Just to show how big of stones this team has, they closed out every series this playoff season on the road....That's huge
    06-04-08 10:13 PM
    I've seen the wings route the caps in 98. Celebrated cup win in Washington. Crowd was cheering and stuff.
    Pens crowd was booing a bit. Sort classless if you ask me. I wasn't expecting a welcome wagon but don't boo players raising the cup, especially osgood.

Somebody mentioned that Crosby was whinin after the game again? Did a local newspaper interview. Don't know if its true but it wouldn't shock me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-08 08:42 AM
    Oh, one more thing.

I was wrong about hossa. He showed some heart in the last 3 games. Props to him. I'd suggest that he think about taking less money to stay with the pens next year. It would be to his advantage.

06-05-08 09:53 AM
    Not sure what Crosby was saying in his post game interview he was mumbling and crying like a little girl with a skinned knee...lol

As far as Hossa is concerned, he was pretty much the Pens best player in the Finals and would be wise to take less money to stay there, unless of course the Wings sign him...lol
    06-05-08 10:22 AM
    There's nothing to be ashamed of.
    This is a young Pens team.

We're along for the ride for the many playoff runs to come.
    Those words sting you more than seeing Chris Osgood holding the Cup.
    But it's true.

Make no mistake though; the Stanley Cup champion is never a fluke.

And this year is no different.
    The Red Wings deserved to win the Stanley Cup. They were simply better.

The feeling you had when that clock went all zeros has already started to dissipate.
    By next week it will fade some more.

Pretty soon, you'll look up and it will be July.
    Kevin Lowe will overpay for someone.
    You'll blink your eyes and it will be September.
    Training camp will bring season previews.
    The first week of October, it will all begin again.

But having to see shots of the Wings holding the Cup on Mellon ice during Versus' broadcasts next season as the Pens steam towards the Finals again is not something we're looking forward to.

It will haunt us.
    It will taunt us.

But so be it.
    It will serve as a reminder of what was and what could have been.

We'll wait all our lives for that Game 7 on Saturday night in Detroit, Michigan, that will never come.
    06-05-08 10:27 AM
    it was a good series...penguins showed ALOT of potential....be interesting to see what happens with them last year...detroit def overpowered them...as far as crosby whining, i'd like to see the quotes...just remember he's 20, what were we doing when were 20? whining about some bs college test or some serious hangover?....two good teams though, hope they can keep their teams together next year...
    06-05-08 10:29 AM
    word. I don't think the wings need him though. His style of playing wouldn't work with their system.

Wings need to sign Brad Stuart first and foremost. Lock up Zetts to a long term deal next year. Bring back Chelios if he wants to play more and they are pretty much back in business for next year.

I'm thinking Hasek and Drake will retire. ****, maybe Chelios too since he was the 3rd guy to hoist the cup. I thought Zetts should have gotten it 3rd, then Pavel but whatever. Chelios was celebrating like it was his final season.

I never question the Wings acquisitions. Look, they picked up Brad Stuart right before the deadline. Hossa was picked up the same time and was traded for more. Look who won their first cup. Look who was consistent and a bigger piece of the puzzle. Look who made less. Gotta love Kenny Holland.

Oh, and now, I don't have to hear anymore Pierre McGuire and his rank, Pens hardon talk.

06-05-08 10:30 AM
    JRussett:

Somebody posted that on the BS Espn forums. Don't know the source but as I said, it wouldn't shock me if it was true.

Yeah, he's 21. He's young and foolish. But, he's the Captain of an NHL team. He needs to respect that privelage. Even if he didn't say anything last night, his recent history of saying the wrong things needs to be fixed. This loss will allow him to grow up immensely.

06-05-08 10:34 AM
    you're def right....who was the last 21 year old captain to play in a stanley cup final? not sure if there was one...def going to be a huge learning experience for someone who's going to be around for the next 15-20 years....detroit played solid hockey since last sept, some of the best consistent hockey the league has seen in years...
    06-05-08 10:36 AM
    Nonetheless guys....GREAT game, overall awesome series!!!
    I LOVE a sport where both teams bring everything they have to the ice.
    06-05-08 10:38 AM
    id agree with melrose and cherry. Crosby was not the same player after that hit from stuart. he still managed to set some shots up but he was less a player after that check. kudos for him, malone and gonchar to help prove nhl-ers are tougher than football players. lol

06-05-08 10:38 AM
    Some funny stuff from the post game interviews:

Bob Erry interviewing Hank Zetterberg

(after listening to Zetterberg describe something during the on ice interview) Bob: 'I don't know what you just said but congratulations on tonight's victory'.

Tomas Holmstrom in the locker room. Interviewed by NHL network:

"My hamstring is hurt, I have a sports hernia... I am a bad enough skater as it is, I don't need this ****."

06-05-08 11:05 AM
    lol...that is some funny sheet
    06-05-08 02:45 PM
    No offense..But it wasn't THAT GREAT a series. Wings pretty much DOMINATED those youngsters.

If you think about it, if that puck is cleared "like it should have been!" that series was over the 5th game of the series.30 seconds away from a 4-1 series. That pretty much is a trouncing.
    The Pens were shut out the first two games of a Stanley Cup Final!

Great series for WINGS fans, but overall...umm...not so great IMHO.

Pens have potential to be scary good. We saw that this year.

Pens are not quite ready..we saw that in the finals.
    06-05-08 05:56 PM
    if the wings dominated the pens that bad then that last goal with 30secs left wouldnt have forced 3 OT's and a game 6...wings def the better team, much cleaner and refined and thats why they won....
    06-06-08 09:47 AM
    Sorry to see that your "no way they are going to lose" pens lost... Such a shame. I think I almost shed a tear, NOT!!!!
    06-06-08 04:22 PM
    Oh well the Pens had a great season and it was enjoyable again to watch hockey in Pittsburgh into late May. I can not agree more with the fact that we, the Pens, were dominated in just about every phase of the game. But I will say that the referees were questionable for both teams, so a series with no consistency does benefit the gentlemen that are almost ready to draw from Social Security... That being said I think any great team will overcome adversity and Congrats to the Red Wings for being the last ones standing. Also, as a Pittsburgher, I want to say that our fans were great this year and especially in the Cup final for cheering for the Wings at the Post game celebration. Great season and hopefully the ratings will continue to climb for the NHL. BTW one other question, How come the Wings werent selling out in the early rounds of the playoffs?? Fair whether fans or just spoiled??
    06-08-08 04:29 PM
    I bleed Orange'n'Black (Flyers) but I wanted to see Pittsburgh win this one. Question is, will the Pen's be able to hang on to all that talent amid the need for a new arena?
    06-08-08 06:36 PM
    wings did sell out every home game this playoff season. Whether or not Illitchs bought the tickets or not, it still shows as a sellout.

I taped every wings game this year (as I have for the last 11 years). I heard some boos when osgood lifted the cup. I heard some boos when Zetterberg lifted the cup. Whatever. Pens fans weren't classless but booing is lame. Guess they're not used to seeing cup celebrations that often.

JRussett:

im confused. Are you saying that the wings weren't the better team?

06-09-08 11:06 PM
    no no no...thats exactly what i was saying, they were def the better team...i was refering to the "dominance" comment made about the overtime game...wings were clearly the better team from game one
    06-10-08 07:34 AM
    ah, i gotcha.

in other news:

Hasek retires. I put him in the top 5 goalies of all time...either 4 or 5 depending on the argument.

and...ron wilson is the leaf's new head coach. congrats to the leafs on several more years of sub-par performances. Wilson is a horrible coach who has been milking his mild success for years. You'll win a few playoff series now. Don't think about a cup though. Yer screwed

06-10-08 04:31 PM
    if the wings dominated the pens that bad then that last goal with 30secs left wouldnt have forced 3 OT's and a game 6...wings def the better team, much cleaner and refined and thats why they won....
    [COLOR="Red"]Dude, they brought in a 6th man and tied it up, but you can't ignore that they were 30 seconds away from a 4-1 series loss (2 being complete shutouts) Coming on strong at the end of a game does not take away from the majority of DOMINANT play the Wings had. They schooled the Pens. And they should have. The Pens schooled many a team this season as well, but not in the Finals.[/COLOR]

Oh well the Pens had a great season and it was enjoyable again to watch hockey in Pittsburgh into late May. I can not agree more with the fact that we, the Pens, were dominated in just about every phase of the game. But I will say that the referees were questionable for both teams, so a series with no consistency does benefit the gentlemen that are almost ready to draw from Social Security... That being said I think any great team will overcome adversity and Congrats to the Red Wings for being the last ones standing. Also, as a Pittsburgher, I want to say that our fans were great this year and especially in the Cup final for cheering for the Wings at the Post game celebration. Great season and hopefully the ratings will continue to climb for the NHL. BTW one other question, How come the Wings werent selling out in the early rounds of the playoffs?? Fair whether fans or just spoiled??
    Spoiled and broke we are! lol This has been a big discussion here in the D the last few years. the tickets were just too high for a lot of folks. And they wanted us to buy entire series of games for the playoffs. It helped this season that you could buy just one series at a time.

[B]lol about social security checks! We are an older team, but some youngsters really stepped up this season as well. And about the Pens fans reactions, it seemed to me that they were just kind of standing there quitely, not clapping or anything..with some spattering of booing. It made it even harder for me to respect the Pens. First Crosby's total disrespect of the Wings talent in the first two games, and then the fans. Also, i heard, and this could be a lie but I doubt it, that they were checking Wings fans at the doors so they could not bring in any octopi. hmph![

N E Way, undeniably Champs, wit the back up goalie in net! /B]
    06-14-08 08:45 PM
    You take hasek and chelios, maybe Drake out of the age equation and the wings have a comparably young team. ****, lidstrom is old enough to be some of the pens dad and he outplayed many of them. Age for the wings is not an issue.

06-16-08 08:31 AM
    thats not necessarily fact yet daryll...

i think the ownership might change and it may not go through...

-db
    what do we have here??!!

ESPN - Lightning hire Melrose as new head coach - NHL

where you been daddybear?! Thought you'd bring your eating utensils for all that crow we saved for you. That's ok, there's always not next year for the Pens.

Your team is falling apart man! Stop the insanity! Malkin's getting wooed by the Super League in Russia. Hossa's gonna test the market. Malone will probably go bye bye. Oh, and the cup was dented at Chelli's Chili a couple weeks ago. Don't worry, the cup's ok. Those Wings are used to carrying it around.

I'm just teasing. Football season is almost here.

Last edited by daryllh; 06-23-08 at 02:13 PM.
    06-23-08 02:09 PM
    The 'Ning trade for Ryan Malone and Gary Roberts. They then sign Ryan Malone to a 7 year deal.

That's a bad thing for the Pens. They do have money for Hossa now but they needed Malone bad.

06-30-08 11:13 AM
233 ... 78910
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD