- I have just one humble suggestion: don't be part of the problem. Follow forum rules, report the undesirables rather than engaging them when discussions deteriorate to arguments, and let the mods do their jobs.
    Last edited by sleepngbear; 07-15-12 at 04:30 AM.
    07-14-12 09:17 PM
    You should try to utilize the Ignore List more. I've added 3 to mine just from this thread...

Hope you reconsider.

I used to hate the idea of an ignore feature on a public forum, but sadly I had to start using the feature a while ago, and now have an extensive list, once you start, it gets easier to ignore the next, and the next.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-14-12 09:20 PM
    And this is a prime example of why you all can't have nice things, lol.

In other non-related news, catch ya later Belfast!
    07-14-12 09:22 PM
    Belfast, I'm be sorry to see you go.

To anybody else who feels the same as he about these forums -- and I cannot say I wholly disagree -- I have just one humble suggestion: don't be part of the problem. Follow forum rules, report the undesirables rather than engaging them when discussions deteriorate to arguments, and let the mods do their jobs.
    Bingo.. Perhaps the funniest thing about all this is the people who complain the most about the forums, do nothing to help it either. And that's the thing, some of the most reputable folks around here have become the same thing they're fighting against. There is no winning side here and there never will be. Quite honestly, we've banned a ton of folks (We've taken plenty of flack for it as well but the mod team isn't here to make friends) in the past week, some of which I wish we never had to and some I'm quite glad to of have seen go but that's part of the effort happening to help clean up these forums.

Everyday, we get new sign ups who just come into cause chaos and that will no longer be happening. New accounts, look like they're here for trouble are banned almost instantly and we're constantly going through posts of long term trollers now as new reported posts come in. Something to keep in mind when arguments break out, it's best to not add to it. No matter which side of the fence you are fighting for, fighting in the forums is frowned upon and actions will be taken.
    07-14-12 09:34 PM
    I used to hate the idea of an ignore feature on a public forum, but sadly I had to start using the feature a while ago, and now have an extensive list, once you start, it gets easier to ignore the next, and the next.
    I wish they would make it even easier. I'd love to see them add the "Add to Ignore List" option to the Drop-down menu when you click on someones name. I would use that a lot more than "add to Contacts". As it stands now, you have to go to the profile which shows you in their recently visited, then add to Ignore list, confirm and then it returns you to their profile. Too much interaction with a profile I want to ignore...
    07-14-12 10:00 PM
    I wish they would make it even easier. I'd love to see them add the "Add to Ignore List" option to the Drop-down menu when you click on someones name. I would use that a lot more than "add to Contacts". As it stands now, you have to go to the profile which shows you in their recently visited, then add to Ignore list, confirm and then it returns you to their profile. Too much interaction with a profile I want to ignore...
    You can do it from your control panel. the same place where you can "edit" your list you can add.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-14-12 10:09 PM
    And this is a prime example of why you all can't have nice things, lol.

In other non-related news, catch ya later Belfast!

In my opinion, regardless of what he did to get banned, he also contributed a lot to these forums. I'm not really following the need for the slam.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-14-12 10:12 PM
    In my opinion, regardless of what he did to get banned, he also contributed a lot to these forums. I'm not really following the need for the slam.

What I said was in no way a reference to Belfast or the reasoning for the ban. It was a point statement, for all those interested in reading it as to how things will be handled from here on out. If I in anyway had an issue with or wanted to say anything to Belfast, I would take it up with Belfast directly.
    07-14-12 10:19 PM
    Can't help but find it funny how this mirrors how posters would come on here and say how they are leaving BB but now its CB.
    07-14-12 10:29 PM
    What I said was in no way a reference to Belfast or the reasoning for the ban. It was a point statement, for all those interested in reading it as to how things will be handled from here on out. If I in anyway had an issue with or wanted to say anything to Belfast, I would take it up with Belfast directly.

Ok. It just seemed like you made a point to downplay his significance publicly. Maybe you also did that with him privately, regardless it seemed unnecessary to give him a shot on his way out.

07-14-12 10:34 PM
    Belfast, by all means take some time away, but come back. You're knowledgeable and passionate and your contributions will be missed.

IIRC, you got banned because you jumped into that donnybrook of a thread where it was suggested that "we all just get along". And you were only one of many...

Ahhhh, the irony...
    07-14-12 10:35 PM
    Ok. It just seemed like you made a point to downplay his significance publicly. Maybe you also did that with him privately, regardless it seemed unnecessary to give him a shot on his way out.

I didn't give him a shot on the way out, if that's how perceive it.. then so be it. But that was not the intent. In case you didn't notice, I deleted the negative comments saying he SHOULD have been banned, along with addressing the issue with one of the parties that made the comments but again, perception is yours.. I digress.

PS: My comment about nice things was also in reference to those saying he should have been banned, that was when I closed the thread, deleted comments and reopened it so that those who want to comment accordingly can do so. Again, perception.. it's a thorn in my side.
    07-14-12 10:45 PM
    I didn't give him a shot on the way out, if that's how perceive it.. then so be it. But that was not the intent. In case you didn't notice, I deleted the negative comments saying he SHOULD have been banned, along with addressing the issue with one of the parties that made the comments but again -- perception is yours.. I digress.

If that wasn't how you meant it then I apologize. It just came across that way to me but the fact you responded the way you did suggests I was mistaken.

07-14-12 10:51 PM
    He'll be back. The CB family (no matter how dysfunctional) is a hard one to leave. "Every time I think I'm out.. They pull me back in"
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    07-14-12 11:44 PM
    Belfast, I'm be sorry to see you go.

Best post yet in this thread.
    07-15-12 12:58 AM

I do not see anything offensive or uncharitable in Bla1ze's post.

Sometimes there are things that the Moderators know that are unknown to the regular forum users that shed more light upon the reasons for temporary or permanent bans.

In any event, Belfastdispatcher, I hope you will not always be a stranger. I definitely wouldn't mind sharing a pint with you if I ever made it abroad. I like Guinness and Strongbow. Bushmill's is darned good too. I do also like whisky.
    pantlesspenguin and reeneebob like this.
    07-15-12 01:05 AM
    I do not see anything offensive or uncharitable in Bla1ze's post.

Sometimes there are things that the Moderators know that are unknown to the regular forum users that shed more light upon the reasons for temporary or permanent bans.

In any event, Belfastdispatcher, I hope you will not always be a stranger. I definitely wouldn't mind sharing a pint with you if I ever made it abroad. I like Guinness and Strongbow. Bushmill's is darned good too. I do also like whisky.

I did and that is why I said what I did. And as I stated later, if i mistook his intent then I apologize.

07-15-12 01:26 AM
    Sad. I'll tip my next Bruticus to you, Belfast!
    07-15-12 01:45 AM
    A week's ban from this place made me realize what a bad place these forums have become for a true BlackBerry fan, nothing but constant fights and arguments with people that don't even own a BB anymore.

So it's time for me to exit (I will still be following the Crackberry blogs)

It hasn't been all bad, I had some fun too here, but it's definitely a goodbye from me.

BelfastDispatcher out.
    Awww my friend don't be so quick to go. Stick around and hold that "weeks ban" up as a badge of honor. Besides as we get closer to the BB10 release date you know you will be itching to come back so save the extra step and stick around.
    07-15-12 02:38 AM
    Farewell BD. You will still go down as the most persistent Blackberry supporter I've ever seen.
    07-15-12 04:17 AM
    While i don't know the OP other than some posts from him that i've read or glanced at, I don't get the reasoning behind the departure.
    Also why post about it?

But anyway, this is what happens if you have a large community forum that is considered the go-to source for Blackberry news, reviews, help, etc...
    It's open to everyone so they can post and express their opinions freely within the forum rules.

I do feel however that some threads should be trashed/redirected faster but this all comes down to moderator availability and moderator judgement. I can relate thanks to my own experience being an admin/moderator on a site with 1000+ new posts a day. You need a big staff to manage it all. No point in having 500 threads about the same issue but this is a whole other topic on itself...

ps: While i like the site and quality of the articles of the new forum you're migrating to, their forum software is a total joke. (<= my personal opinion)
    Last edited by wout000; 07-15-12 at 05:45 AM.
    07-15-12 05:40 AM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD