My Passport isn't allowed on T-Mobile with the Mint Mobile sim card. If using older phones was for security, let me tell you what I've done to shut down commercial spying and tracking on Android. Go look at the website for GrapheneOS, they can describe it better that me. You must use a Pixel Phone, use Web Based installer which actually use their web page with the Pixel connection to your laptop. First make sure Google Drivers are installed, they weren't for me and I had to download Google Drivers on to my Laptop because the laptop won't find the Pixel. Just follow their web page and click on their screen with phone connected. Which includes Unlocking, downloading the correct GrapheneOS for your Pixel , then Flash it to the phone.

During flash ignore all messages on phone, wait patiently until the laptop says Flash is done, Install is done.

The GrapheneOS include all core basic apps including their own chrome based web browser. As it is you can use any of their included apps with no fear of commercial exploration. From there you can use apps from fdroid, and some google store apps using Aurora Store downloaded through fdroid, for me I was encrypted ProtonMail which is installed downloaded through Aurora Store anonymously, then down load ProtonVPN directly from fdroid, all free, I use Mega NZ for cloud auto storage for picture uploads, Simple Mobile Music Player from fdroid, or VLP media player. Download NewPipe to replace youtube and it allows download of music to phone, I pay for a basic set of Proton apps which includes a Calendar, and an in the works cloud drive in addition to afore mentioned Proton mail and VPN. Then I use Silence messaging downloaded through fdroid, but a good messaging app is included in install of GrapeneOS. Notes by Simple mobile. Simple Mobile took basic Android Apps and stripped all google/android components.
    11-13-21 07:05 AM
    My Passport isn't allowed on T-Mobile with the Mint Mobile sim card. If using older phones was for security, let me tell you what I've done to shut down commercial spying and tracking on Android. Go look at the website for GrapheneOS, they can describe it better that me. You must use a Pixel Phone, use Web Based installer which actually use their web page with the Pixel connection to your laptop. First make sure Google Drivers are installed, they weren't for me and I had to download Google Drivers on to my Laptop because the laptop won't find the Pixel. Just follow their web page and click on their screen with phone connected. Which includes Unlocking, downloading the correct GrapheneOS for your Pixel , then Flash it to the phone.

During flash ignore all messages on phone, wait patiently until the laptop says Flash is done, Install is done.

The GrapheneOS include all core basic apps including their own chrome based web browser. As it is you can use any of their included apps with no fear of commercial exploration. From there you can use apps from fdroid, and some google store apps using Aurora Store downloaded through fdroid, for me I was encrypted ProtonMail which is installed downloaded through Aurora Store anonymously, then down load ProtonVPN directly from fdroid, all free, I use Mega NZ for cloud auto storage for picture uploads, Simple Mobile Music Player from fdroid, or VLP media player. Download NewPipe to replace youtube and it allows download of music to phone, I pay for a basic set of Proton apps which includes a Calendar, and an in the works cloud drive in addition to afore mentioned Proton mail and VPN. Then I use Silence messaging downloaded through fdroid, but a good messaging app is included in install of GrapeneOS. Notes by Simple mobile. Simple Mobile took basic Android Apps and stripped all google/android components.
    GrapheneOS is basicly LineageOS with MicroG added (which you can do yourself).

There are a large number of devices supported by LineageOS, but the Pixels are good choices there too. I'd also look at the Asus Zenfone 8.
    11-13-21 08:23 AM
    "GrapheneOS is basicly LineageOS with MicroG added (which you can do yourself).

GrapheneOS does not come with MicroG, sounds like you need to review the GrapheneOS website. GrapheneOS is hardened much better then LineageOS.

There are a large number of devices supported by LineageOS, but the Pixels are good choices there too. I'd also look at the Asus Zenfone 8."

There are more devices supported on LineageOS but LineageOS is just not as hardened as GrapheneOS, plus GrapheneOS comes with it's own chrome based security browser,, everything needed to go started, but zero anything google out of the box.
    11-13-21 02:32 PM
    "GrapheneOS is basicly LineageOS with MicroG added (which you can do yourself).

GrapheneOS does not come with MicroG, sounds like you need to review the GrapheneOS website. GrapheneOS is hardened much better then LineageOS.

There are a large number of devices supported by LineageOS, but the Pixels are good choices there too. I'd also look at the Asus Zenfone 8."

There are more devices supported on LineageOS but LineageOS is just not as hardened as GrapheneOS, plus GrapheneOS comes with it's own chrome based security browser,, everything needed to go started, but zero anything google out of the box.
    My mistake. I was thinking of /e/. Weird because I know GrapheneOS very well.

But yes, all three would be good choices for a Google-free Android experience.

LineageOS has the advantage of being supported by a huge range of devices.

CalyxOS is another one that has an emphasis on security, but "not at the expense of convenience" as per their motto. MicroG can also be easily enabled if desired. This may be the happy medium choice - not too hot, not too cold.

GrapheneOS, although the most hardened, does have some popular-app compatibility issues unfortunately.
    Last edited by conite; 11-13-21 at 04:16 PM.
    11-13-21 04:02 PM
    @EndRacism , the carriers aren't the ones killing off BlackBerry. BlackBerry is killing off BlackBerry. Carriers are dropping phones that don't conform to their VoLTE requirements. That's for all kinds of phones, not just BlackBerry.
    Laura Knotek, pdr733 and EndRacism like this.
    11-13-21 04:05 PM
    @EndRacism , the carriers aren't the ones killing off BlackBerry. BlackBerry is killing off BlackBerry. Carriers are dropping phones that don't conform to their VoLTE requirements. That's for all kinds of phones, not just BlackBerry.
    What happened to me was I was on a T-Mobile pre-paid sim. Purchased for the T-Mobile McLaren. But I also worked with my Passport. So I then switched to Mint Mobile which wholesales T-Mobile sims and it was then that the service on the Passport was killed. We are all being herded into what the Plutocracy demands.
    bh7171 likes this.
    11-14-21 06:48 AM
    What happened to me was I was on a T-Mobile pre-paid sim. Purchased for the T-Mobile McLaren. But I also worked with my Passport. So I then switched to Mint Mobile which wholesales T-Mobile sims and it was then that the service on the Passport was killed. We are all being herded into what the Plutocracy demands.
    I’m familiar with Mint from a CrackBerry test promotion as I had service with them for a backup line. Although Mint is a T-Mobile reseller, I do believe this issue could be a Mint restriction.

As long as T-Mobile still has 3G, you should be able to use your Passport unless VoLTE compatibility is now required. If that’s case, it simply proves that carriers simply are kicking off ALL non-VoLTE phones not meeting certain minimum protocol standards.
    11-14-21 07:25 AM
    I’m familiar with Mint from a CrackBerry test promotion as I had service with them for a backup line. Although Mint is a T-Mobile reseller, I do believe this issue could be a Mint restriction.

As long as T-Mobile still has 3G, you should be able to use your Passport unless VoLTE compatibility is now required. If that’s case, it simply proves that carriers simply are kicking off ALL non-VoLTE phones not meeting certain minimum protocol standards.
    If I still had any sim directly from T-Mobile, Which isn't going to happen, The Passport would probably work again, for awhile. The only reason I had a T-Mobile direct sim was for the OnePlus 7T Pro I bought from T-Mobile. I had to have service for a specific length of time before they would allow any other sim, not even Mint/T-Mobile sim was allowed.
    11-14-21 08:08 AM
    We are all being herded into what the Plutocracy demands.
    ROFL/LMAO. You have to be very desperate (because of a damn phone on top of all) if you resort to conspiracies
    Why is so difficult to understand that we are talking about a 8 year old phone, which by hardware features, will be not compatible with current networks after 2G and 3G goes away ? (Dont know why it was delisted now, but the PP would be useless after 2G and 3G is switched off anyway). And any phone which is not HW compatible will not work, not only those of the Canadian fruit brand.

Plus even if the supposed plutocracy existed and it actually wanted to influence people in their mobile phone choices, they would not bother with an obscure, has-been Canadian brand whose users probably constitute of 0.000001 percent of all smartphones out in the wild. Its simply not worth the effort, LOL.
    11-14-21 09:22 AM
    ROFL/LMAO. You have to be very desperate (because of a damn phone on top of all) if you resort to conspiracies
    Why is so difficult to understand that we are talking about a 8 year old phone, which by hardware features, will be not compatible with current networks after 2G and 3G goes away ? (Dont know why it was delisted now, but the PP would be useless after 2G and 3G is switched off anyway). And any phone which is not HW compatible will not work, not only those of the Canadian fruit brand.

Plus even if the supposed plutocracy existed and it actually wanted to influence people in their mobile phone choices, they would not bother with an obscure, has-been Canadian brand whose users probably constitute of 0.000001 percent of all smartphones out in the wild. Its simply not worth the effort, LOL.
    Stop making so much sense.
    pdr733 and app_Developer like this.
    11-14-21 09:43 AM

A plutocracy is simply a system where those at the top of the financial pyramid steer (manufactured consent) the general population to whatever gives them more control and maximizes their profits. All of the older phones were all we had available to de-google with LineageOS, etc. After all the changes go through in cellular, and with hardware that cannot be shut down simply through change in OS. The phone we pay $600 - $1200 are not in truth, not ours. We are paying Apple, Google, Amazon to take every phone number we dial, every text we send, every email we send, track us 24/7, and sell what is our private lives to others. But sure, many don't care, don't care like drug addicts, with a mentality of , whatever it takes to keep the drugs in our body. But some do get offended when we pay for a tool and it isn't ours, we have no control over it and worse, strangers are observing every aspect of our lives.
    bh7171 likes this.
    11-14-21 10:11 AM
    A plutocracy is simply a system where those at the top of the financial pyramid steer (manufactured consent) the general population to whatever gives them more control and maximizes their profits. All of the older phones were all we had available to de-google with LineageOS, etc. After all the changes go through in cellular, and with hardware that cannot be shut down simply through change in OS. The phone we pay $600 - $1200 are not in truth, not ours. We are paying Apple, Google, Amazon to take every phone number we dial, every text we send, every email we send, track us 24/7, and sell what is our private lives to others. But sure, many don't care, don't care like drug addicts, with a mentality of , whatever it takes to keep the drugs in our body. But some do get offended when we pay for a tool and it isn't ours, we have no control over it and worse, strangers are observing every aspect of our lives.
    Part of your comment is rather confuse. It was stated in this thread that there are current phones in the market which can be "de googled" by virtue of installation of LineageOS, GrapheneOS, etc.
    And this still not explains that network upgrades happened in the past (during the transition from 2G to 3G, Google was barely a startup, during the transition from 3G to 4G Apple only recently launched the iphone range) irrespectively of present day big tech companies. To suggest that shutdown of 3G and introduction of 5G is actually a plot by Google, Facebook et al is absurd. Hopefully in this last point you agree.
    dmlis likes this.
    11-14-21 10:28 AM
    Part of your comment is rather confuse. It was stated in this thread that there are current phones in the market which can be "de googled" by virtue of installation of LineageOS, GrapheneOS, etc.
    And this still not explains that network upgrades happened in the past (during the transition from 2G to 3G, Google was barely a startup, during the transition from 3G to 4G Apple only recently launched the iphone range) irrespectively of present day big tech companies. To suggest that shutdown of 3G and introduction of 5G is actually a plot by Google, Facebook et al is absurd. Hopefully in this last point you agree.
    This.

Also, go back further, in the US, the transition from analog cellular to digital GSM began in the early 90s - before Apple, Google or Facebook were around.

Most US carriers really began their customer transitions in the early 2000s - mostly around '03-'04.

Of course, it took s few more years as the last analog signals were finally turned off in Feb 2008
    pdr733 likes this.
    11-14-21 11:05 AM
    Except for the fact, at least in the USA, that carriers are supporting plenty of factory unlocked devices as long as those devices support the later, newer VoLTE protocols that began in the 2015-2016 era. That's hardly a plutocracy from a choice standpoint.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-14-21 12:44 PM
    Just want to reiterate that CalyxOS is probably the best option as a middle ground between privacy/security and usability.

I have it running on a Pixel 3.

The installation instructions are clear, Android 12 is around the corner, and monthly updates are provided OTA. It also has MicroG which spoofs Google Play Services - allowing most popular apps to run.

https://calyxos.org/

https://itsfoss.com/android-distributions-roms/
    Last edited by conite; 11-16-21 at 12:24 PM.
    dmlis likes this.
    11-16-21 11:52 AM
    Except for the fact, at least in the USA, that carriers are supporting plenty of factory unlocked devices as long as those devices support the later, newer VoLTE protocols that began in the 2015-2016 era. That's hardly a plutocracy from a choice standpoint.
    People joke that all SLAB are the same.... well if that's the case do you really need more that the 20 options most carrier's have?
    11-16-21 01:22 PM
    And a conspiracy theory is just a way to avoid facing uncomfortable realities or a way to avoid putting in the effort to understand a complicated subject.

It's a cop-out. Always has been, and always will be.
    11-17-21 12:01 PM
    And a conspiracy theory is just a way to avoid facing uncomfortable realities or a way to avoid putting in the effort to understand a complicated subject.

It's a cop-out. Always has been, and always will be.
    Of course. But apparently there are people like OP and the elderly Canadian going under the name IPlod and whatever who are so upset about such a mundane thing like a mobile technology being phased out or a has-been obsolete mobile OS being retired that they construct a sophisticated conspiracy to explain something the 99.99% of people don't even care about. (In case of BB10 don't even know)
    11-17-21 01:24 PM
    Of course. But apparently there are people like OP and the elderly Canadian going under the name IPlod and whatever who are so upset about such a mundane thing like a mobile technology being phased out or a has-been obsolete mobile OS being retired that they construct a sophisticated conspiracy to explain something the 99.99% of people don't even care about. (In case of BB10 don't even know)
    I think it’s really attempt to drive up the price of aluminum foil by creating artificial demand from the millions of BB10 users that don’t exist…..
    pdr733 likes this.
    11-17-21 04:38 PM
    When will the new BB11 OS gets released? Any planned update way from BB10->BB11?
    12-22-21 12:04 PM
    When will the new BB11 OS gets released? Any planned update way from BB10->BB11?
    You forgot the /sarcasm or /joke tag.
    Hopefully your comment wasn't serious.
    12-22-21 12:27 PM
    LMAO - per some other CB Forum members - February 30th
    12-22-21 02:32 PM
    I am excited!
    12-23-21 04:59 AM
    A discussion developed under the classic forum regard privacy, security, and nation states. In it, I observed that there wasn't anything inherently better about a Google developed phone built in Taiwan (or an iPhone) as the animating philosophy of the CCP and those entities was more or less the same.

Then I saw this

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology...id-19-lockdown

The world has changed in many ways in the past 20 years and the evolution of tech is only one of them.
    12-27-21 03:34 AM
    A discussion developed under the classic forum regard privacy, security, and nation states. In it, I observed that there wasn't anything inherently better about a Google developed phone built in Taiwan (or an iPhone) as the animating philosophy of the CCP and those entities was more or less the same.

Then I saw this

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology...id-19-lockdown

The world has changed in many ways in the past 20 years and the evolution of tech is only one of them.
    Anonymized information sent to Health Canada to study population movement during Covid.
    12-27-21 08:04 AM
30 12