Ok so I'm trying to renew my expired gym membership which used to be $200/year. Now the gym is saying they don't honor/offer that same rate; and that the closest thing I'd come to that deal is $290/2-year contract.

What do you guys think...decent price? How much do you pay?
    10-20-09 01:28 PM
    I pay $30 a month with no contract. Been that way for 5 years.
    10-20-09 01:29 PM
    I pay $30 a month with no contract. Been that way for 5 years.
    I know a lot of people like the freedom of not being "locked" into contracts; because no one can say for certainty what can happen in a span of two years; let alone what can happen at the end of any given day...but mathematically speaking; the price that is paid at $25-30/month for a month-to-month (i.e. no contract) would come out higher in a span of one year.

I guess what I want to see when it comes down to is that I want opinions on whether the price of $290/two-year contract is a fair deal before I sign the dotted line. I'd also like to know what others here are paying for their membership.
    10-20-09 01:37 PM
    Free as a benefit at work.

It's not a great gym though- my employer has a deal with the local Hilton to use it's "livingwell" gym, and it's up to the job (enough equipment and always clean etc) just not massive, and there's no free refreshments.
    10-20-09 01:48 PM
    Does your town have any rec centers? Belong to the rec center here for $65 a year and they have all the equipment the local fitness center does. Granted it's not as big, but it gets the job done.
    10-20-09 01:49 PM
    I know a lot of people like the freedom of not being "locked" into contracts; because no one can say for certainty what can happen in a span of two years; let alone what can happen at the end of any given day...but mathematically speaking; the price that is paid at $25-30/month for a month-to-month (i.e. no contract) would come out higher in a span of one year.

I guess what I want to see when it comes down to is that I want opinions on whether the price of $290/two-year contract is a fair deal before I sign the dotted line. I'd also like to know what others here are paying for their membership.
    Yeah but it's better than being locked into a contract (for me). I know too
    many people with a bad credit report with "Bally's" on it.
    10-20-09 01:55 PM
    I'm getting ripped off.

I pay 80 a month for an absolutely worthless gym membership that doesn't even provide towels any longer for me.
    10-20-09 01:56 PM
    25.00 a month at Urban Active (Golds Gym) no contract but my bro just got 399 for 2years at the same place but he was good friends with the manager at the time
    10-20-09 02:08 PM
    I run at the park - Free
    10-20-09 02:31 PM
    Yeah but it's better than being locked into a contract (for me). I know too
    many people with a bad credit report with "Bally's" on it.
    Yeah. This gym said they don't take up-front cash payment (which I'd prefer)...they only take credit/debit card information for monthly automatic withdrawal (which I don't feel comfortable with).

I'm getting ripped off.

I pay 80 a month for an absolutely worthless gym membership that doesn't even provide towels any longer for me.
    Wow $80?! Forget towels; a massage with a happy ending better come at that price.

25.00 a month at Urban Active (Golds Gym) no contract but my bro just got 399 for 2years at the same place but he was good friends with the manager at the time
    $399 for two years? Yeah; my $290 price for two years is beginning to sound much better.
    10-20-09 02:48 PM
    I paid $299 for two years at 24-hour fitness. Its a pretty good deal, works out to something like $12 a month.

I also pay for a MMA gym membership so I can go to jiu jitsu and such and thats a fair bit more expensive at $70 a month

I like paying everything up front (which is what I did at 24) so that I dont have to worry about paying monthly. I know I have the membership for two years and **** I can go take showers there if I cant pay my rent and get evicted from my apartment. Peace of mind, its good
    10-20-09 02:54 PM
    I've been with them for 3 years now. It's ridiculous- and how's turned into trash.

I want out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-09 02:55 PM
    What's a gym??? I surf, golf and play hockey. That keeps me pretty fit.
    10-21-09 12:50 PM
    Take a look at your local YMCA. Granted your membership price will depend on your income, but since I just graduated and have a very low income its $18.70/mon. for my gf and I. So $9.35/mon for me or $112 a year. The YMCA I go to is pretty new, great equipment, very big, indoor basketball courts, huge indoor pool and a few class workout rooms. All classes are free (with membership) as well.
    10-22-09 01:12 AM
    $85 a month for 24 Hour Fitness Ultra Sport.
    10-22-09 02:58 AM
    32 a month, Bally's=no issue yet

10-22-09 03:12 AM
    $99 a year for any 24 Fitness except "country club"
    10-22-09 02:45 PM
    I had Ballys for $30 a month, this was access to all the gyms in the US, so if I move or go out of town no problem. I also had no contract. It was about $360 a year which was kinda high, but I only used it for 6 months. I felt like it was kinda worth it lol.
    10-24-09 11:21 PM
    40 euros @ fitness first

10-25-09 02:35 AM
    Yeah. This gym said they don't take up-front cash payment (which I'd prefer)...they only take credit/debit card information for monthly automatic withdrawal (which I don't feel comfortable with).
    If a gym can not take cash up front for a 1 or 2 year contract upfront, I say walk away. Like you, I don't want their paws into my checking account or credit card, for a monthly ding, even if they say you can cancel at anytime, what they mean is, you must cancel with the company that handles their "paper", and it must be in writing and must land on someones desk 30 days before you get that monthly ding (no matter when the postmark says it was mailed), otherwise... you will end up paying for a month after you quit. And often times even longer, because they make it almost impossible to talk to their finance office at any time, other than when setting up the account.

Wow $80?! Forget towels; a massage with a happy ending better come at that price.
    While that sounds like a great time in a gym, not sure you can get a workout, towel and happy ending for that little these days.

$399 for two years? Yeah; my $290 price for two years is beginning to sound much better.
    $290 for two years (no joining or reup charge, no fees for classes, pool use or court uses, other than personal training), is a pretty good deal.
    10-25-09 03:34 AM
    $55/mo for Gold's Gym for 2 people.
    10-25-09 04:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD