Here's a story that's currently unfolding for myself and my Q10, and shows the dangers of buying used phones online.

Yesterday I was using my Q10 as normal. When all of a sudden it stopped connecting to the Fido network, and kept saying emergency calls only. I called Fido thinking my bill was overdue and they had shut off my service. They told me that this was not the case and we began going through the usual troubleshooting, mainly battery pulls. After nothing worked, they told me it must be my sim and to go into a store and try and new sim. A little bit of googling later, I found that the error code I was getting could mean that the phone had been blacklisted. I went onto the Canadian Imei register and searched my phones imei... and to my dismay it came up that my phone had been reported lost or stolen. Now ive had the phone for 8 months, I bought it on kijiji on May 30th 2013 for 500 bucks. Looking back through my emails I have luckily been able to find the back and forth conversation with the guy I bought it from. Looking him up on Facebook, he lists his employer as Telus, and that's the same company the phone was locked to when I first got it. I'm assuming he stole it from his store and that's why it took so long to be reported stolen, they obviously don't do inventory that frequently.

The phone is now completely useless to me except going on Wifi. My next step is going to the police and the management of the store with my tale. It sucks though that I'm still without a phone and being a student don't have 500 bucks to go out and buy a new one. So ill be stuck without a phone until we can hopefully resolve this.

I now see how stupid imei blocking is. I know it's an attempt to stop phones being stolen, but realistically, it only hurts the people buying the phone and not the thief. A thief can steal a phone and have it sold, long before the imei shows up on the blacklist register. All this is going to do is kill the used phone market.

What are your guys thoughts? Any cops or lawyers, I'd love to hear your take on my options. Thanks guys.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-14 01:01 AM
    That really sucks.
    I'm not your attorney and this isn't legal advice. In the US there's crime victim aid funds, you might want to see if Canada has that. Also, if you have the guys address of contact information, you can likely take him to small claims court (if they have that in Canada), get a judgment, and garnish his wages (if he's working and even has money, which is unlikely if he's selling stolen phones).
    01-20-14 01:06 AM
    I've never even heard of that site until just now

Z10
    01-20-14 01:18 AM
    That really sucks.
    I'm not your attorney and this isn't legal advice. In the US there's crime victim aid funds, you might want to see if Canada has that. Also, if you have the guys address of contact information, you can likely take him to small claims court (if they have that in Canada), get a judgment, and garnish his wages (if he's working and even has money, which is unlikely if he's selling stolen phones).
    Here in Quebec we have 'la cours des petites creance' where you go for money claims up to 7k (soon to be 15k with the CPC reform) and you're not allowed to be represented by a lawyer, so I guess the ROC should also have something like this. Problem is, everything that has to do with going to court takes a sh*tload of time and effort... so me being a law student i'd say go for it, but only if you're willing to wait for months and then some for being heard...Best bet is to 'blackmail' him (telling him you know he stole it at his store and you want a refund or else you'll go see he's manager) and then after you get your refund go to the store manager and get him fired that'll teach him a lesson

Posted via CB10
    01-20-14 01:29 AM

Z10
    Think of eBay (Kijiji is owned by ebay) but locally and in Canada.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-14 01:35 AM
    Start with the store manager, preferably the area manager...determine if the dirt bag did steal the phone from them. If yes, see if they have a victim fund you could apply too...TELUS is a huge company...they might. Ask who the media could contact (if they stonewall you) as you feel it's a strong public interest topic and you're going to contact "the people helper" at your local TV stations...as it's important for people to learn the realities of how a huge company treated a struggling student who was defrauded by one of their employees.

Good luck...hope they play ball with you.

Zee Z30 pozted thiz
    Last edited by Shanerredflag; 01-20-14 at 06:09 AM.
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-20-14 05:51 AM
    So you know exactly who it is that sold you the phone.
    That makes it pretty easy.
    I would just go knock on their door, perhaps with a couple buddies to back me up and video tape the discussion.
    I would clearly and calmly explain the situation, point out and explain my backup help, and give him two options.
    Option one: give me all of my money back immediately. If need be, we go to an ATM together.
    Or Option Two: I Call the police right now right here as I am standing in front of your door.
    Make no further threats, and tell him there is no negotiating or Option three.
    Give him 5 seconds to clear his mind and pick an option.

Do not let people take advantage of you and think they can get away without consequences.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-14 10:46 AM
    Darn I am sorry to hear that and let's hope everything will turn out well. I always buy my phones on Kijiji and now I'm getting scared and I hope nothing will happen to my Z30.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-14 11:10 AM
    Try to find the guy again and knock his teeth out, show him you can't be stepped on or fooled
    anon(5906760) likes this.
    01-20-14 12:21 PM
    Try to find the guy again and knock his teeth out, show him you can't be stepped on or fooled
    Or this

Zee Z30 pozted thiz
    bungaboy and Dirtymike14 like this.
    01-20-14 04:27 PM
    Or this

Zee Z30 pozted thiz
    And he could say the 500 he gave for the q10 was actually for the lawsuit settlement/dental bills

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    01-21-14 03:01 PM
    $500 for a Q10?/ We paid less than that for new Z10s.

Your only 2 options are to get a refund - good luck with that, or report it and him to the police.
    01-23-14 07:57 PM
    Telus eh? Had you said Rogers I could mail you my old 8520. Keys are a little wiggly and it had the old OS, but it still works and is great for chat and email. Would be better than nothing.

Anyone have a Telus clunker to donate until he gets a replacement?

Magnificently composed using CB10 on my BB Z10!
    01-23-14 08:13 PM

Z10
    eBayclassifieds.com is what it's called in usa
    01-23-14 08:24 PM
    Wow,

You know who the person is and where he works? isn't that like 90% of the battle?

I like the Telus area manager /store route

Digicel Jamaica Official10.2.1.1925 release
    01-24-14 06:51 AM
    Locking up stolen phones does hurt thieves because it makes buying used phones rather risky. This puts the price down and makes stealing phones less lucrative. Second, not all phones that are stolen are sold. Lots of thieves have their phone locked up once it is reported.

I know it sucks to be the end of the line but at the same time your story will likely help others to not make the same mistake.

Posted via my Z30
    01-24-14 09:18 AM