Haiti Earthquake

Guys if this is the bad place for posting this please mod move it to the correct section
    I am shocked from what happened and it is a very urgent news to us all
    God be with them

This is part of the news

A 7 3-magnitude earthquake which struck off the coast of Haiti is feared to have caused major loss of life in and around the capital, Port-au-Prince
    Haiti's envoy to the US said it was a "catastrophe of major proportions"
    Buildings, including a hospital, are said to have collapsed, and rescue efforts are under way
    The quake, which struck about 15km (10 miles) south-west of the capital, was quickly followed by two strong aftershocks of 5 9 and 5 5 magnitude
    The tremor hit at 1653 (2153 GMT), the US Geological Survey said Phone lines to the country failed shortly afterwards
    A Reuters reporter in Port-au-Prince said he had seen "dozens of dead and injured people" in the rubble of fallen buildings

Karel Zelenka, a Catholic Relief Services representative in Port-au-Prince, told colleagues in the US "there must be thousands of people dead"
    The aid worker had managed to phone his colleagues before communication links went down
    The BBC's Nick Davies in neighbouring Jamaica says the ground apparently shook for more than a minute in Haiti
    Local people, he said, were using anything they could get their hands on - including farm equipment - to help release those trapped in the quake
    Our correspondent adds that, as the poorest country in the western hemisphere, Haiti is likely to need international aid in order to cope with the quake's impact
    'Three million affected'
    US President Barack Obama said in a statement that his "thoughts and prayers" were with the people of Haiti and America stood ready to assist them

UN officials said they were having trouble contacting their mission
    We are trying to get in touch with our people on the ground but we are experiencing communication problems, which is not unusual in a disaster such as this," spokeswoman Stephanie Bunker told AFP news agency in New York
    "I just held on and bounced across the wall," he said "I just hear a tremendous amount of noise and shouting and screaming in the distance "
    He said he had just spoken to a government colleague in anqam com/page-proxy html]بروكسي Port-au-Prince:
    "He had to stop his car just about half an hour ago, and take to the streets, start walking, but he said houses were crumbling on the right side of the street and the left side of the street
    "He does not know whether he would reach his home, not knowing what he would find, because he had a bridge toanqam com/anqam-10385 html]فور شير
    cross to get there "
    Mike Blanpied of the US Geological Survey said that, based on the location and size of the quake, about three million people will have been severely shaken by its impact
    "This quake occurred under land as opposed to off-shore, so a xn--mgbgh8fj net/]ون بيس
    lot of people were directly exposed to the shaking coming off that earthquake fault, which was quite shallow," he told the BBC
    " wrote Max Levine
    An Associated Press cameraman saw the wrecked hospital in Petionville, a hilly suburb of the capital, and Henry Bahn, a visiting official from the US Department of Agriculture, said he had seen houses which had tumbled into a ravine
    "Everybody is just totally, totally freaked out and shaken," said Mr Bahn, who described the sky as "just grey with dust"
    He said he had been walking to his hotel room when the ground began to shake
    BBC News website readers in the Dominican Republic, which borders Haiti on the island of Hispaniola, said they had also felt the quake
    "We felt a swaying of the building for 5-10 seconds All the lamps were swinging There was a 20-second pause and then another similar sway We rushed out of the building with many others to the street "
    He said rocks were strewn all over the place, and the ravine where several homes had fallen in was "just full of collapsed walls and rubble and barbed wire"
    BBC News website readers in the Dominican Republic, which borders Haiti on the island of Hispaniola, said they had also felt the quake
    "My family is on the 8th floor of a tower in downtown Santo Domingo," wrote Max Levine
    "We felt a swaying of the building for 5-10 seconds All the lamps were swinging There was a 20-second pause and then another similar sway We rushed out of the building with many others to the street "
    In the immediate aftermath of the quake, a tsunami wxn--mgbgh8fj net/]ناروتو
    atch was put out for Haiti, Cuba and the Bahamas, but this was later lifted

Guys don't forget to supplicate for them we will be with you guys

Angara Samuel

From Haiti
    01-13-10 07:30 AM
    that sux i feel bad for them but im just as broke here in nj
    01-13-10 10:21 AM
    I feel bad for all the people over there. Just gonna keep them in my prayers and yall should do the same.
    01-13-10 10:24 AM
    text HAITI to 90999 and you will donate $10 to the red cross haiti relief and you will see the cahrge on your next cell phone bill.
    01-13-10 10:30 AM
    text HAITI to 90999 and you will donate $10 to the red cross haiti relief and you will see the cahrge on your next cell phone bill.
    After doing a bit of google research, much to my disbelief, this APPEARS to be true!
    01-13-10 11:02 AM
    Yep, and now the Obama is authorizing the US to spend more money we don't have to help them!!!!!! Don't get me wrong, natural disasters are horrible occurances, and I am not trying to be mean, but we were the first country to throw money we don't even have too them, and when we in the US have our own disaster, then what, Haiti bails us out? I don't think so!!!! I agree we should assist in helping, but to what extent, and how is it that our country is literally going into disrepair becouse of our economy, and yet we are still trying to save other countries.. Again, I'm not saying we shouldn't help, just pointing out the obvious, we don't have to save everyone all the time. There are plenty of other countries that are able to substitute for us....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-10 12:49 PM
    god my heart is just breaking for those people, i hope the 90999 thing is true, i did it and it appears to be. i'll be mad as **** if it turns out to be a scam.
    01-13-10 01:54 PM
    01-13-10 02:11 PM
    Yep, and now the Obama is authorizing the US to spend more money we don't have to help them!!!!!! Don't get me wrong, natural disasters are horrible occurances, and I am not trying to be mean, but we were the first country to throw money we don't even have too them, and when we in the US have our own disaster, then what, Haiti bails us out? I don't think so!!!! I agree we should assist in helping, but to what extent, and how is it that our country is literally going into disrepair becouse of our economy, and yet we are still trying to save other countries.. Again, I'm not saying we shouldn't help, just pointing out the obvious, we don't have to save everyone all the time. There are plenty of other countries that are able to substitute for us....

Lead by example. Also after 9/11 many of the poorer nations donated what they could (food, supplies, money, soldiers, etc). This is the same idea if you have a younger brother or sister. You may have to make things hard on you to bail them out. Personally I see it as a "look we are still the world power, and no domestic issues can stop us" kinda message.

01-13-10 04:52 PM
    My brothers leaving on Friday to go there. He's a medic in the Navy. Better than Afghanistan I guess which was supposed to be his next trip.
    01-13-10 10:16 PM
    god my heart is just breaking for those people, i hope the 90999 thing is true, i did it and it appears to be. i'll be mad as **** if it turns out to be a scam.
    It's not a scam, I saw a tweet from the whitehouse's verified twitter account, AND it was mentioned on my local news tonight. It's 100% legit, Verizon & ATT are doing it for sure, and I believe Tmobile & Sprint are also. All the money goes to Haiti via the Red Cross. You pay 10 extra on your next phone bill. I can handle that!
    01-13-10 10:26 PM
    I gave my 10 I hope it helps.

01-13-10 10:41 PM
    my $10.00 is in. It would be a Wonderful idea if the Cell Phone Companies matched their customers dollars for this relief.

God Bless all that are effected by this terrible tradegy.
    01-13-10 10:51 PM
    Texted in my $10 earlier tonight after seeing the info for it. Such a tragic event, awful to see. My heart goes out to all those affected by this disaster, they will be in my prayers.
    01-14-10 01:24 AM
    I am glad what I said was true - I saw it on twitter and passed it on!
    01-14-10 09:28 AM
    01-14-10 09:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD