Google is trying to take over the world......

Paranoia or legitimate fear?

It seems to me, the more I hear about Google the more concerned I become that they are embedding themselves into far too many aspects of our everyday lives.

Evidence:

1. First started when I heard the story about Google "accidentally" collecting wireless data from the Google street view cars. (including personal banking/email info)

2. Then there is the street view itself.... no privacy violations there, even though your can see people through their own windows and backyards

3. Chrome browser ... check out the original privacy policy they drafted (nuff said)

4. Android mobile phone OS.... Now one of the fastest growing mobile OS's on the market. If you think they don't have some way of tracking your mobile activities through it, your sadly mistaken

5. Search Engine... It used to be a simple no BS search engine (prob still the best) but recently when I decided to sign up for the custom homepage setup... the asked for my cell phone number to confirm I wasn't a spammer............ Uhh Google..... you couldn't come up with some less invasive way of deterring spammers?

6. Gmail integrating with EVERYTHING

Now I understand many of these things provide functions to make our everyday lives easier. My problem is that I keep feeling like there is a bigger picture to all this. Like somewhere there is a group of Umbrella Corporation style business men behind the scenes wanting to know what everyone is doing and who they are doing it with. I wouldn't be surprised if the next thing you see from Google is "GooSpace" or "GoogleBook"

I enjoy my internet anonymity.

I don't enjoy monopolies that could potentially access data from ALL aspects of my life.

Google = Skynet

This is John Conner saying ..... Keep Fighting !

"Queue ominous Terminator theme song"
    Last edited by watty85; 11-10-10 at 09:40 AM.
    11-10-10 09:37 AM
    2. Then there is the street view itself.... no privacy violations there, even though your can see people through their own windows and backyards
    You are wrong about this. I live in the united states of America. It is illegal for a company to photograph your property w/o your expressed written consent. I know this for a fact! I e-mail Google and asked them to remove the picture showing my house. and they did.

They are trying to take over the free enterprise world. They are trying to make your life easier. bottom line. and they will do it through advertisements to pay for the services you use.

I guess every street light has a little camera in it, and every newborn is having a GSP chip placed in the neck as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-10 09:52 AM
    #2 was meant to be heavily laced in sarcasm if it wasn't obvious........
    11-10-10 09:56 AM
    #2 was meant to be heavily laced in sarcasm if it wasn't obvious........
    I understand this is in the off topics, and i understand this post might be laced with sarcasm. but we see these very same threads all the time, gravy might be a little different but the meat and tatters are just the same.

11-10-10 09:59 AM
    I was under the impression that what is viewable from the street is considered public. It works that way for photographers, paparazzi, etc. I don't see how Google street view is much different, since many photographers are for profit.
    11-10-10 10:01 AM
    @MJNEID

Wasn't claiming it to be anything new.. just something that I had on my mind and wanted to express it.......
    Last edited by watty85; 11-10-10 at 10:07 AM.
    11-10-10 10:03 AM
    My main issue with street view is that sometimes the cameras are mounted very high on the vehicles and thus allows a peer over the standard backyard fence.
    11-10-10 10:04 AM
    Google FTW!
    11-10-10 10:34 AM
    11-10-10 11:07 AM
    The new mascot for CHROME!
    11-10-10 11:35 AM
    I was under the impression that what is viewable from the street is considered public. It works that way for photographers, paparazzi, etc. I don't see how Google street view is much different, since many photographers are for profit.
    But the paparazzi isn't taking pictures of places. posting them on internet for everyone to use as location based information. Granted you can see places names and what not in the background but that isn't the intent of the photos. And pictures of places same thing. If i go to Over the Rhine, Cincinnati to capture photographs of older historic buildings, and the landowner comes out and ask for me to not photograph their building i am not allowed to by law. I am not the property holder nor the lien holder.

11-10-10 11:57 AM
    How dare you question our chrome awesomeness. Sic 'I'm, Bruno!

11-10-10 08:39 PM
    But the paparazzi isn't taking pictures of places. posting them on internet for everyone to use as location based information. Granted you can see places names and what not in the background but that isn't the intent of the photos. And pictures of places same thing. If i go to Over the Rhine, Cincinnati to capture photographs of older historic buildings, and the landowner comes out and ask for me to not photograph their building i am not allowed to by law. I am not the property holder nor the lien holder.

I guess my understanding of the law is that essentially anything that can be seen in or from a public place (I.e. the street) is pretty much fair game to be photographed. Of course it could get sticky since they're doing it as a for profit company rather than a private photographer. You have no right to, nor expectation of privacy if you are visible from a public place. The only recourse you'd have would be if they were on your property taking the pictures in which case that would be trespassing.
    11-10-10 09:00 PM
    You are wrong about this. I live in the united states of America. It is illegal for a company to photograph your property w/o your expressed written consent.
    Um, no. In the United States it is perfectly legal to photograph and distribute anything you can see from public property. You might be subject to tort claims for things such as infliction of emotional distress, but I doubt it. Street View is legal, and in all reality Google had no duty to remove any picture (at least in the US) from it.

That being said, I think Google is getting slightly overly powerful. But there's no law against that, and well, if you don't like it don't use their stuff.

Edit: Sandman beat me to it
    Last edited by SCrid2000; 11-10-10 at 10:54 PM.
    11-10-10 10:50 PM
    In the OP, I wasn't really trying to push forth the idea that street view was illegal... simply that it had the potential to be invasive.

Lets use an alternate scenario...

Older male is standing on top of a car on a public street taking photographs of your children playing in your backyard.

Obviously this is an extreme scenario, but the principal is still the same.

Is that not going to draw the attention of authorities? Even though it MAY be perfectly legal.

(P.S, I live in Canada but our Rights/Freedoms are very similar to those in the U.S)
    11-11-10 08:40 AM
    Um, no. In the United States it is perfectly legal to photograph and distribute anything you can see from public property. You might be subject to tort claims for things such as infliction of emotional distress, but I doubt it. Street View is legal, and in all reality Google had no duty to remove any picture (at least in the US) from it.

That being said, I think Google is getting slightly overly powerful. But there's no law against that, and well, if you don't like it don't use their stuff.

Edit: Sandman beat me to it
    Well all i can tell you is this. I email Google and asked them to remove me from the Street View listing. and a few weeks later i got an email stating that my request had been fulfilled

and if you look on this picture you will see there are no cameras in front of my house.

i had to remove my address from the address bar.
    Last edited by mjneid; 11-11-10 at 09:21 AM.
    11-11-10 09:09 AM
    Well all i can tell you is this. I email Google and asked them to remove me from the Street View listing. and a few weeks later i got an email stating that my request had been fulfilled

and if you look on this picture you will see there are no cameras in front of my house.

i had to remove my address from the address bar.
    All that means is they likely decided they'd just honor such requests as it doesn't hurt them too much to skip a house here and there. Probably a public relations decision is all. Says nothing about the legality of what they're doing.
    11-11-10 10:57 AM
    Oh geez...... first microsoft and bill gates were the devil and the skynet company. All the sudden its google........ let's see who is the terminator, the real schwartzeneger ( however its spelled )

11-11-10 12:34 PM
    All that means is they likely decided they'd just honor such requests as it doesn't hurt them too much to skip a house here and there. Probably a public relations decision is all. Says nothing about the legality of what they're doing.
    I think giving people this option was part of the agreement they reached to settle the investigation about the data collection being done by the street view vehicles.
    11-11-10 12:53 PM
    I think giving people this option was part of the agreement they reached to settle the investigation about the data collection being done by the street view vehicles.
    Possibly.

But I think that might be a whole different ball game to tell you the truth. I would guess that they had to clear the street view legality before they even started the photographing.

The data collection investigation wasn't about the overall legal validity of streetview. It was primarily focused on the DEFINITELY illegal collection of personal and private data via WIFI that was being emitted around the streetview cars.

One question I have for anyone with knowledge of this situation is.. Were encrypted WIFI's info being cataloged? and if so HOW were they accidentally obtaining encrypted data? Seems to me that is not something that could be easily done.
    11-11-10 01:29 PM
    "… it’s now clear that we have been mistakenly collecting samples of payload data from open (i.e. non-password-protected) WiFi networks, even though we never used that data in any Google products,"

MY Bad, it looks like only non-encrypted WIFI's were harvested.

BTW, found that link on Google
    11-11-10 01:34 PM
    I've been off Street View for several YEARS. The Data Collection happened fairly recently IIRC.
    11-11-10 01:40 PM
    Yeah, they took you off street view as part of their public relations tack. It's the exact same as how stores have absolutely no obligation to accept returns of any sort for any reason. They do so people will have good will towards the store and continue to shop there.
    Google wants you to use google products. If you're pissed at them about something like that, you probably won't. So they make you happy, and you keep providing them with info they can use to make money from via directed advertising.
    11-11-10 04:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD