10-31-08 02:09 PM
33 12
tools
    SInce it is Halloween I thought I would give my two cents. It amazes me that at my school, Halloween is EMBRACED---kids dress up, there is a Halloween party and parade - the whole nine yards. Yet, we have to have a "Holiday" party, can't celebrate Easter, can't mention religion. Here is some history on Halloween:

Definition----IT IS NOT A HOLIDAY!!!!!

10 dictionary results for: holiday
    Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
    hol•i•day ˈhɒl ɪˌdeɪ - Show Spelled Pronunciation[hol-i-dey] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun
    1. a day fixed by law or custom on which ordinary business is suspended in commemoration of some event or in honor of some person.
    2. any day of exemption from work (distinguished from WORKING DAY).

3. a time or period of exemption from any requirement, duty, assessment, etc.: New businesses may be granted a one-year tax holiday.
    4. a religious feast day; holy day, esp. any of several usually commemorative holy days observed in Judaism.
    5. Sometimes, holidays. Chiefly British. a period of cessation from work or one of recreation; vacation.
    6. an unintentional gap left on a plated, coated, or painted surface.
    –adjective
    7. of or pertaining to a festival; festive; joyous: a holiday mood.
    8. suitable for a holiday: holiday attire.
    –verb (used without object)
    9. Chiefly British. to vacation: to holiday at the seaside.

HISTORY of Halloween---

Ancient Origins - Real Story of Halloween - Halloween - History.com

History of Halloween - Halloween Comes to America

This is just my two cents, if you celebrate Halloween, great for you and if you don't great for you too-----make an informed decision though!!!!
    10-31-08 09:03 AM
    Neither is St Patricks day but it gets a parade, go figure

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-31-08 10:27 AM
    I know in Mexico, 'Halloween/Day of the Dead' is a day to remember the dead, family or not. I have no idea why its celebrated here in the states.

10-31-08 10:34 AM
    It's just a day to have fun! There's nothing wrong with that

10-31-08 10:35 AM
    Buzz kill. Just enjoy it as an opportunity to have a party, dress up in a costume maybe, or let your kids cut loose a bit.

Forget the religious implications of it, and how it started as a pagan ritual, etc if it bothers you, and just have fun.

Not to mention that technically it falls under item 4 or item 7 on your list, or it did when it started and Christianity tried to make their festivals/feasts fall on the same days.

10-31-08 10:36 AM
    I know in Mexico, 'Halloween/Day of the Dead' is a day to remember the dead, family or not. I have no idea why its celebrated here in the states.

So just cause someone moves to america does that mean they just become robots and leave behind their family history and tradition? If you have all forgotton our families came here at some point? Just cause it was generations ago doesn't mean they didn't bring their own ways and traditions with them!

If you aren't comfortable with halloween don't celebrate it! It really isn't that hard. I don't like halloweens backround either, but if kids are having harmless fun leave them alone.

10-31-08 10:43 AM
    Buzz kill. Just enjoy it as an opportunity to have a party, dress up in a costume maybe, or let your kids cut loose a bit.

Forget the religious implications of it, and how it started as a pagan ritual, etc if it bothers you, and just have fun.

Not to mention that technically it falls under item 4 or item 7 on your list, or it did when it started and Christianity tried to make their festivals/feasts fall on the same days.

Didn't I say to each his own, just my two cents!!!!!!
    10-31-08 10:45 AM
    Life is to short to worry about Halloween being a holiday or not. Just enjoy the day and pretend your a kid again.

Last edited by wortez; 10-31-08 at 10:58 AM.
    10-31-08 10:47 AM
    So just cause someone moves to america does that mean they just become robots and leave behind their family history and tradition? If you have all forgotton our families came here at some point? Just cause it was generations ago doesn't mean they didn't bring their own ways and traditions with them!

If you aren't comfortable with halloween don't celebrate it! It really isn't that hard. I don't like halloweens backround either, but if kids are having harmless fun leave them alone.

Where in my post does it say that 'We' as Mexicans have abandoned our traditions? I celebrate Day of the Dead! Don't attack someones comments with a statement that was never said!

10-31-08 10:48 AM
    Eh. Holiday or not, I love halloween. I love getting dressed up and carving pumpkins and everything that goes along with this day. Its definitely my second-favourite holiday -- err, non-holiday?

10-31-08 10:53 AM
    Oh Please.

With Holidays such as "Festival of Sleep Day 01/03" or "National Surf and Turf Day 02/01"

How can you complain about Halloween?

Bizarre American Holidays
    10-31-08 11:13 AM
    Where in my post does it say that 'We' as Mexicans have abandoned our traditions? I celebrate Day of the Dead! Don't attack someones comments with a statement that was never said!

You have "no idea why its celebrated in the states" sounded kind of like you didn't think it should be. I'm not trying to argue with anyone, its just annoying when people (no one specifically) think just because they don't celebrate something means everyone else shouldn't. I may have interpreted your comment wrong but that's what it sounded like to me.

10-31-08 11:22 AM
    I Can't see why I can't Acknowledge and Remember the Dead just because I'm not Mexican.

That's Some Silly Logic Your Using.
    10-31-08 11:29 AM
    You have "no idea why its celebrated in the states" sounded kind of like you didn't think it should be. I'm not trying to argue with anyone, its just annoying when people (no one specifically) think just because they don't celebrate something means everyone else shouldn't. I may have interpreted your comment wrong but that's what it sounded like to me.

That's entirely the wrong way I was going with that comment. I was just trying to say that there's a meaning to it in Mexico, I just didn't know if there was a meaning to it here in the states.

Sorry for coming off the way I did. Thanks for clearing that up!

10-31-08 11:29 AM
    Party poopers.

10-31-08 11:31 AM
    I Can't see why I can't Acknowledge and Remember the Dead just because I'm not Mexican.

That's Some Silly Logic Your Using.
    Some 'silly' logic?!? Are you serious? Please read the post prior to this one.

10-31-08 11:32 AM

See Above.
    10-31-08 11:38 AM
    I never once said that Mexico is the only country that can celebrate the dead. I was just saying that that was the meaning of Day of the Dead in Mexico. I understand that everyone celebrates the lives of their lost loved ones. I wasn't trying to say that Mexicans are the only ones that can. Sorry if you took it that way

10-31-08 11:43 AM
    Well than maybe if you elaborated more, you would give us less to interpret.

Thus minimizing our chances of understanding your statements incorrectly.
    10-31-08 11:46 AM
    Yeah no doubt. I'll be sure to do so next time!

10-31-08 11:49 AM
    Ya dont like Halloween much do ya? LOL!
    10-31-08 11:51 AM
    You guys are making a mountain out of an anthill.

Now the premise/history behind the holiday coming up next month (Thanksgiving)...give the dead Native Americans and their ancestors a break. Native Americans were slaughtered, raped and pillaged. There wasn't any sitting on benches happily side by side with the Pilgrims.

I think the 'Thansgiving' holiday was created as a guise to mask underlying shame. Not to mention; most other holidays now have lost their true meaning..and have simply turned into huge 'stimulus checks' to the nation's economy.
    10-31-08 12:02 PM
    You guys are making a mountain out of an anthill.
    Agreed. Everyone needs to simmer down.
    10-31-08 12:40 PM
    I love Halloween, if you don't like it then stay inside...
    10-31-08 01:04 PM
    It's a Pagan holiday, but it's a holiday. Lol
    10-31-08 01:51 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD