I qouted because it's so annoying to even try to edit on a damn Blackberry. Had I been on my laptop, I would have quoted the first sentence. I agree with you, but can also see when it's obviously not due to being 'pedantic.' I'm sorry that that bends your twig.
    05-11-09 06:52 AM
    Add to the list of forum aggrivations: Those that quote messages for no apparent reason.

On another forum, I was part of an elite force that attempted to make the world a better place... The Pedantic Police. The Other was very different from most forums, but a few of us would be known for looking for and pointing out errors in other's posts......and there's multiple spelling and grammar errors in the post....
    That would be 'aggrAvations.'
    05-11-09 07:00 AM
    As an English/linguistics major, I have to say that proper English has its place, in formal mediums. CrackBerry is an online forum, I don't think we're all sitting at our computers typing in tuxedos with perfect, "proper English." To a linguist there is no such thing as "proper English," and that alterations or changes to a language are merely part of the culture or slang. That's my 2 pence.

PS my credentials are available upon request.
    Last edited by cnorton; 05-11-09 at 07:30 AM.
    05-11-09 07:20 AM
    If I have to decipher the first sentence, I just move on.
    05-11-09 07:52 AM
    That would be 'aggrAvations.'
    Yes, it happens. But I'll hold my hand up and say I screwed up, rather than saying "that's just how I do it because it's stupid to do it the right way!"
    As an English/linguistics major, I have to say that proper English has its place, in formal mediums. CrackBerry is an online forum, I don't think we're all sitting at our computers typing in tuxedos with perfect, "proper English." To a linguist there is no such thing as "proper English," and that alterations or changes to a language are merely part of the culture or slang. That's my 2 pence.
    Slang is different, as is txt speak. I do say 'prolly', and I'm ok with random bits of txt speak... And I'm not looking for "perfect, proper English." But make a darned attempt to sound semi-intelligent. There's a difference between a spelling / grammar mistake and ignorance...
    If I have to decipher the first sentence, I just move on.
    Amen.....
    05-11-09 10:16 AM

I graduated from same field. And, since I have basically relayed the sentiment in all 260 threads of the same ilk, I will just say I agree with user CNorton wholeheartedly. Why does this subject matter so much on a tech forum? I do not understand. Oh well. Carry on.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-09 10:22 AM

On point. CB isn't The Washington Post. When it counts, be able to produce. When it don't, don't worry about it.
    05-11-09 10:40 AM
    Jef, just yankin' yer chain.
    05-11-09 10:45 AM
    Using shortcuts and slang grammer really doesn't bother me that much in forum posts. The only time it gets a little under my skin is when people go overboard with the shortcuts and lingo and you need to be a cryptographer to figure it out what they're saying.
    05-11-09 10:57 AM
    Well with Jef having 17 posts since last year, most of your communication has probably been going on in the "Off-Topic" section, where people are going to be even less "official." I'm a big fan of everyone being entitled to his or her opinion, but this is an online tech source. I agree that if the person asks a completely uncomprehendable question, they should expect some correction.
    05-11-09 10:57 AM
    Well with Jef having 17 posts since last year, most of your communication has probably been going on in the "Off-Topic" section, where people are going to be even less "official." I'm a big fan of everyone being entitled to his or her opinion, but this is an online tech source. I agree that if the person asks a completely uncomprehendable question, they should expect some correction.
    +100

Anyone happen to notice, there are no Barbis or Kens on this thread?
    05-11-09 11:03 AM
    *Walks in...* Hi!
    05-11-09 11:48 AM
    Wie r u all soh all abowt speling n gramer like its like impotant its not everybuddy nos wut I meen so kmwa yew guysr stupid.

05-11-09 11:57 AM
    Wut?

05-11-09 12:04 PM
    Wie r u all soh all abowt speling n gramer like its like impotant its not everybuddy nos wut I meen so kmwa yew guysr stupid.

Well, Ken is finally here, is that Barbi there, too?
    05-11-09 12:16 PM
    Wut?

You're a mess....
    05-11-09 12:19 PM
    You're a mess....
    Ha! I believe thats the 2nd time you have told me that *getting a complex*

05-11-09 12:27 PM
    and another thing, i like it when i can tell someones accent by the way they are typing.. it adds spice to otherwise mundane words. im no linguistic marvel, but i do enjoy studying it
    05-11-09 12:33 PM
    Ha! I believe thats the 2nd time you have told me that *getting a complex*

"Mavis", it's because I don't know what else to say, after reading some of your posts. You crack me up!
    05-11-09 12:38 PM
    And again, there's a difference between an ignorant post and someone making some quick mistakes... But the people who ALWAYS post like this:
    are the ones that aggravate me. (Yes, I know that was sarcasm)
    Jef, just yankin' yer chain.
    Good. Someone has to keep me honest.

Last edited by JustPlainJef; 05-11-09 at 07:37 PM. Reason: I made an oops...
    05-11-09 07:37 PM
    I'm uber 1337 cause I type with cool words and stuff and no punctuction proper spelling grammar and like the use of run on sentences .... Seriously threads like this are pointless...

05-11-09 07:53 PM
    So are you but we still let you in...

Most threads on the internet are pointless. This one let's someone rant a little. Point served...
    05-12-09 05:16 AM
    So are you but we still let you in...

You beat me to it.
    05-12-09 09:25 AM
    Slacker...

05-12-09 09:33 AM
    Wild applause! Thank you.

05-12-09 08:55 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD